Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N-600 Certificate of Citizenship and Oath Ceremony

N-600 Certificate of Citizenship and Oath Ceremony

Old Jul 30th 2011, 5:11 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-600 Certificate of Citizenship and Oath Ceremony

Originally Posted by JAJ
There doesn't need to be a "ceremony" in particular, the oath simply has to be taken in front of a USCIS officer. At least that's what this particular policy from 2003 says:
http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PolMem95Pub.pdf

Did they give you a date for the oath taking?
Yep, date and time.

Originally Posted by JAJ
As far as I can see the oath has to be taken in the United States, so if he had gone to the UK he would have to return. However, it appears that his US passport is still valid and when you get the certificate it should say he became a US citizen on the date you did. If it says something else then you will need to challenge it.
Thank you, that's not something I had thought of so will be sure to check.

Originally Posted by JAJ
Presumably he's aware of registering with Selective Service once he's 18 and the tax/financial reporting and filing to the US that he will still have to do when outside the USA?
Yep.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 3:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ezequiel
My brother ask the immigration officer why he needed to present all those documents again when he had already sent all those documents when he applied for my nephew passport. The immigration officer told my brother that they are the last authority when it comes to citizenship of non-natural born not the State Department.
The "last authority" over who is and is not a US citizen is in fact the federal court system. And there is some evidence to suggest that if someone has a US passport (issued by State Department) then their status should not be challenged by any other government department.

That said, the last thing you want is a situation where USCIS thinks you might not be a US citizen and for that reason, obtaining the N-600 as soon as possible is always preferable.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

kazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ezequiel
Both my sister and nephew had to attend Citizenship Oath Ceremony, even though they already had their American passports.

My brother got his nephew his Certificate of Citizenship last month and they requested that my brother presents original documents (birth certificate, marriage certificate, income tax proving that he had claims my nephew in his tax filing and proof that my nephew was living in the U.S. ) My nephew is just 4 years old.
This is a great information which would show that there are 2 classes of US citizens: They both have US passports - but some can get the Certificate of Citizenship while other can not.

Let assume that the child left US with the parents (a year or two) after getting US passport. Now, living abroad, that child still has the valid US passport, but can not get the certificate of naturalization because he/she is not more living in the US. Please, be aware that relocation abroad is not a reason for losing the US citizenship. So, the child is still an US citizen who can renew his/her passport but can not get the Certificate of Citizenship.

As I can not imagine that any country in the world - not even the banana republics - would tolerate the discrimination between own citizens (passport holders), I think that something is not reported properly here. How could one US passport holder lose the right for the Certificate of Citizenship if he/she would reside abroad?

Last edited by kazic; Jul 31st 2011 at 10:28 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Ezequiel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kazic
This is a great information which would show that there are 2 classes of US citizens: They both have US passports - but some can get the Certificate of Citizenship while other can not.

Let assume that the child left US with the parents (a year or two) after getting US passport. Now, living abroad, that child still has the valid US passport, but can not get the certificate of naturalization because he/she is not more living in the US. Please, be aware that relocation abroad is not a reason for losing the US citizenship. So, the child is still an US citizen who can renew his/her passport but can not get the Certificate of Citizenship.

As I can not imagine that any country in the world - not even the banana republics - would tolerate the discrimination between own citizens (passport holders), I think that something is not reported properly here. How could one US passport holder lose the right for the Certificate of Citizenship if he/she would reside abroad?
Keep in mind that not everybody require an interview before taking the Oath. My brother was required all those documents while my sister, even though, she went to an interview they didn't ask her for any documents to prove that she was living in the U.S. (My sister was NOT living in the U.S.) She left 3 month after she got her U.S. passport.

Some people just get invited to take the oath without an interview. Remember that they are already U.S. Citizen and the government needs to provide them with proof when they request those proves.