N-400 Trip outside the US

Old Nov 12th 2016, 6:17 am
Just Joined

Alexbaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default N-400 Trip outside the US

Hi

I am applying for the citizenship after acquiring the Green card for 3 years based on marriage

I have taken an overseas trip for more then 6 month and less then 12 month just after being a Lawful permeant resident till I find a job in the US

I was still working overseas for 9 month, I did my tax return based on my work in the US when I moved completely, the income from overseas was not included since it was less then the minimum required to be reported

my question is maintaining my work overseas for 10 month while holding a green card will that affect applying for the citizenship, knowing that I did the tax returns , I maintained a US bank account. My spouse completed the tax returns based on the overseas income as well

Thanks
Alex
Old Nov 12th 2016, 6:55 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400 Trip outside the US

Everything you need to know about qualifying for citizenship can be found in the USCIS Guide to Naturalization, found at www.uscis.gov.

Rene
Old Nov 12th 2016, 9:49 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexbaker
I have taken an overseas trip for more then 6 month and less then 12 month just after being a Lawful permeant resident till I find a job in the US.
In addition to being a PR for 3 years based on marriage, there is also a "physical presence" requirement and a "continuous residence" requirement. You must meet both before you are eligible to naturalize. That information is in the USCIS Guide to Naturalization.

I did my tax return based on my work in the US when I moved completely, the income from overseas was not included since it was less then the minimum required to be reported.
The US taxes you on your worldwide income. If you earned enough to file a US tax return, you were obligated to include all of your income - including the income earned overseas.

my question is maintaining my work overseas for 10 month while holding a green card will that affect applying for the citizenship...
Yes, it could. Read the Guide.

Ian
Old Nov 13th 2016, 3:59 am
Just Joined

Thanks Ian

*In regards to the physical presence, I am meeting the requirement which is 18 month
*For the continuous residency I was searching for a Job in the USA, I had an address and bank account opened will that be considered
*The income was not enough in US dollar to file tax returns, I filed for the income
earned in the US

In case I applied now and for some reasons I was not qualify will that affect me if I applied for a 2nd time later on ? will I need to pay again ?

Regards
Alex
Old Nov 13th 2016, 4:09 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Alex,

That year when you were a US PR and worked part of the time outside the USA, you must include that income on your US tax return....UNLESS your TOTAL income (both UK and US combined) for that year was under the IRS threshold. You have to include worldwide income after becoming a PR. Sounds like you need to redo that year's tax return.

If USCIS cashes your check and processes the N-400 up to the point of interview, and at the interview they decide you don't qualify, then you don't get a refund and will have to pay the fee again when you file a new N-400.

But that won't affect future applications.

Rene
Old Nov 13th 2016, 5:41 am
Just Joined

Thanks Rene
Old Oct 19th 2017, 5:08 am
Just Joined

I finally got the notice for the interview after almost a year

Now it's been 3 years that I have been living in the US without overseas trips

My question is now it's been 4 years since I became PR with 3 years continues physical presence in the US, will the period after applying till the interview time will be considered as well or they will still look and ask for the trip that exceeded 6 month after being a PR.

thanks