Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Secondary Security Check at Border Control (Orlando)

Secondary Security Check at Border Control (Orlando)

Old Mar 30th 2012, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

danieluk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Secondary Security Check at Border Control (Orlando)

Hey Folks,

When I visited Orlando earlier this month, upon arrival, I was approved entry however I was subjected to a secondary security check.

The immigration police officer had been asking me alot of questions about why I had lived in Serbia (Europe) in the past - in fact, he was questioning me about if for around five minutes. I answered all of the questions, he approved me, but I had to collect my luggage and it was searched at the secondary security check.

My question is - am I likely to be subjected to this secondary check each time I go to the United States from now on, or will the immigration officers on future trips be likely see that I was previously accepted into the US and allow me in without the additional check?

I only ask because it added around 30 minutes to the process, and when I went to pickup my rental car, they had NO economy cars remaining as I had reserved, but luckily gave me a free upgrade to the next size. I was warned though that this might not be possible next time if I am late, so I am wondering if I should select a later collection time for my next trip to the US.

Thanks
Zach
Old Mar 30th 2012, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of
Default Re: Secondary Security Check at Border Control (Orlando)

Originally Posted by danieluk
Hey Folks,

When I visited Orlando earlier this month, upon arrival, I was approved entry however I was subjected to a secondary security check.

The immigration police officer had been asking me alot of questions about why I had lived in Serbia (Europe) in the past - in fact, he was questioning me about if for around five minutes. I answered all of the questions, he approved me, but I had to collect my luggage and it was searched at the secondary security check.

My question is - am I likely to be subjected to this secondary check each time I go to the United States from now on, or will the immigration officers on future trips be likely see that I was previously accepted into the US and allow me in without the additional check?

I only ask because it added around 30 minutes to the process, and when I went to pickup my rental car, they had NO economy cars remaining as I had reserved, but luckily gave me a free upgrade to the next size. I was warned though that this might not be possible next time if I am late, so I am wondering if I should select a later collection time for my next trip to the US.

Thanks
Zach
You will probably get stopped every time: there appears to be no latitude in the process - your card is marked, so to speak and they will ask you the same thing each and every time. I believe there is a web site you can go to to ask for this to stop but I don't have the url. Perhaps someone else knows it.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 3:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Most likely you will be subject to the same questioning each time. Make sure to leave enough time if you have a connecting flight, and also give the car rental place a later arrival time than your actual time.

Rene
Old Mar 30th 2012, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Okay, I will bare this in mind. I'll also call the US embassy in Serbia to see if they can offer any advice. There are over 100,000 foreigners that live in Serbia - and I suspect that more than a few have gone on to visit the United States. I would hope that the embassy could offer some advise.

If not, then I will just factor in more time - at least until I get a new passport in 2018, lol!
Old Mar 30th 2012, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Okay, I will bare this in mind. I'll also call the US embassy in Serbia to see if they can offer any advice. There are over 100,000 foreigners that live in Serbia - and I suspect that more than a few have gone on to visit the United States. I would hope that the embassy could offer some advise.

If not, then I will just factor in more time - at least until I get a new passport in 2018, lol!
Found it: http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/gc_1169676919316.shtm

Have a look at that: may be helpful.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Getting a new passport won't change anything unless it's an American passport.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by markwm
Found it: http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/gc_1169676919316.shtm

Have a look at that: may be helpful.
Thanks for that link. I will see if I get subjected to the extra security when I travel there again in June. I also plan a third trip near the end of the year. If I get sent to secondary check's on both, I will look into the Redress Program, as it seems to hint that its only applicable if you get the secondary check time and time again.

Originally Posted by sir eccles
So they are not just seeing the old Serbian Visa's in my British Passports and thinking "Whats this all about then?" - its actually flagging up on their computer systems...or...?
Old Mar 30th 2012, 4:17 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I will see if I get subjected to the extra security when I travel there again in June. I also plan a third trip near the end of the year. If I get sent to secondary check's on both, I will look into the Redress Program, as it seems to hint that its only applicable if you get the secondary check time and time again.
Serbian residency is just one piece of the upcoming train wreck.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

There are notes kept on your visits to secondary so as long as you have a consistent "story" and keep to it - then maybe after 3/4 times they may not bother asking about that issue anymore. But then again you may have other issues cropping up with frequent visits etc.. Up to the fella in front of you!
Old Mar 30th 2012, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Serbian residency is just one piece of the upcoming train wreck.
I never had Serbian Residency. I had six month "temporary" stay visas, which are all expired now.

Originally Posted by Orangepants
There are notes kept on your visits to secondary so as long as you have a consistent "story" and keep to it - then maybe after 3/4 times they may not bother asking about that issue anymore. But then again you may have other issues cropping up with frequent visits etc.. Up to the fella in front of you!
OK that is good to know. Thank you.

Thanks for the information and advise everyone.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

If taking an extra 30 minutes to get through customs and immigration and getting an upgraded rental car is the worst thing that ever happens to you when you attempt to visit the US you really don't have anything to complain about ...
Old Mar 30th 2012, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

So they are not just seeing the old Serbian Visa's in my British Passports and thinking "Whats this all about then?" - its actually flagging up on their computer systems...or...?
Not necessarily. What I meant was that getting a new passport does not necessarily "wipe the slate clean". They know who you are no matter what passport you enter on.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 6:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Zach,

Just so you are aware, it's not only your previous Serbian visits that can raise quesitons at the US POE. It can also be the combination frequent or lengthy visits to the USA, being self-employed, having a USC love interest, etc. I know you were specifically asking about how the Serbian thing ties in, but in addition to that, it could also be other things that might one day make the POE agent turn you away at the POE.

Rene
Old Mar 30th 2012, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Even that may not help. One of our members, or his son, kept being sent to secondary even after naturalization, until they made a TRIP complaint.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks to everyone for the answers and special thanks Rene for adding that - I certainly understand that. I guess all I can do going forward is to hope for the best (but also plan for the worst).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.