To move or not to move

Old Jun 16th 2017, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

gtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To move or not to move

Originally Posted by jellybean_17
Have to say I agree with all of this and more! I currently live in Florida - it is expensive, everyone wants your money, the people from everyday life are definitely not what you would experience in main tourist areas, I have NEVER seen so many churches in one place, the weather is not always great, the bugs are downright annoying, the driving is hideous and american way of life is very different to what you are probably expecting

Work hard and use that money to enjoy lots of travelling holidays instead, its much more fun!
I spent quite a bit of time living and working in Florida, when I initially moved there (Lakeland) in 2001, I found the standard of driving terrible.
Discussing this subject with colleagues they all basically blamed the snow birds or non-Floridian folks.
We had a couple of close calls going out for lunch and in every case, you couldn’t blame snow birds by any stretch of the imagination. A couple of months later, there was an article that said according to AAA, the worst drivers in the USA are in the Tampa Bay Area!
I’ve not found Florida to be overly expensive compared to other popular locations in the USA. I’d say cost of living is roughly 50% more in NorCal. After spending time in NorCal, I found Florida something of a bargain!
The USA used to be a relatively cheap place to live but that all changed, as far as I’m concerned, from roughly 2008 onwards. That will be compounded even more with the exchange rate but if living and working in the USA, you’d be paid in dollars, so wouldn’t be such a big deal.
It’s supposedly cheaper here in South Africa than the UK but I can’t say anything I’d buy here is cheaper. Everyday items are generally 50~100% more expensive. Petrol is cheaper, by some margin but used cars are multiple times the UK price levels.