Need some advice please!

Old Aug 22nd 2016, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Chloe81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Need some advice please!

Hi, my boyfriend is from Florida (born and raised) and I am wanting to go and move over there permanently. When I visited him in July we went to the immigration offices and they just confused me even more. I currently work as a teaching assistant here in the UK, I have a bachelors degree in art and design and I hold a TEFL/TESOL certificate which means I am qualified to teach English as a foreign language. I would love to find out any information from any teachers/teaching assistants who moved over there as to who I should contact. I'm visiting at christmas and returning at easter for 3 months. I'm so confused by it all I just need to see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel or for someone to tell me there isn't any lol!
Thanks guys x
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 6:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some advice please!

You can't get a visa to teach, it is effectively, if not actually, impossible. A few private schools might hire foreign teachers needing a visa, but you'd have to have special skills and/or be a superlative performer.

Under your circumstances, the best, and possibly only way for you to get a visa allowing you to live and work in the US is to get married. ..... May I be the first to congratulate you on your up-coming nuptials.

BTW the US Customs and Immigration Service (USCIS) is not set up to answer questions. Mostly you can't find anyone to answer questions, but even if you do get answers they are often wrong, and cannot be relied on, even if you were deliberately mislead or lied to - the US Supreme court said so in a ruling a few years ago.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 22nd 2016 at 6:40 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 6:38 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chloe81
Hi, my boyfriend is from Florida (born and raised) and I am wanting to go and move over there permanently. When I visited him in July we went to the immigration offices and they just confused me even more. I currently work as a teaching assistant here in the UK, I have a bachelors degree in art and design and I hold a TEFL/TESOL certificate which means I am qualified to teach English as a foreign language. I would love to find out any information from any teachers/teaching assistants who moved over there as to who I should contact. I'm visiting at christmas and returning at easter for 3 months. I'm so confused by it all I just need to see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel or for someone to tell me there isn't any lol!
Thanks guys x
Hi,

Are you also looking for information about the immigration process through marriage to the boyfriend, through a teaching job or just information about getting a teaching job?
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Well eventually we would like to get married. When we visited immigration office they gave us forms for alien fiance and another one for after. I understand that you have to get married within the three months of applying for the alien fiance visa? I was enquiring about teaching jobs or jobs in schools as this is where I have the most experience. I thought maybe contacting Florida Dept for Education and maybe they might give me some ideas. Any help is appreciated, big or small, though
Thanks
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 7:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Well eventually we would like to get married. When we visited immigration office they gave us forms for alien fiance and another one for after. I understand that you have to get married within the three months of applying for the alien fiance visa?
Correct, so that was actually good advice, just perhaps not the advice you were expecting.
..... I thought maybe contacting Florida Dept for Education and maybe they might give me some ideas. .....
No point, they won't sponsor you for a visa. .... Imagine the ruckus there'd be if your local education authority started sponsoring foreign teachers for visas at £3,500-£7,000 a time? .... It's the same in the US - public education is not well funded in the first place, so they aren't going to spend $5,000-$10,000 a time on visas to bringing in foreign teachers.

In any case you will need to go through the Florida teaching certification process, so you won't be fully qualified to teach anyway.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

OK thanks for the advice. I will keep looking. Maybe the best bet is to get married like we plan to do anyway and then look for a job when I'm over there. � ����
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Well eventually we would like to get married. When we visited immigration office they gave us forms for alien fiance and another one for after. I understand that you have to get married within the three months of applying for the alien fiance visa?
Not quite. Applying for a fiance visa will take around 8-10 months start to finish. You go home, file forms, go to medicals in London, go to an interview in London etc. It will have a validity period of 6 months from your medical (so usually a bit less than 6 months from when it was issued), this is the time period you have to enter the US. Once you have entered the US you have 90 days (not three months) to get married. Then you apply for Adjustment of Status which is when you get your greencard.

Alternatively if you are still in the US right now, you could get married then go home and apply for a spouse visa. Same amount of time roughly but when you enter the US on that visa you'll get your greencard straight away (ish).
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 7:17 pm

OK thanks for the advice. I will keep looking. Maybe the best bet is to get married like we plan to do anyway .....
"Best bet"? ...... Almost certainly your only bet. I meant exactly what I said in post #2, above.

BTW if you get married and apply for a marriage visa (CR-1) you'll be able to work as asson as you arrive and be free to come and go from the US. If you go down the fiancée visa (K-1) route you will likely face a minimum five months when you will not be permitted to work AND you won't be able to leave the US during that period without voiding your application to adjust to a married status and get a green card.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Not quite. Applying for a fiance visa will take around 8-10 months start to finish. You go home, file forms, go to medicals in London, go to an interview in London etc. It will have a validity period of 6 months from your medical (so usually a bit less than 6 months from when it was issued), this is the time period you have to enter the US. Once you have entered the US you have 90 days (not three months) to get married. Then you apply for Adjustment of Status which is when you get your greencard.

Alternatively if you are still in the US right now, you could get married then go home and apply for a spouse visa. Same amount of time roughly but when you enter the US on that visa you'll get your greencard straight away (ish).
Good summary, same as mine, worded slightly differently, that's all. ..... Except that arriving on a CR-1 you, functionally speaking, get your green card immediately - the I-551 stamp in your passport IS a green card, and you can report to work immediately, literally right there in the airport if you have a job to go to.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for explaining it all to me, really helpful and I'll see where we go from here!
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 3:29 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

For a fincee visa
http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flo...

US Citizen can apply for a special visa to allow a non-citizen (their fiancée) to enter the country in order to get married to a US citizen inside the US.
O
nce issued, the K1 visa will allow the non-citizen to enter the United States legally, for 90 days in order for the marriage ceremony to take place. Once you marry, the non-citizen can remain in the US and may apply for permanent residence. While USCIS processes the application, the non-citizen can remain in the US legally
The US citizen income must meet the require minimum to fulfill the affidavit of support
currently $20025 for a 2 person household