Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N-400:Married but separated, disclose?

N-400:Married but separated, disclose?

Old Feb 10th 2010, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

sonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud of
Default N-400:Married but separated, disclose?

Hello Friends:

I am applying for USC based on 5 years of PR in US.

My N-400 Appn and supporting docs is ready, including the check for $675. One final questions popped in my mind:

First: I am currently married but separated for the last 1 year. In the N-400, in part 3.G, I checked "Married", but I see there is no mention of "Separated" but it also says: "Marriage Annulled or Other (Explain)______________

Should I write here that I am currently separated but legally still married to the same person? When I filled out my wife's address in the N-400 I did mention a different address for her and me, so from that it is apparent that we are not living at the same address.

Second: Under 8.B.1 it asks for "Spouse's Family Name (Last Name), I am guessing I need to write my wife's last name prior to her marriage to me. Is this right?

If anyone of you can clarify, I will mail out my application TODAY:-)

Sonny
Old Feb 10th 2010, 10:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400:Married but separated, disclose?

Originally Posted by sonnyboyusa
First: I am currently married but separated for the last 1 year. In the N-400, in part 3.G, I checked "Married", but I see there is no mention of "Separated" but it also says: "Marriage Annulled or Other (Explain)______________

Should I write here that I am currently separated but legally still married to the same person? When I filled out my wife's address in the N-400 I did mention a different address for her and me, so from that it is apparent that we are not living at the same address.
Your current legal status is Married, so I would check that box, unless you are legally separated. Since your citizenship is not based on 3 years of marriage to a USC, your marital status won't have much to do with your naturalization.

Second: Under 8.B.1 it asks for "Spouse's Family Name (Last Name), I am guessing I need to write my wife's last name prior to her marriage to me. Is this right?
I would put whatever her current last name is. If she is still using your last name, put that. If she's changed her name back to her maiden name, put that.

Rene
Old Feb 11th 2010, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

sonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud ofsonnyboyusa has much to be proud of

Renee, thanks for the reply. I was hoping someone would reply and it was you, that's great.

I tried to give you karma, but it says I must spread some karma around before giving it to you again. Looks like you are getting lots of karma from me:-)

Sonny
Old Feb 11th 2010, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

We are not legally separated, so I will check married and leave it at that. Secondly, my wife is using my last name currently, so I will go ahead and mention that as her last name as well.

Does anyone else have a dissenting opinion?? or similar opinion even?

Sonny
Old Feb 11th 2010, 4:32 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

We are not legally separated, so I will check married and leave it at that. Secondly, my wife is using my last name currently, so I will go ahead and mention that as her last name as well.

Does anyone else have a dissenting opinion?? or similar opinion even?

Sonny
For some strange reason, your marital status goes on your naturalization certificate. I have no idea what mess this would cause if you were, say, divorced between the interview and the oath ceremony. I suggest you discuss it at your interview.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fatbrit
For some strange reason, your marital status goes on your naturalization certificate. I have no idea what mess this would cause if you were, say, divorced between the interview and the oath ceremony. I suggest you discuss it at your interview.
Really, I didn't know that! (I wonder what purpose marital status serves on the naturalization certificate) It would be good to see a sample copy of one if anyone has it!

Sonny
Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:14 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Really, I didn't know that! (I wonder what purpose marital status serves on the naturalization certificate) It would be good to see a sample copy of one if anyone has it!

Sonny
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_wVCfvcpSOF4/Sj.../s800/im06.jpg

Zoom in and look on the left
Old Feb 11th 2010, 1:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Oh wow, I never even noticed that on Sadegh's certificate.

Rene
Old Feb 12th 2010, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

Fatbrit, thanks for the sample naturalization cert! Awesome!

Last edited by sonnyboyusa; Feb 12th 2010 at 4:23 am.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

Noorah:

My N-400 is ready and all set to go by Fedex tomorrow. One last question: What is the best to attach the photos to the application, should I just attach them with a paperclip or something like that? I am afraid they might be lost somehow in the maze of papers at USCIS!! Any ideas?

Sonny
Old Feb 12th 2010, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas?
Put them in a ziplock bag and staple it to the application.

Ian
Old Feb 12th 2010, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

lostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond repute

One last question: What is the best to attach the photos to the application, should I just attach them with a paperclip or something like that? I am afraid they might be lost somehow in the maze of papers at USCIS!! Any ideas?
Ziploc works like magic in the kitchen. Send photocopies on plain white paper. If they want to see originals they will address you during the process.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Put them in a ziplock bag and staple it to the application.

Ian
I agree with Ian. Or, just leave the photos in the little folder they came in, if they came in one.

Rene
Old Feb 12th 2010, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you guys for your suggestions.

I am just waiting for the Fedex guy to come and pick up the package. I couldn't have put this package together but for all the help I received at this forum.

I am already looking forward to when the next step will happen, biometrics appt.

Has anyone heard on the timeline on this, is it 2-3 weeks. I am applying to Phoeniz, AZ. My local District Office is San Jose, CA.

Sonny
Old Feb 12th 2010, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone heard on the timeline on this, is it 2-3 weeks. I am applying to Phoeniz, AZ. My local District Office is San Jose, CA.

Sonny
Look on my profile theres a timeline on there, same District Office.

Tracey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.