Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N-400 Interview before 5 years of residency ? Not in Houston...

N-400 Interview before 5 years of residency ? Not in Houston...

Old Oct 20th 2009, 7:21 pm
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of
Default N-400 Interview before 5 years of residency ? Not in Houston...

My sister in law was just at the Houston USCIS office for her Naturalization Application interview, and she was rescheduled; told to return in two days when she has fulfilled her 5 years of residency in the US.

I am in the same boat, with appointment for November 16th, but completing my 5 years on the 23rd.

I had read about this happening to one other person.

I called the 800 number on the receipt notice and spoke to a representative that highly suggested I do not attempt to reschedule beforehand, but instead keep my appointment so that if needed It can be rescheduled by the local office, ensuring the shortest wait possible for the interview date. She indicated she could provide me with the instructions to request the
re-schedule over the mail, but that the application could be delayed up to 3 months during the re-schedule. The folks on the phone were nice and friendly, and I have no desire to tempt the system, so I will go expecting to be turned back, but prepared for the interview in case It does happen

Has anyone been interviewed for an N-400 before their 5 years were up and allowed to interview ? Where was this ?

Thanks!
Old Oct 20th 2009, 7:34 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400 Interview before 5 years of residency ? Not in Houston...

Originally Posted by A I
I called the 800 number on the receipt notice and spoke to a representative that highly suggested I do not attempt to reschedule beforehand, but instead keep my appointment so that if needed It can be rescheduled by the local office, ensuring the shortest wait possible for the interview date.
That makes sense to me; thanks for posting about your sister.
Let your officer decide how to handle your specific situation.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 7:48 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A I

Has anyone been interviewed for an N-400 before their 5 years were up and allowed to interview ? Where was this ?

Thanks!
I've read 2 or 3 instances of that happening, posts on another forum. People were interviewed and the oath ceremony scheduled for after the 3 or 5 years were up. Not something that gets reported a lot but it has happened.

Here is one of the posts http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...owtopic=223175

Last edited by lansbury; Oct 20th 2009 at 7:53 pm. Reason: added link to a sample post
Old Oct 20th 2009, 8:47 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lansbury
I've read 2 or 3 instances of that happening, posts on another forum. People were interviewed and the oath ceremony scheduled for after the 3 or 5 years were up. Not something that gets reported a lot but it has happened.

Here is one of the posts http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...owtopic=223175
Yeah - I thought it was ok for the interview to be before the anniversary date but that the oath ceremony should be after. Would be nice to know which it is for sure (we'll be doing this for hubby next year).

Nice to hear that Houston are at least paying attention.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 8:55 pm
A I

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TracyTN
Yeah - I thought it was ok for the interview to be before the anniversary date but that the oath ceremony should be after. Would be nice to know which it is for sure (we'll be doing this for hubby next year).

Nice to hear that Houston are at least paying attention.
I wish they weren't

The Houston office did not allow the interview, and re-scheduled it instead. I had heard that the Naturalization *for sure* needed to be after thet required period (3 or 5 years, depending on USC spouse or not) but I was not clear on being able to even Interview before the period. There are a few threads around on people having interviewed before the time period had elapsed. It would have been nice for them to delay the interview appointment time on the letter to save them the trip to show up ready and willing, only to be sent home and told to come back in two days. Even better, to have interviewed them when they were asked to appear. Thankfully it's not a big deal, and they'll be able to make their re-scheduled appointment without issue.

We'll see if it's consistent when I go on Nov 16th. I will be ahead of tmy 5 years by a whole week.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 4:27 pm
A I

Update... Went to my appointment this morning as scheduled, and received the same result. The officials helping me and my wife were curtious, but explained they could not interview and it was the policy to interview only after the residency time had been fulfilled. They immediatly rescheduled us for next Monday, and made sure me and my wife had the same appointment time.

Too bad we could not complete the interview as scheduled, but a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things. We will try again next Monday.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 4:36 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Nice that the didn't send you away to wait for some mysterious appointment letter, at the least. I know it's disappointing to get all wound up for something and get postponed though.

Best wishes for next week!