Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Moving from the UK to America , how can it be done ???

Moving from the UK to America , how can it be done ???

Old Oct 6th 2017, 12:54 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from the UK to America , how can it be done ???

Originally Posted by Noorah101
..... How did you manage to live in San Diego many years ago? What visa did you have back then? ....
Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
I was wondering the same. And whether the same path could be walked again.
Well he is currently 41 years old, and my guess would be that "many years ago" was at least 20 years ago, and probably more than 23 years ago.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 5:41 am
Just Joined

Hathers is an unknown quantity at this point

I was wondering the same. And whether the same path could be walked again.
I was there staying with my friends I didn’t work it was an extended vacation , I was there around 8 weeks so living may have not been the best use of words in terms of my stay , sorry if I confused
It was more of a mini career break from the UK and a chance to spend some extended holiday time with friends , I know in the grand scheme of things 8 weeks isn’t long at all but it give me a chance to get to know the city and make some friends
Old Oct 6th 2017, 7:03 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hathers
I was there staying with my friends I didn’t work it was an extended vacation , I was there around 8 weeks so living may have not been the best use of words in terms of my stay , sorry if I confused
It was more of a mini career break from the UK and a chance to spend some extended holiday time with friends , I know in the grand scheme of things 8 weeks isn’t long at all but it give me a chance to get to know the city and make some friends
Have you managed to identify a suitable visa option from the Pulaski's Ways link yet?
Old Oct 6th 2017, 7:05 am
Just Joined

Hathers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Have you managed to identify a suitable visa option from the Pulaski's Ways link yet?
Not as of yet been kinda busy with work stuff , we will be looking into over the weekend

Thanks for all the advice and info guys , it’s been really helpful
Old Oct 6th 2017, 6:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hathers
Oh, OK. So visiting. Not living. Thanks for clarifying.

Rene
Old Oct 7th 2017, 12:05 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Oh, OK. So visiting. Not living. Thanks for clarifying.

Rene
By that definition of "living" I have "lived" in about 20 countries.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 12:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

By that definition of "living" I have "lived" in about 20 countries.
I think this has been resolved...the OP realizes he was visiting not living.

Now...moving on...
Old Oct 9th 2017, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cxx
That hasn't been my experience, but it may depend where you live in Canada. It costs a lot to move to Canada, and it takes a long time to get citizenship, then there are no guarantees that you will get an opportunity to move to the US so I would prefer to put that time and energy into finding a better path to the US.
I suggested a move to Canada *if* the OP is having difficulties getting into the US. Yes, waiting to become a citizen of Canada to take advantage of the TN visa would be part of a long term plan to get into the US (assuming NAFTA is still around). And I did say that much depends on your occupation. I work in IT and my wife is a nurse - we've never had any problems moving around and finding jobs in the UK, Canada and the US. People in some other occupations might find it harder.

However, you don't actually have to wait to become a Canadian citizen to then move to the US - you can be looking for jobs in the US while living in Canada on a work permit or as a PR. Being in Canada makes it easier to travel to the US for interviews etc. And you could find a job in a company in Canada that has also offices in the US (making the L1 visa a possibility).

Just a suggestion to consider. It's not for everyone.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

It's too bad that British citizens don't have an equivalent of the E-3.