Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N-400 and ticket was cancelled by judge;disclose?

N-400 and ticket was cancelled by judge;disclose?

Old Oct 17th 2005, 4:46 pm
Banned

Katikati will become famous soon enoughKatikati will become famous soon enough
Default N-400 and ticket was cancelled by judge;disclose?

If someone had a minor $50 ticket for turning left on a red light, contests the ticket and the judge throws out the ticket, should such a ticket be disclosed on the N-400?

More so if the ticket was 4 years prior to the N-400 filing, and the N-400 was filed on the basis of 3 year marriage to USC?
Old Oct 17th 2005, 5:09 pm
Mrs. Yank

Petra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to all
Default Re: N-400 and ticket was cancelled by judge;disclose?

Originally Posted by Katikati
If someone had a minor $50 ticket for turning left on a red light, contests the ticket and the judge throws out the ticket, should such a ticket be disclosed on the N-400? More so if the ticket was 4 years prior to the N-400 filing, and the N-400 was filed on the basis of 3 year marriage to USC?
Just be honest and disclose. Cases will be denied *just* because of a little lie.
Mentioning this ticket is not serious enough to have an impact on the case, so what is the problem?
Old Oct 17th 2005, 5:21 pm
Banned

marasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the rough

Thats OK but applyin on the basis of 3 years, does that look at something of 4 years ago?
===================================

Originally Posted by Petra
Just be honest and disclose. Cases will be denied *just* because of a little lie.
Mentioning this ticket is not serious enough to have an impact on the case, so what is the problem?
Old Oct 17th 2005, 5:49 pm
Mrs. Yank

Petra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to all

Originally Posted by marasmus
Thats OK but applyin on the basis of 3 years, does that look at something of 4 years ago?
===================================
Just read the questions carefully, and answer them thruthfully.
If you are unsure of the answer, refer to the Guide to Naturalization.
Here, they elaborate and give examples on how to answer.
If you do all this, you must be OK.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

jemavalon is an unknown quantity at this point

All of the questions regarding citations, arrests, etc. in the applications have word EVER in them (e.g., have you EVER been arrested, cited, etc.) -- it's not based on last 3 or 5 years. Having a minor traffic ticket will not cause you any problems, but not disclosing it could. I had 2 speeding tickets, and I wrote them all in the application and the interviewer just asked me to initial next to each of them. That's all! FYI: you might want to obtain a court certified copy of the record of disposition of your ticket from the court -- it is usually very easy procedure, and if you call the court they would tell you what to do to get it. I did not need mine, but I heard stories that people were required to present them during the interview -- again, it is much easier to get it than to explain to the interviewer why you don't have it.

Good luck,

Julia
Old Oct 17th 2005, 6:29 pm
Banned

marasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the roughmarasmus is a jewel in the rough

so if someone sent in N-400 without this info, is this info one can bring to the interview to update the initial N-400?
==========================

Originally Posted by jemavalon
All of the questions regarding citations, arrests, etc. in the applications have word EVER in them (e.g., have you EVER been arrested, cited, etc.) -- it's not based on last 3 or 5 years. Having a minor traffic ticket will not cause you any problems, but not disclosing it could. I had 2 speeding tickets, and I wrote them all in the application and the interviewer just asked me to initial next to each of them. That's all! FYI: you might want to obtain a court certified copy of the record of disposition of your ticket from the court -- it is usually very easy procedure, and if you call the court they would tell you what to do to get it. I did not need mine, but I heard stories that people were required to present them during the interview -- again, it is much easier to get it than to explain to the interviewer why you don't have it.

Good luck,

Julia
Old Oct 17th 2005, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marasmus
As Julia says, the word "ever" is the key here. Of course this information can be disclosed at the interview, but it may get the officer thinking along the lines of, "if this information was left off (whether deliberately or not), what else in this application is incomplete?" That said, by the time you get to the naturalization stage, they usually want to approve you.

Ian