Moving to the US - Questions

Old Feb 18th 2018, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

santz92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to the US - Questions

Hey all!

i am a 25 year old male with a business which deals with healthy pre-prepared meals, being delivered to the UK, i have a clothing line and sell gym merchandise.

my dream since being a teenager has always been to move to the U.S mainly California! i visited this beautiful city in the summer in 2016 and it cemented my decision to move over one day. I had an absolutely incredible experience there.

id like to move over to the US and expand my business especially the pre-prepared meals. (clothing and gym merch is worldwide shipping, everything is on hand just get orders and ship out). The meal prep is a bit more difficult as you need to do particular inspections and need a kitchen. I understand the health and fitness niche is heavy in California which is another reason why id love to move over there as it suits perfectly with the business's i do.

my question is: How can i get dual UK/US citizenship and start my new life in the US? this is an absolute dream of mine and i know all dreams can be conquered.
is there a particular business dual citizenship that i can get?
what if i have a friend who can sponsor me?

i look forward to hearing your advice, im so excited!

best regards!
Old Feb 18th 2018, 1:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the US - Questions

For now, you need to think in terms of which visa you can get that allows you to live and work in the USA. Cituzenship would be very far into the future, if ever. Not all visas lead to permanent residency, and you can't become a citizen until you've been a PR for several years.

So, take a look at our Wiki article called "Pulaski's Ways". It lists ask the possible visas to the USA. If you see one that applies to you, chime on back to discuss.

By the way, California is a state, not a city.

Rene
Old Feb 18th 2018, 1:08 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you read the sticky at the top of the page that explains all the possible routes into the USA? Beware, the US is one if the most difficult countries to be able to move to and for the vast majority of people it will never happen.

Where did you visit in 2016? You mention California but refer to it as a beautiful "city". California is a huge state, not a city. The problem with picking one specific place to want to move to limits your options even further.

Do you have enough to qualify for an investor visa?

How is the company established in the U.K.? How many employees do you have? If you have employees that could continue to run the business in the U.K. without you, you could establish a new branch in the US and then transfer yourself. Do you actually have premises or is this all an online, back bedroom, kind of job? If that's the case, there is no visa for that situation.

Dual citizenship is a long way away. To become a citizen you must first become a permanent resident. A work visa doesn't necessarily guarantee residency. So it's possible you may never become a citizen. You don't have to be a citizen to work here. But you do have to have a visa to get here and that's your biggest hurdle right now.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 1:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

As for the friend who can sponsor you... can you provide more details? Is the friend wanting to hire you to work in his/her company? Are they wanting to be a business partner in a startup company? Is it a romantic love interest leading to marriage?

"Sponsor me" is too vague.

Rene
Old Feb 18th 2018, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

Hey Noorah101,

sorry i meant state haha! im just so used to using the word City as i live in the UK.

i completely understand itd take a long time to get a citizenship if ever. Ill look into the Visas and come back here and update which may be suitable for me. will also look into Pulaskis ways. many many thanks!
Old Feb 18th 2018, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Have you read the sticky at the top of the page that explains all the possible routes into the USA? Beware, the US is one if the most difficult countries to be able to move to and for the vast majority of people it will never happen.

Where did you visit in 2016? You mention California but refer to it as a beautiful "city". California is a huge state, not a city. The problem with picking one specific place to want to move to limits your options even further.

Do you have enough to qualify for an investor visa?

How is the company established in the U.K.? How many employees do you have? If you have employees that could continue to run the business in the U.K. without you, you could establish a new branch in the US and then transfer yourself. Do you actually have premises or is this all an online, back bedroom, kind of job? If that's the case, there is no visa for that situation.

Dual citizenship is a long way away. To become a citizen you must first become a permanent resident. A work visa doesn't necessarily guarantee residency. So it's possible you may never become a citizen. You don't have to be a citizen to work here. But you do have to have a visa to get here and that's your biggest hurdle right now.
Ill be reading the stickies now thank you! iv seen many people emigrate over, they make it sound so easy!

i visited Los Angeles, California in 2016, i dont mind moving anywhere aslong as its in California. its just so appealing to me. if i wanted to narrow down further itd be anywhere in the Southern California region.

ill have to look into how much id need for an investor visa

the company is well established in the UK, i have enough employees to run the business whilst i am away and indeed the plan is to move to the US and branch out the business over to the US.

id have to look into the visa route in this case and then oneday fingers cross be able to get dual citizenship when/if the time is right.

i am eager to branch out the business to the US, i have many brand ambassadors who also represent my company who live there.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
As for the friend who can sponsor you... can you provide more details? Is the friend wanting to hire you to work in his/her company? Are they wanting to be a business partner in a startup company? Is it a romantic love interest leading to marriage?

"Sponsor me" is too vague.

Rene
the friend who can sponsor me is a resident of the US, he doesnt have a business so can not hire me to work in the field of work he does.

if it makes it easier for me to get a visa, id be happy to make him a business partner subject to contractual agreement. So whenever i do return to the UK for a time he can overlook the business in the US while i am away.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Open a US Subsidiary would seem the obvious route.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by santz92
the friend who can sponsor me is a resident of the US, he doesnt have a business so can not hire me to work in the field of work he does.
Only a resident of the USA, not a citizen? If he's not going to hire you or marry you, then he probably can't "sponsor" you.

if it makes it easier for me to get a visa, id be happy to make him a business partner subject to contractual agreement. So whenever i do return to the UK for a time he can overlook the business in the US while i am away.
You would have to discuss this with him and work up the financial aspect of it. Do your research on investment visas and see what comes up.

Rene
Old Feb 18th 2018, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Open a US Subsidiary would seem the obvious route.
the business's that i own is under one company with different branches under it for example

*** is the company name

*** Clothing
*** Meal Preps
*** Gym Merchandise

would that qualify to be a sort of subsidiary?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 18th 2018 at 1:37 pm. Reason: Company name removed
Old Feb 18th 2018, 1:28 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a company we are likely to have heard of? You say you deliver prepared meals. Are we talking pizza delivery? Or those meal kits like Blue Apron and Hello Fresh? I think both markets are pretty much saturated here in the US but California is a whole other game... crazier things have happened there.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that what works in the U.K. will also work here. Alone the logistics of delivering something perishable like food in the heat of southern California and with the larger distances that need to be covered will mean that you have to re-think everything. Added to that is the minefield of legislation regarding food (hygiene rules, labeling laws, banned ingredients, etc). Each state has its own laws and you might find another state is "easier" to get started.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Only a resident of the USA, not a citizen? If he's not going to hire you or marry you, then he probably can't "sponsor" you.

You would have to discuss this with him and work up the financial aspect of it. Do your research on investment visas and see what comes up.

Rene
sorry i meant he is a citizen, as in born and bred in the US. god, this stuff is baffling! lol.

im looking into Pulaskis ways right now
Old Feb 18th 2018, 1:29 pm

the business's that i own is under one company with different branches under it for example

*** is the company name

Clothing
Meal Preps
Gym Merchandise

You might want to have a 1-time consultation with an immigration attorney to discuss the various business/investment paths to the USA.

You'd have to establish a branch of the company in the USA, making sure the UK side continues to run, and hire US citizens to work in the USA branch.

Rene

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 18th 2018 at 1:38 pm. Reason: Edit to quote
Old Feb 18th 2018, 1:31 pm

sorry i meant he is a citizen, as in born and bred in the US. god, this stuff is baffling! lol.
It is, indeed! You are learning a whole new language of "immigtation-speak". Words have very specific meanings. It's a learning curve.

Rene
Old Feb 18th 2018, 1:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

is the company name

Clothing
Meal Preps
Gym Merchandise

You might want to remove the company name if it is the true name.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 18th 2018 at 2:29 pm. Reason: Edit to quote

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.