Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Marrying Boyfriend transferring to US with work

Marrying Boyfriend transferring to US with work

Old Jan 16th 2017, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Kingdom2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marrying Boyfriend transferring to US with work

Guys I'm new to this forum so excuse me if I've posted incorrectly but my situation is as follows:

My boyfriend of 6 years is moving to the U.S with his current employer who are transferring him in the next few months. I would like to go there with him. We were already thinking of getting married this year anyway but this has made it all the more important.

I would like to try and transfer with my current employer later this year if I'm able to but we still want to get married and potentially me be added as an L-2 on his visa.

1) Can I get married to him when he is in NY then apply for the visa from the UK?
2) do you recommend marrying in the UK then applying from there
Your help would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Old Jan 16th 2017, 1:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marrying Boyfriend transferring to US with work

Originally Posted by Kingdom2
1) Can I get married to him when he is in NY then apply for the visa from the UK?
Yes - even if you enter on the VWP.

As far as the visa is concerned, it makes no difference whatsoever. To get an L-2 visa, you'll need a copy of your marriage certificate and a copy of his valid L-1 visa.

All else being equal, get married sooner rather than later... if only because an L-2 visa is pretty much a sure thing, whereas a B-2 visa as a cohabiting partner isn't as certain - nor is a visa via your employment.

Also, an L-2 visa would allow you to work in the US, where a B-2 visa won't.

Ian
Old Jan 16th 2017, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes - even if you enter on the VWP.

As far as the visa is concerned, it makes no difference whatsoever. To get an L-2 visa, you'll need a copy of your marriage certificate and a copy of his valid L-1 visa.

All else being equal, get married sooner rather than later... if only because an L-2 visa is pretty much a sure thing, whereas a B-2 visa as a cohabiting partner isn't as certain - nor is a visa via your employment.

Also, an L-2 visa would allow you to work in the US, where a B-2 visa won't.

Ian
Thanks Ian much appreciated for clearing up my question. Would you, or anybody, know the rough process for L2 applications? I guess I would apply for one individually since my boyfriend is already in the process of applying for his L1 via his employer
Old Jan 16th 2017, 6:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Fill out the DS-160, make an appointment at the embassy, and go to it, bringing along proof of his valid L1 and your marriage certificate.

Rene
Old Jan 16th 2017, 6:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You could also both go to his via appointment, if you have everything ready by then.

Rene
Old Jan 16th 2017, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

The employer will apply for the work petition for your partner and you both will apply to the consulate to get your visas put in your passport. Once his petition is approved then you both complete the DS-160 form and make appointments at the consulate for the processing. You could go together or if you go alone, then you need to take his approval notice and your marriage certificate. They keep the passports to add the visas then courier them to you approx 7-10 days later.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I would apply for one individually since my boyfriend is already in the process of applying for his L1 via his employer
Yes. Keep in mind that to get an L-2 visa, you must be married.

Ian
Old Jan 16th 2017, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You could also both go to his via appointment, if you have everything ready by then.

Rene
Thank you, well he is currently submitting his visa forms via his employer this week. As we are not even married yet that might take a bit of time to sort. I don't mind going long distance for a few months. I am thinking to set a marriage date once he has the all OK to go, then do all the processing once he is already out there.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Orangepants
The employer will apply for the work petition for your partner and you both will apply to the consulate to get your visas put in your passport. Once his petition is approved then you both complete the DS-160 form and make appointments at the consulate for the processing. You could go together or if you go alone, then you need to take his approval notice and your marriage certificate. They keep the passports to add the visas then courier them to you approx 7-10 days later.
Thank you. So once he receives his approval I can apply for the DS-160 myself (once married) and go from there, providing I have his documentation for visa approval?
Old Jan 16th 2017, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Guys I'm new to this forum so excuse me if I've posted incorrectly but my situation is as follows:

My boyfriend of 6 years is moving to the U.S with his current employer who are transferring him in the next few months. I would like to go there with him. We were already thinking of getting married this year anyway but this has made it all the more important.

I would like to try and transfer with my current employer later this year if I'm able to but we still want to get married and potentially me be added as an L-2 on his visa.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Can anyone also tell me say you have a J-2 but want to apply for an EAD. What is the easiest way to do it without completely moving to the U.S. Beforehand? I have a full time job and ideally want to stay in it as long as I can before I fully move over. If I am successful in getting a J-2, how does it work. Would I take a few weeks off work go to U.S., apply for an SSN and EAD at the same time? Then would I return to the UK? I know they call you for biometrics ?? So would I expect to be booking a flight back when they do? How much notice do they give
Old Jan 16th 2017, 9:14 pm

Can anyone also tell me say you have a J-2 but want to apply for an EAD. What is the easiest way to do it without completely moving to the U.S. Beforehand? I have a full time job and ideally want to stay in it as long as I can before I fully move over. If I am successful in getting a J-2, how does it work. Would I take a few weeks off work go to U.S., apply for an SSN and EAD at the same time? Then would I return to the UK? I know they call you for biometrics ?? So would I expect to be booking a flight back when they do? How much notice do they give
There is no way to apply for the EAD prior to arriving in the USA. Having J2 or L2 status in the USA is what allows you to be eligible for the EAD.

You could come to the USA on your J2 or L2, apply immediately for the EAD, stay in the USA long enough to do biometrics (if required), then go back to work in the UK until your EAD arrives in the mail in the USA.

Figure on staying in the USA 3 to 6 weeks or so.

Rene
Old Jan 16th 2017, 9:16 pm

Kingdom, if your husband's work is transferring him, he will get an L1 visa and you'll get an L2.

No J2 visa involved.

Rene
Old Feb 6th 2017, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Fill out the DS-160, make an appointment at the embassy, and go to it, bringing along proof of his valid L1 and your marriage certificate.

Rene
Hi Rene, sorry for the delay in coming back to you. Thank you so much for your help