N400 - 5 yr travel history

Old Aug 12th 2017, 7:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N400 - 5 yr travel history

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
30 months = 912.5 days!!!
I noted that you changed your original post where you quoted an actual number of days ... wondered about the months with 31 days
Old Aug 12th 2017, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all, I just found it while you all posted, but appreciate all the pointers in the correct direction.
No one ever said it would be easy!

Last edited by Adnams; Aug 12th 2017 at 7:11 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 7:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
Thanks all, I just found it while you all posted, but appreciate all the pointers in the correct direction.
No one ever said it wold be easy!
It is not difficult at all and really very straightforward. It only is getting complicated for you doing your husband's N-400 because he traveled so often for business.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Just incase any other poor soul is in the same boat as my OH he's managed to piece together his missing travel history for '12 and '13 via a combination of old bank statements and photo posts on Facebook and the likes. The wonders of social media!
Its too early but we could both do with a glass of wine after all that.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... he's managed to piece together his missing travel history for '12 and '13 via a combination of old bank statements and photo posts on Facebook and the likes.
That's great - but you are required to include information only to the best of your memory and/or ability. I lived in Canada prior to coming to the US, and had made hundreds of trips to the US over the course of 30+ years and there's no record at all of those trips... so I said simply that I'd made hundreds of short trips between, say, 1970 and 1998. It was never an issue.

Ian
Old Aug 12th 2017, 11:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
That's great - but you are required to include information only to the best of your memory and/or ability. I lived in Canada prior to coming to the US, and had made hundreds of trips to the US over the course of 30+ years and there's no record at all of those trips... so I said simply that I'd made hundreds of short trips between, say, 1970 and 1998. It was never an issue.

Ian
Same with hubby...he was overseas almost every other week...plus our frequent weekends to Canada. My daughter was at uni in Canada and her days were right down to the wire. Fortunately part days out of the US don't count.
Old Aug 13th 2017, 2:32 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Most people applying for citizenship won't come close to the limit. The point is, there is a limit. And it is : more time in us than elswhere.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Yup so the limit is 2.5 years of total international travel. After the N400 is submitted we need to keep complete records of all international travel between submission date and interview and oath date? Correct? So as long as international travel still doesnt take my OH over the 2.5 year cap we should be ok?
I keep banging on about this travel limit but his international travel could increase dramatically in 2018 so I'm just trying to get a 100% handle on what he can and cant / shouldnt do?
Secondly does anyone know where I can find more info on lead times for the period inbetween interview and oath ceremonies. Its my understanding that my local office does not do same day oath ceremonies but I cant find a definitive answer on USCIS as to exactly when and at what frequency they (the office in Indianapolis) hold oath ceremonies - I'm probably looking in the wrong place.
Thanks all in advance.

Last edited by Adnams; Aug 15th 2017 at 2:49 am.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

After the N400 is submitted we need to keep complete records of all international travel between submission date and interview and oath date? Correct?
Correct.

So as long as international travel still doesnt take my OH over the 2.5 year cap we should be ok?
Yes. As a reminder, there are 2 requirements: physical presence and continuous residence. Make sure both requirements are met.

I'm just trying to get a 100% handle on what he can and cant / shouldnt do?
He should not violate either the physical presence or continuous residence requirements. If that's not going to happen because of his increased travel in 2018, then he should postpone filing until such time as he meets both requirements.

Secondly does anyone know where I can find more info on lead times for the period inbetween interview and oath ceremonies.
I'm not sure you can. It usually depends on how many people are naturalizing, and they likely schedule the Oath Ceremony once there are sufficient numbers. I understand what you're trying to do... but you can't control the unknown.

Bottom line: If his time out of the country is going to be an issue, postpone filing.

Ian
Old Aug 15th 2017, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks so much. Need to read that part of the guide again to wrap my head around continuous presence vs physical presence.