Moving to Alaska (Fairbanks)

Old Sep 29th 2016, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Mummybalder is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Moving to Alaska (Fairbanks)

So my partner, myself, our two children and our two dogs have made the final decision that we will be moving from UK to Alaska.

We want to move to Fairbanks or North Pole preferably due to the school ratings for the children & the houses!

Can anyone tell me their experience doing this move?
Where my partner is best applying for jobs to gain his working visa?
Does anybody know how we go from being over in a work/spouse visa to being aloud to take citizenship?

Any help is much appreciated ☺️
Thank you
πŸ’•πŸ‘¨β€πŸ‘©β€πŸ‘§β€πŸ‘¦
Old Sep 29th 2016, 3:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Alaska (Fairbanks)

ETA scrub that - I see your "partner" doesn't already have a work visa or job to go to.

, as appears to be the case, you are moving on a work visa plus accompanying family visas, the ONLY way to get to citizenship is via permanent citizenship, aka green cards. You cannot apply for permanent residence for yourself, your employer must apply for you, and your employer is under NO obligation to apply for permanent residence for you.

Hypothetically, if you get permanent residence you can apply for citizenship for yourself, five years after getting permanent residence.

A "work visa" for the USA is very hard to get, and effectively impossible for most people. Please take a look at the two Pulaski wikis in the USA section of the Wikis tab above to see which if any route applies to you.

If your "partner" has qualifications and experience for a job that is visa-eligible it will even then be challenging for him
to find a job with an employer anywhere in the US who is prepared to sponsor a visa. Setting your sights on a job in one small town (the population of Fairbanks is only 32,000), is doomed to failure.

Key questions:

What is your "partner's" occupation? .... Does he have a degree?

Are you married? .... If you're not married, it will likely prevent you from working even if you would otherwise be eligible to do so.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 29th 2016 at 4:02 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused, though I'm afraid this is probably because you know very little about US immigration.

Do you or your partner already have a job offer and associated visa? Because, if not, working visas are very difficult or impossible for many people to obtain for the US. Especially given that you seem to have decided on a specific small town whose main employer seems to be the US military. What jobs do you and your partner do?

Also, if you do have a visa, you will likely want to get married before you move, in order to be able to use an actual derivative visa, rather than a B visa for a co-habiting partner.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 3:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummybalder
So my partner, myself, our two children and our two dogs have made the final decision that we will be moving from UK to Alaska.
You say "partner". Are you married? Is one of you a US Citizen?

We want to move to Fairbanks or North Pole preferably due to the school ratings for the children & the houses!
Where you move will be dependent on many things, so I wouldn't really pinpoint a place like that just yet.

Can anyone tell me their experience doing this move?
By "this move", you need to be more specific. Do you mean a move to the USA in general? A move to Alaska specifically? A move on which type of visa? That will make a big difference.

That totally depends on what kind of job he is looking for and qualified for. You haven't mentioned anything about his education, work experience, or field of expertise. And again, by "partner", do you mean "spouse"?

Does anybody know how we go from being over in a work/spouse visa to being aloud to take citizenship?
You mention "work/spouse" visa. Which one will it be? Those are two very different types of visas (and multiple visa types per category as well).

Any help is much appreciated ☺️
In order to help, we need a lot more information.

Are you married?
Is one of you a US Citizen?
What do you and your partner do for a living currently?
What is your education level?
Are you open to living elsewhere in the USA, or just Alaska/N. Pole?

Rene
Old Sep 29th 2016, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

All of the above, plus...

Why Alaska? It can be extremely harsh up there, especially between October and April. The days in winter are short and temperatures can be extremely low with many long periods of snow on the ground. Not to mention the fact that it's generally more expensive to live and deliveries of just about anything are a lot slower than they would be in the lower 48.

This is all assuming the move is possible. A 'work visa' is only possible for certain occupations and if the employer is prepared to spend thousands of dollars to apply on your partner's behalf. You CAN NOT apply for yourself!

Read this...

Pulaski's Ways

...and then feel free to come back with any specific questions.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

We will be married by the time we move yes.
No neither of us are US citizens. We are not to bothered where as long as it's in Alaska.
My partner is a qualified chef and a semi skilled labourer.
I mean the move from the UK to ALASKA?
Old Sep 29th 2016, 4:12 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

We will be married by the time we move yes.
Good news.

No neither of us are US citizens.
Thanks. So you will need a work or investment visa.

We are not to bothered where as long as it's in Alaska.
That's still a very small window of opportunity, but that's your choice.

My partner is a qualified chef and a semi skilled labourer.
Neither of which is likely to lead to a work visa. What do YOU do?

I mean the move from the UK to ALASKA?
Thanks.

Read the link posted above regarding all the ways into the USA, then come back if you think any of them apply to you.

Does your partner have a job offer yet? It's not likely to lead to anything as a chef, but even if it did, he would need a job offer first, and then the employer would start a petition for some kind of work visa. There is nothing for your partner to do in the way of work visas just yet, until he has an interested employer...and then it will be up to the employer to decide which visa suits the situation (and keep in mind, there might not be one).

Rene
Old Sep 29th 2016, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

I've read the link and I am slightly unsure and will give it another read soon more carefully. Not currently no, if he was to get a job offer in any area of work and they applied for a visa for him is hat how it would work as he has a lot of qualifications that can lead to different jobs. I only have experience as a health care assistant & receptionist.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 4:17 pm

Back to this question. I don't think anyone on here is a chef in Alaska, so we wouldn't know where the best place to apply for jobs would be. He would have to do his research on restaurants, hotels, resorts, etc in Alaska that might employ chefs and then apply.

Rene
Old Sep 29th 2016, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid your "final decision" is basically worthless unless you or your partner already have a job offer from a US company willing to sponsor you for a visa.

Without an appropriate visa, what you want is irrelevant. You can not move to, live in, or work in the US without first having a visa that let's you do that.

Ian
Old Sep 29th 2016, 4:21 pm

Not currently no, if he was to get a job offer in any area of work and they applied for a visa for him is hat how it would work as he has a lot of qualifications that can lead to different jobs.
How it works:
1. He applies for a job
2. He gets a job offer
3. He asks the employer "which visa will you be petitioning me for?"
4. The employer figures out which visa might be applicable, and if there is one, the employer then files a petition.
5. If the job is indeed one that leads to a visa, then he applies for the visa when the petition gets approved.

"Qualifications" don't really count for much. For most work visas, he will need a degree and some years of experience in the field.

I only have experience as a health care assistant & receptionist.
Neither of which will lead to a work visa, unfortunately.

In all honesty, not to burst your bubble, but I don't see a move to Alaska in your future.

Rene
Old Sep 29th 2016, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You both need visas. How do you propose to get them ? I mean what type of visas are you hoping to get ? Immigration into the US is tightly controlled by the Federal Governamnet and has been for decades. there is no free-for-all.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 4:22 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to be 'that guy', but the chances of either of you being eligible for a work visa in such a narrowly focused location are very, very small.

Peruse Pulaski's Ways again but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, etc.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Out of interest forum pros (yes Ian & Rene, I mean you!) what visa would he even qualify for if he could find an employer willing to pay thousands and wait months for him?

Just out of interest, I'm wondering what he'd qualify for (if any).

None that I can think of off the top of my head, but hey, it's up to the employer, not me! LOL

Rene
Old Sep 29th 2016, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Are there ski resorts in alaska? Maybe season work for the cruises? that would be an H2B visa, doesn't really get you anywhere.

Maybe an E2 visa to set up a restaurant business, high failure rate and also doesn't get you anywhere.

E5B investment $500k?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.