Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Is my degree/current job eligible for work based immigration visa

Is my degree/current job eligible for work based immigration visa

Old Oct 5th 2017, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is my degree/current job eligible for work based immigration visa

I applied for Canadian residency a few years back but it fell through as applied through my job and they got into financial difficulty.

I love visiting the states and at my happiest there. England is rather depressing and have little friends here and spend all my time saving to go back out there.

I am 33, single and have a BA in American Studies and Film 2:2. I have worked as Head of Admin and online sales and project co-ordinator for a company who install and clear furniture in hotels since 2014. Previous to that I managed a candy store in Canada and worked in retail prior to that

I don't know if my experience or degree would be enough and if so which visa I would be eligible for.

I potentially know someone who does online selling and is looking to expand who would potentially be willing to sponsor me in the future. But not sure how that would work either.

Any help appreciated. Have read all the documents and still really confused. Hoping its not just a pipe dream and could become a reality one day. In the meantime will continue to play the lotto so could become an investor in the US.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my degree/current job eligible for work based immigration visa

Hi Nikki,

Read the following article a few times and let us know any conclusions you may come to:

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki
Old Oct 5th 2017, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Hi Nikki,

Read the following article a few times and let us know any conclusions you may come to:

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki
I Read it and that's why am asking as not sure.

"employment based green cards require employer sponsorship, labor market testing to prove no American can do the job, and in many cases (especially third preference) the wait may run into years. In other words, a sponsoring employer or job offer is not necessarily enough. The pathway to a green card should be researched before you move to the United States on a non-immigrant visa. There is a total quota of 140,000 for employment-based green cards per annum, you should check the State Dept. visa bulletin."
Old Oct 5th 2017, 10:02 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikkif99uk
I have worked as Head of Admin and online sales and project co-ordinator for a company who install and clear furniture in hotels since 2014. Previous to that I managed a candy store in Canada and worked in retail prior to that
Do you feel that a US employer would be unable to find someone to fill positions such as that locally, to the extent they would dish up a few thousand dollars in order to bring you in? Also, I believe that your degree must be relevant to the job for which an employer sponsors you.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Do you feel that a US employer would be unable to find someone to fill positions such as that locally, to the extent they would dish up a few thousand dollars in order to bring you in? Also, I believe that your degree must be relevant to the job for which an employer sponsors you.
Why is it so hard for hardworking British people to live and work in the USA. Unless your like a brain surgeon or doctor.
I don't know was looking into the business opportunity with an american friend and potentially look to export goods from the UK for him to begin with and if that works out he would look to sponsor me if it worked out.
My dream job related to my degree would be to work in a talent agency but I have only interned in that in Canada so far as where I live there aren't any and I refuse to work or live in London.

I have loads of friends in America and hardly any back home. I have no social life here and just work to go back to America my happy place. The dating scene here sucks and all the women i meet and like are American I guess one positive is gay marriage is now recognised by immigration.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 10:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it so hard for hardworking British people to live and work in the USA. Unless your like a brain surgeon or doctor.
I don't know was looking into the business opportunity with an american friend and potentially look to export goods from the UK for him to begin with and if that works out he would look to sponsor me if it worked out.
My dream job related to my degree would be to work in a talent agency but I have only interned in that in Canada so far as where I live there aren't any and I refuse to work or live in London.

I have loads of friends in America and hardly any back home. I have no social life here and just work to go back to America my happy place. The dating scene here sucks and all the women i meet and like are American I guess one positive is gay marriage is now recognised by immigration.
I see one visa that you are probably potentially eligible for per your post #1, and you could probably get fairly easily, like quite a few of us here, but unlike this guy, for example.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I see one visa that you are probably potentially eligible for per your post #1, and you could probably get fairly easily, like quite a few of us here, but unlike this guy, for example.
Which one is that sorry for sounding dumb?
Old Oct 5th 2017, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Marrying a US citizen. I dare say that's how the majority of us ended up here.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 10:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Read your first post, then his first post. .... I have probably said too much already and no doubt one of the Mods will be along shortly to admonish me.

Any how, it more or less explains how I came to be married and living in the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 5th 2017 at 10:42 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

their country, their rules. Anyway, it's not impossible, I'm not a doctor and I still made it. You may just have to work to on a longer term plan, e.g. one of your options could be to get a job with a multinational company, do well and then get transferred to the USA.

Have a look again at the wiki, and instead of thinking what you're eligible for right now, think what you could be eligible for in a few years with a bit of planning and hard work and luck.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 8:38 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it so difficult for hard working non EU citizens to live in the UK?
Old Oct 6th 2017, 11:03 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

We are seeing a pattern here - people saying they are "more comfortable" and "at their happiest" here. Whilst I would never say it's impossible to be happy here, I would urge caution with such feelings. If you've only been here on holiday of course you were at your happiest. You were relaxed, carefree, no work to do, everyone is at their happiest on holiday. If you value your holiday time, and it sounds like you do, then I would seriously reconsider a desire to move here. You say England is "depressing" but one look at how much annual leave you would have here and what not having the NHS costs us can be pretty depressing too. And that's just for starters.

I am happy here. But that's because my husband is here. I'd be happy wherever I was with him and probably happier in the U.K. but we are where we are. I think it's a case of rose-tinted glasses here. Please do think long and hard about what you really love about here. What you saw here as a tourist doesn't really transfer to daily life here.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
We are seeing a pattern here - people saying they are "more comfortable" and "at their happiest" here. Whilst I would never say it's impossible to be happy here, I would urge caution with such feelings. If you've only been here on holiday of course you were at your happiest. You were relaxed, carefree, no work to do, everyone is at their happiest on holiday. If you value your holiday time, and it sounds like you do, then I would seriously reconsider a desire to move here. You say England is "depressing" but one look at how much annual leave you would have here and what not having the NHS costs us can be pretty depressing too. And that's just for starters.

I am happy here. But that's because my husband is here. I'd be happy wherever I was with him and probably happier in the U.K. but we are where we are. I think it's a case of rose-tinted glasses here. Please do think long and hard about what you really love about here. What you saw here as a tourist doesn't really transfer to daily life here.
I was happy living in Canada. Since I moved back all i do is work to go back to Florida to visit my friends. I have no social life in England and very few friends. I generally visit alone and have made so many friends in Florida. Living there I would be happy. Everyone I know says I should have been American lol with my taste in food and clothes lol. Defo not a fad thing been considerering it for years
Old Oct 6th 2017, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I was happy living in Canada. Since I moved back all i do is work to go back to Florida to visit my friends. I have no social life in England and very few friends. I generally visit alone and have made so many friends in Florida. Living there I would be happy. Everyone I know says I should have been American lol with my taste in food and clothes lol. Defo not a fad thing been considerering it for years
So you know that you need a work visa to work and live in the US.

That would be either an H-1B in your case, unless you obtained a job in the UK and then were transferred across to a US office of the same company.(L-1 visa)

With your degree/qualifications have you tried researching and/or applying for jobs in your field?

To obtain a work visa in the US you require skills and in most cases experience, as per your statement, it needs to be proved that an American cannot do the job.

Unless you obtain the above two requirements and have something to really offer US employers, your options are limited.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
So you know that you need a work visa to work and live in the US.

That would be either an H-1B in your case, unless you obtained a job in the UK and then were transferred across to a US office of the same company.(L-1 visa)

With your degree/qualifications have you tried researching and/or applying for jobs in your field?

To obtain a work visa in the US you require skills and in most cases experience, as per your statement, it needs to be proved that an American cannot do the job.

Unless you obtain the above two requirements and have something to really offer US employers, your options are limited.
So looked up my American Studies degree and got this varied result

"American Studies graduates find jobs in a variety of sectors including banking or accountancy, the media, advertising, marketing, political administration and law. Popular career choices for American Studies graduates include teaching, journalism, publishing, law, broadcasting and librarianship."

Film might have a few more options but only interned in the industry in Canada. mainly worked retail and admin in the hospitality industry.

I currently work for a small company and not that many international companies where i live in Eastbourne lol

So does it have to be a job related to my degree. As the guy i know does ebay and online sales and we thought about doing imports from the UK and things and then if it worked he would sponsor me for a visa?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.