Moving to the US

Old Oct 15th 2017, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

ashler2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving to the US

Hi,
A question, i'm wanting to move to the US to work and live, I've been struggling to find information on how to go about all of this.
I know my options is either work or through spouse. Whats the easiest way to find a job there that will sponsor me?
Some basic information about myself, i'm 21, will have a degree in accounting and finance (although it will be 3 years till i'm fully qualified accountant in England, but due to different systems, i'd prefer to qualify in america.)
My girlfriend is america, we've been together for 1.5 years, the only thing is, if we go the spouse option, she may lose financial aid for College and also would lose her health insurance, so its a tricky situation.
I Would be grateful if someone could help me with my options?
Old Oct 15th 2017, 9:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the US

You are correct about the 2 basic paths available to you.

You will probably find it difficult to find a US employer to sponsor you fresh out of school, but use your connections to start applying...who knows?

Regarding marriage, it's by far the easier of the 2 ways. Why would she lose her health insurance once married? If anything, it seems she'd be able to add you to it as a spouse, which is good for you. As for her funding for school, that's a choice you'd have to make together...or wait until she graduates and then immigrate.

Rene
Old Oct 15th 2017, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

ashler2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply, i'm going to be apply for internships, see how that goes, in regards to her health insurance, its cover from her parents work, this is until she's 24, its apparently a really good policy. The tuition i would be able to help pay for while i work, but it still wouldn't be enough. Guess the green card situation will be a while away.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

She would definitely lose her health insurance (based on her parents' policy) if she marries.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 4:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Both my Brother and Father are/were Accountants and did stints i the US, my Father turned down a permanent move.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 5:06 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

A work visa is not going to happen at your age IMO, marriage is most likely your only option.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 5:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If your girlfriend is 21, I'm assuming she will be finished her college degree in either 2018 or at the longest 2019 (if she is going full time).

Use this time apart to find employment in the UK, build up your experience in the area you are pursuing and come visit as often as possible.

There is no reason why you still cannot apply for employment in the US. Just be aware of how slim the odds are that you might land something where the employer is willing to expend thousands of dollars to gain you a visa.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 6:46 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Work visas are difficult enough to come by at the best of times. But even more so if you are going to limit yourself to the city where your girlfriend is (and possibly the surrounding area). Due to the size of the country, even if you were to be successful with a work visa you could be just as far from her as if you'd stayed in England, but with less annual leave to be able to spend with her!

Marriage is the easiest route by a country mile. Assuming you have no skeletons in your closet, you are pretty much guaranteed to be granted the visa and you will not be tied to a particular employer. Iy may be too early for marriage for you right now, but that's fine. Make use of the VWP and visit when you can. Take time to really get to know each other. You've got your whole lives ahead of you. No need to rush just yet.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
She would definitely lose her health insurance (based on her parents' policy) if she marries.
That's not necessarily true... My wife didn't lose hers when we got married.

Her parents insurer is Kaiser Permanente. (Her mother does work for them as a nurse, so no idea if that changes anything)

She rang after we got married to confirm she still had coverage until she was 26 to which they said yes.

Edit - Also worth noting since then she's used it 3/4 times for doctors appointments and getting prescriptions.

Last edited by BenK91; Oct 16th 2017 at 9:00 pm. Reason: More context.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 12:10 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Get married, end of story.

Any problems associated with that are dwarfed massively by going the employment-based route, it's not even worth thinking about it if your gf is American.

Two-thirds of immigration into the US is via marriage, and of the remainder a large chunk is people sponsoring in their parents. Only a small fraction is employment-based, that should tell you immediately which path to follow.