N400 - 5 yr travel history

Old Aug 12th 2017, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute
Default N400 - 5 yr travel history

So we're trying to complete our N400 applications this weekend but we have hit a snag. The OH has the last three years of his complete travel history but for the two years prior to that he has a lot of gaps. He has re-entry stamps into the US but no record of when he left, many trips to Europe and his UK passport is not stamped there on entry. No trips lasted more than 6 months.
So, here's my question, is it okay for him to kind of make best estimate guesses on when he left/?
Does USCIS check everyone's complete travel history in detail? If he made a mistake on any of his best guesstimates of when he left would it invalidate his application?
I have asked something similar before on here a while back and a poster said to just do our best and guess but it makes me really nervous incase the USCIS double check and hes denied naturalization.
Has anyone been in a similar situation before and how did you resolve it?
Thanks all in advance,
Old Aug 12th 2017, 4:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N400 - 5 yr travel history

Originally Posted by Adnams
So we're trying to complete our N400 applications this weekend but we have hit a snag. The OH has the last three years of his complete travel history but for the two years prior to that he has a lot of gaps. He has re-entry stamps into the US but no record of when he left, many trips to Europe and his UK passport is not stamped there on entry. No trips lasted more than 6 months.
So, here's my question, is it okay for him to kind of make best estimate guesses on when he left/?
Does USCIS check everyone's complete travel history in detail? If he made a mistake on any of his best guesstimates of when he left would it invalidate his application?
I have asked something similar before on here a while back and a poster said to just do our best and guess but it makes me really nervous incase the USCIS double check and hes denied naturalization.
Has anyone been in a similar situation before and how did you resolve it?
Thanks all in advance,
Record what you can with a note that it is 'to the best of my knowledge'...that's what my hubby did.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 5:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

What Jerseygirl said. The only way it will be a problem is if he's cutting it too close to the allowed time outside the USA in order to qualify to file N-400.

Rene
Old Aug 12th 2017, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I was able to reconstruct my history pretty well by searching my Gmail for confirmation emails. In any case, at my interview the officer didn't even look at my old passports. All she asked was for me to confirm the longest period I was outside the US (less than three weeks).
Old Aug 12th 2017, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
I was able to reconstruct my history pretty well by searching my Gmail for confirmation emails. In any case, at my interview the officer didn't even look at my old passports. All she asked was for me to confirm the longest period I was outside the US (less than three weeks).
BTW, we just got visitors visas for Russia and they wanted our last *ten years* of travel, plus our last three employers including managers' surnames...
Old Aug 12th 2017, 5:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
BTW, we just got visitors visas for Russia and they wanted our last *ten years* of travel, plus our last three employers including managers' surnames...
Wow. For me that would be easy. I had the same employer for 27 years until retirement.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
What Jerseygirl said. The only way it will be a problem is if he's cutting it too close to the allowed time outside the USA in order to qualify to file N-400.

Rene
Thank you all.

Its my understanding that the cut off is being outside of the USA for 6 months?
The longest trip he's done is max 8 weeks in the last five years. Mainly they run about ten days / two weeks.

Is there also a total maximum number of days allowed? i.e. does he need to add up all his trips and if the total is over 6 months then hes not eligible?

I read the USCIS site as being as long as no one single trip was over 6 months then he should be fine?

He switched companies three years ago and that's what makes it more complicated as he cant really ask his old travel department.

Thanks
Old Aug 12th 2017, 6:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just the length of time outside for each trip. It's the total number of days outside during the past 5 years. There is a chart in the USCIS Guide to Naturalization.

Rene
Old Aug 12th 2017, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It's not just the length of time outside for each trip. It's the total number of days outside during the past 5 years. There is a chart in the USCIS Guide to Naturalization.

Rene
Oh no, crikey
Old Aug 12th 2017, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Does anyone know what the total number of days out of the country over five years cut off is? The only other reference I have in the naturalization guide is to absences of 30 months or more?
Old Aug 12th 2017, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
Does anyone know what the total number of days out of the country over five years cut off is?
Yes - it's in the Guide to Naturalization.

The only other reference I have in the naturalization guide is to absences of 30 months or more?
That's not actually what the Guide says! I suggest you read it again! The Guide has the answer you want... but you're misinterpreting what it says. Hint = 30 months is the key!

Ian
Old Aug 12th 2017, 6:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

OK I'll bite...Adnams you are allowed to be out of the country for 30 months total...out of 5 years (60 months). Therefore you are allowed to spend half of the 5 years out of the US.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 12th 2017 at 6:57 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 6:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Ian.

I had gone to the guide earlier for someone else and you are right. You need to read the guide carefully which is difficult if you are reading it online because the chart is horizontal and is cutoff and you have to scroll to another page to continue reading the columns across.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 7:00 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
OK I'll bite...Adnams you are allowed to be out of the country for 30 months total...out of 5 years (60 months). Therefore you are allowed to spend half of the 5 years out of the US.
Which is not to be out of the country longer than 6 months at any one time over the 5 years. The math: 6 mos. X 5 yrs. = 30 mos.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 7:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Rete
Which is not to be out of the country longer than 6 months at any one time over the 5 years. The math: 6 mos. X 5 yrs. = 30 mos.
Half of 5 years = 30 months = 912.5 days!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.