much needed help :)

Old Feb 4th 2018, 10:42 am
Just Joined

bradford0508 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default much needed help :)

hey!
I am new here so apologies if i ask some silly question and such!

So! I am 23, i am a payroll manager with 7 years experience in my industry and have worked very hard to get where i am
however i left school at 16 and have no uni/college qualifications and i would love, more than anything to move to the states.

I would like to know, 1. what is the realistic possibility of getting a work visa and would i have to apply for jobs and hope someone offers to file a petition for me, or am i able to apply for a work visa/green card myself and being successful in this.
(i have never committed any crimes and so on)
sorry for my ignorance its just im finding it hard to find any honest advice!

thank you
Claire
Old Feb 4th 2018, 1:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: much needed help :)

Hi and welcome to BE.

1. With no degree, realistically, zero.
2. An employer must file a petition for you. You can't do it yourself.

That being said, have a read of our Wiki article called Pulaski's Ways". It lists all the available ways into the USA.

At the moment, for you, the best option I can see is maybe an F-1 student visa. You aren't going to get a work visa with your education and work position.

I would suggest an investment visa or buying a green card outright, but at your age you probably don't have the funds for that.

Rene
Old Feb 4th 2018, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Marriage route is probably the more realistic.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Haha hard enough to find a bloke in this country!
Old Feb 4th 2018, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi and welcome to BE.

1. With no degree, realistically, zero.
2. An employer must file a petition for you. You can't do it yourself.

That being said, have a read of our Wiki article called Pulaski's Ways". It lists all the available ways into the USA.

At the moment, for you, the best option I can see is maybe an F-1 student visa. You aren't going to get a work visa with your education and work position.

I would suggest an investment visa or buying a green card outright, but at your age you probably don't have the funds for that.

Rene
Thank you 🙂
Old Feb 4th 2018, 1:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bradford0508
US recognises same sex Marriages as well
Old Feb 4th 2018, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

US recognises same sex Marriages as well
Sounds even harder!
Old Feb 4th 2018, 2:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bradford0508
In your situation I wouldn't recommend it anyway as once you get here you'd find it difficult to get anything other than menial work. The US is very degree-centric when it comes to jobs and employment.

So far as "finding a bloke" goes, on-line dating was a game-changer for many people.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 4th 2018 at 2:10 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In your situation I wouldn't recommend it anyway as once you get here you'd find it difficult to get anything other than menial work. The US is very degree-centric when it comes to jobs and employment.

So far as "finding a bloke" goes, on-line dating was a game-changer for many people.
lady that lunches?
Old Feb 4th 2018, 10:34 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Even an F-1 student visa is a very long shot for someone who left school straight after GCSEs. You'd first need to complete your A-Levels, then apply to and be accepted by a university in the USA, then prove you can pay for all the tuition plus your living expenses for at least a year. Also if your intention is to work here and live here long-term then an F-1 is not for you as you have to leave the country 60 days after completing your studies unless you are granted an additional maximum 12-month stay for optional practical training. It's not a visa route that leads to permanent residency (although you may adjust status by virtue of marriage along the way).

Many, many people want to live and work here. If it was easy, they'd all be here already.