Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Naturalisation through Grandparents

Naturalisation through Grandparents

Old Feb 1st 2018, 5:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Naturalisation through Grandparents

Originally Posted by chunkp
Why would the amount of Christians in the the U.K. affect it? They have been posted here by a large US based Christian organisation with missionaries throughout the world.
It doesn't, so I recommend that you ignore that post.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 5:23 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know that it would, except to say that missionary is commonly a temporary (if perhaps long term) assignment. What ties to they have to the US other than being a citizen? Do they file taxes or maintain a residence in the US?

I can't remember this ever coming up before on the forum to be honest.

They have been posted here by a large US based Christian organisation with missionaries throughout the world.
I assume that the use of the word posted, implies that they are employed and paid by the US organization?

Last edited by civilservant; Feb 1st 2018 at 5:26 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 5:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
..... missionary is commonly a temporary (if perhaps long term) assignment. What ties to they have to the US other than being a citizen? Do they file taxes or maintain a residence in the US? ....
That bit I agree with, as per my post #14, above.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

chunkp is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responses. They visit the U.S a few times a year.
It is their intention to return and retire to the states once we are settled.

They would be the first to admit they’ve ended up in the U.K. considerably longer than expected but it’s not home
Old Feb 1st 2018, 5:28 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

So are we to assume that they do not maintain a US residence? Have they been filing taxes and/or are they paid by the US organization?
Old Feb 1st 2018, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Yes, employed and paid by a US organisation (not Mormons).
Have continually filed taxes.
No US residence, my wife’s siblings live in the US.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 5:31 pm

Thanks for the responses. They visit the U.S a few times a year.
It is their intention to return and retire to the states once we are settled.

They would be the first to admit they’ve ended up in the U.K. considerably longer than expected but it’s not home
So one of them may be able to be a joint sponsor, but expect some very probing questions about their status in the UK, and I certainly wouldn't bet the farm on one of them be accepted as your joint sponsor.

You might be well advised to consult an experienced immigration lawyer, one who has experience in joint sponsors currently living outside the US.
.... my wife’s siblings live in the US.
If I were you, I'd ask one of them to be the joint sponsor then.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 1st 2018 at 5:37 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

That would be a nice easy solution. I do not believe they have the financial evidence to be a sponsor.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 5:45 pm

That would be a nice easy solution. I do not believe they have the financial evidence to be a sponsor.
But you should start your quest for a joint sponsor there, and only move on to your mother- or father-in-law if joint sponsorship by one of your wife's siblings is impossible.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Ok, thanks for the guidance. Much appreciated.
Thanks for bearing with me, and all the naivety associated with a newbie poster!
Old Feb 1st 2018, 5:51 pm
Often not so civil...

If I were you, I'd ask one of them to be the joint sponsor then.
I concur with this.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 6:08 pm

Ok, thanks for the guidance. Much appreciated.
Thanks for bearing with me, and all the naivety associated with a newbie poster!
You're most welcome.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 7:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Since the children will become USCs at the POE, I brekkie be they would need an I-864W instead on an I-864.

Rene
Old Feb 1st 2018, 7:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I concur with this.
I also agree!

Rene