Naturalization interview!

Old Aug 17th 2017, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all
Default Naturalization interview!

Hi, haven't posted for a while. I used to be so much more anxious and freaked out about anything to do with immigration. Not sure why, I felt like "they were out to get me"! I'm pretty calm now. Just want to be sure I don't make any silly mistakes so the process gets delayed.

I have my naturalization interview booked in Atlanta Sep 7. Letter states if applying as the spouse of a US citizen bring marriage cert and some other stuff. Am I right in thinking this does not apply to me because I applied based on having been in the country for 5 years (even though I am still married)? So I don't need to bring that stuff? My husband was married twice before so I'd rather not dig out and bring all those papers if I don't have to.

I've had 2 traffic tickets, not recent ones. Not DUI. Do I need to bring any documentation re those?

Think that's it. Thanks! I'm excited.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 5:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Naturalization interview!

Originally Posted by slummymummy
Hi, haven't posted for a while. II have my naturalization interview booked in Atlanta Sep 7.
WOW you live in south Florida and have to travel to Atlanta, Georgia for your interview? Never heard of that. But perhaps you have moved and just haven't changed your located on BE

Letter states if applying as the spouse of a US citizen bring marriage cert and some other stuff. Am I right in thinking this does not apply to me because I applied based on having been in the country for 5 years (even though I am still married)? So I don't need to bring that stuff? My husband was married twice before so I'd rather not dig out and bring all those papers if I don't have to.
No, your marriage is not a part of your eligibility criteria as you are naturalizing under the normal 5 year rule. Your tax returns will show that you are still married and filing together. Those are required at the interview.

I've had 2 traffic tickets, not recent ones. Not DUI. Do I need to bring any documentation re those?

Think that's it. Thanks! I'm excited.
No, they are traffic tickets and if the fine was under $500 you don't need to bring any 'proof' with you. But if you have the payment slips handy, bring them.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rete
WOW you live in south Florida and have to travel to Atlanta, Georgia for your interview? Never heard of that. But perhaps you have moved and just haven't changed your located on BE

No, your marriage is not a part of your eligibility criteria as you are naturalizing under the normal 5 year rule. Your tax returns will show that you are still married and filing together. Those are required at the interview.

No, they are traffic tickets and if the fine was under $500 you don't need to bring any 'proof' with you. But if you have the payment slips handy, bring them.
Thanks for the reply! I just changed my location. We moved to the ATL suburbs a year ago.

So you're saying I should bring our tax return? It doesn't state that on the letter unless I missed it.

Oh ok I'll check if I have any proof of payments for the tickets.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you will need tax returns or IRS tax transcripts for the last five years, and at my interview two weeks ago, the officer kept the tax transcripts I brought, so if you submit original returns, make copies first.

The second page of the interview notice letter lists what to bring. It does say bring proof of marriage if applicable, and I somehow missed this until I was sitting in the waiting room at the Javitts Federal Building waiting to be called to my interview! I was bricking myself about this oversight, but the officer never asked for it.

The officer did go through my name changes as an infant. I had brought the documentation for them, althogh she didn't need it as my file still had the copies of themI supplied for my immigrant visa interview. If you changed your name at marriage I'd definitely recommend bringing your marriage certificate (and a copy) just in case, even though you're not applying on the basis of marriage.

Also, the officer asked for two passport photos, which wasn't listed as a requirement. She explained they weren't vital but sometimes the digital photo taken at your biometrics appointment is not of sufficient quality for the naturalization certificate. She told me to be sure to bring passport photos to the oath ceremony in case they need them.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rpjs
Yes you will need tax returns or IRS tax transcripts for the last five years, and at my interview two weeks ago, the officer kept the tax transcripts I brought, so if you submit original returns, make copies first.

The second page of the interview notice letter lists what to bring. It does say bring proof of marriage if applicable, and I somehow missed this until I was sitting in the waiting room at the Javitts Federal Building waiting to be called to my interview! I was bricking myself about this oversight, but the officer never asked for it.

The officer did go through my name changes as an infant. I had brought the documentation for them, althogh she didn't need it as my file still had the copies of themI supplied for my immigrant visa interview. If you changed your name at marriage I'd definitely recommend bringing your marriage certificate (and a copy) just in case, even though you're not applying on the basis of marriage.

Also, the officer asked for two passport photos, which wasn't listed as a requirement. She explained they weren't vital but sometimes the digital photo taken at your biometrics appointment is not of sufficient quality for the naturalization certificate. She told me to be sure to bring passport photos to the oath ceremony in case they need them.
OMG. Just found the second page, I had somehow lost it in my mess. You are both right, it does say tax returns. And a bunch of other stuff. I will read through it carefully and tick off everything that applies.

It actually says marriage cert and termination of previous marriages for both you and your spouse, it seems to mean not just for those applying on basis of marriage, because below that it lists something else only for those filing as a spouse of a US citizen (after 3 years).

Better safe than sorry, I'm going to bring everything that they might or might not need, originals and copies.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road

OMG. Just found the second page, I had somehow lost it in my mess. You are both right, it does say tax returns. And a bunch of other stuff. I will read through it carefully and tick off everything that applies.

It actually says marriage cert and termination of previous marriages for both you and your spouse, it seems to mean not just for those applying on basis of marriage, because below that it lists something else only for those filing as a spouse of a US citizen (after 3 years).

Better safe than sorry, I'm going to bring everything that they might or might not need, originals and copies.
Definitely take any marriage based stuff. We had our interview last week (based on 5 year rule). Mine barely touched on marriage but my (second) wife was asked to produce my decree absolute from my first marriage (which I had in my folder in another room). The officer was eventually satisfied with our marriage certificate which she did have. She was also asked to name my first wife which was a bit odd.

I didn't realize we were supposed to take tax returns... lucky that didn't come up.

Good luck!

Doug.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dougster75
Definitely take any marriage based stuff. We had our interview last week (based on 5 year rule). Mine barely touched on marriage but my (second) wife was asked to produce my decree absolute from my first marriage (which I had in my folder in another room). The officer was eventually satisfied with our marriage certificate which she did have. She was also asked to name my first wife which was a bit odd.

I didn't realize we were supposed to take tax returns... lucky that didn't come up.

Good luck!

Doug.
Thanks! Did you have your ceremony yet? My neighbor who is Aussie had his interview back in May and they had scheduled his ceremony on the same day! Sadly he couldn't give up his green card there and then because he travels a lot for work. As of now he's still waiting for his ceremony. Maybe I'll get mine on the same day too, I would not turn it down.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road

Thanks! Did you have your ceremony yet? My neighbor who is Aussie had his interview back in May and they had scheduled his ceremony on the same day! Sadly he couldn't give up his green card there and then because he travels a lot for work. As of now he's still waiting for his ceremony. Maybe I'll get mine on the same day too, I would not turn it down.
We are waiting for the official scheduling but our District (Southern District Court of Texas) only has ceremonies once a month so we are likely to be on the next scheduled one on Sept 20. Apparently you get there at 7am and it never starts until 10... ergh. Would've been nice to have got it all done in a day though. Hope yours is quicker!
Old Aug 24th 2017, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Shezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond reputeShezi59 has a reputation beyond repute

I waited about a month for my oath ceremony after interview - but since I'd fitted a quick trip in back to the UK, it suited me. Had my oath on August 11th. I applied for US passport the next day and had that in hand after 6 days (expedited service).

Good luck to both of you!
Old Aug 25th 2017, 4:57 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

I had my Interview in late June, case was approved on July 4th and I'm still waiting to hear when my Oath Ceremony will be

Officer retained my last 3 years tax returns.
Didn't ask for any passport-sized photos.
I was done in about 10 minutes.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

I had my interview today at the Atlanta field office and I passed! I have my ceremony on Monday 9/11. Interesting date...

Traffic was awful of course but I still got there 7:50 for an 8:00 appt. Checked in and was called for my interview around 8:10. The female officer was nice but not overly friendly, did not make conversation or anything. I was pretty nervous by then but held it in. Started to feel better once we got going.

Started the test, I got asked easy questions, one was What happened on Sep 11 2001? I answered Terrorists attacked the United States. Another was How old do you have to be to vote for president. I got 6 or 7 in a row correct and then she stopped asking. She was reading them off a paper so she didn't pick them herself I think. Wrote down my answers and ticked a box for correct.

The English test was very easy. I had to read a short sentence and write a short sentence.

Then she went through my application. Name, date of birth, what country I'm from, I'm married, my husband has been married twice before (but didn't ask to see any documents). Then have you ever been a terrorists and all that. I answered NO about 20 times, then came Are you willing to defend the constitution. YES.

Asked if I had made any trips outside the US after my application. I had and was struggling to remember the return date but found it in my passport.

The only documents asked for was my appointment notice, ID, greencard, passport.

She said she would recommend me for approval, I said Yay thanks. I had to wait maybe 20 mins in the waiting area, then my name was called and a male officer came with a paper and said congrats you are approved, your ceremony will be on Monday.

I was home just after 9:30. A good experience!
Old Sep 7th 2017, 4:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I had my interview today at the Atlanta field office and I passed! I have my ceremony on Monday 9/11. Interesting date...
Awesome! Well done.

Ian
Old Sep 7th 2017, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations and good luck for a huge life moment on Monday.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats! Federal offices might be closed Monday in Atlanta, depending on hurricane Irma's path.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone! It sure feels good to have it done. And it was almost fun.

Now the only thing to worry about is yeah, will Irma ruin my party? That would be annoying but at least we won't be affected as much as people in Florida, Caribbean etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.