Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Looking to move to Austin, TX (E2)

Looking to move to Austin, TX (E2)

Old Nov 24th 2017, 6:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking to move to Austin, TX (E2)

Something I have been looking at for my property. Seems lots of systems becoming available however I would looking to self install, the cost of installation seems more than the cost of equipment.

My impression is that the focus is on making install as painless as possible.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Something I have been looking at for my property. Seems lots of systems becoming available however I would looking to self install, the cost of installation seems more than the cost of equipment.

My impression is that the focus is on making install as painless as possible.
While making installation "as painless as possible" is a goal for all of the vendors in this space, the reality is that the proliferation of different products and the rate at which technology is evolving means that anything beyond the most basic system is going to be non trivial to specify, install, manage and maintain. There is a lot of pain involved and it isn't going to go away any time soon. What you can do is pay money to offload most of the pain onto someone else which is why, as you noted, the cost of installation is often substantial. It is also why, if he plays his cards right, the OP may be able to build a successful business out of this.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 10:45 am
Account Closed

Take one example that I am familiar with, alarm systems, were a pain, hard wired, expensive and expensive maintenance contracts, false calls etc.

Now diy install, wireless and much much cheaper relatively.

Thinking of putting in a smart lock for my front door with camera so I can see who enters, wherever I am, not that much money.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 12:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
.... It is also why, if he plays his cards right, the OP may be able to build a successful business out of this.
But he'll be going head-to-head with just about any business that currently has installation experience - home alarm companies, home theater/entertainment companies, cable companies, and suppliers of the hardware who already have their own favoured installers. Just about everyone and his dog wants to get into the home automation business.

And as Boiler said, now that much of the hardware has gone wifi, installation is much easier.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 1:40 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

google tells me there are 12 companies that do home automation in the greater austin area. 2.1 million residents but with a net influx of about 90 people a day - a lot of highly skilled/highly paid new residents. I think he's on to a winner. Experience tells me that you don't have to be much better to be better than the average service company here either.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But he'll be going head-to-head with just about any business that currently has installation experience - home alarm companies, home theater/entertainment companies, cable companies, and suppliers of the hardware who already have their own favoured installers. Just about everyone and his dog wants to get into the home automation business.

And as Boiler said, now that much of the hardware has gone wifi, installation is much easier.
Or the adoption/standardization of Z-wave for security systems, thermostats etc.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tom169
Or the adoption/standardization of Z-wave for security systems, thermostats etc.
I would imagine those posting on here are disproportionately likely to adopt, how many have or would pay for installation/home automation?

I have a high tec heating system but that was put in as part of the new install. I hard wired the building when I was refurbing but would probably go Z wave etc if I was doing it now.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 5:13 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Stop being Debbie Downers, guys....
Old Nov 24th 2017, 7:39 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

My prior thought on E-1 was based a perception that perhaps international trade in services was involved. It is not.

From experience, sometimes people in the same business in other cities can be helpful in giving opinions. Believe it or not, I've seen "friendly competitors" be of assistance.

OP mentions similar businesses in Austin. Sometimes acquisition of an existing business to change is better immigration wise than a total start-up. Also, a 50/50 US/UK partnership can have UK nationality for E purposes.

These ideas are off the top of my head. OP knows what he wants to do. Brainstorming with competent counsel on how to make it work is not a bad idea.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 7:41 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Stop being Debbie Downers, guys....
He wants advice on how to make it work.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

tantrum is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by asbestos
Hi S folinsky,

I believe the E1 is the Treaty Trader Visa if I am not mistaken ?

I am not in the import / export business, so do not see how this would work.

Kind Regards
The E1 requires trade of goods OR services between a UK company and US clients, so it doesn't mean it has to be a traditional import/export business. It does not require the investment needed for the E2. What is required, however, is for the UK company to already exist and demonstrated sales from US clients being at least 51% of your foreign trade.