Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Looking to move to Austin, TX (E2)

Looking to move to Austin, TX (E2)

Old Nov 22nd 2017, 10:47 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move to Austin, TX (E2)

Originally Posted by asbestos
Thanks Nutmegger !

I guess what I am asking is if many people have attempted an E2 Visa application without enlisting the help of an immigration attorney.

In regards to the business plan, I understand that it needs to show that the business has real potential to succeed - which it does. It also has the potential to grow into a substantial business hiring US citizens. However, as this will be a startup this will take time to realise this potential. I am not expecting to hire US staff for the first year. I need to build the business and reputation first.
One more query — why Austin? Has your due diligence indicated that your proposed business would have an optimal chance of success there?
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

richyje7727 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shiversaint
They are more interested in the applicant establishing that those a sunk costs, and the investment is not redeemable or extractable.

The typical way is committing to the lease of an office space.
Yes, I would be leasing an office space to satisfy USCIS requirements of a substantial investment.

Could you expand a little on the investment is not redeemable or extractable ? It is my opinion that this is and will be my investment and should I decide to shutup shop in a years time, sell the assets of the company that I can bring my capital back to the UK.
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
One more query — why Austin? Has your due diligence indicated that your proposed business would have an optimal chance of success there?
Our research showed Austin to be one of the best cities to settle in the US. I have just got back from Austin. They have great schools and there are a lot of technology firms based there. Good weather is another factor. Our research shows this is a growing city where many people are flocking to.

As with anywhere, there are good area's and bad. Wealthy and Poor. I believe Austin would be a good choice for starting up a tech company for dealing with an emerging technology.

Last edited by richyje7727; Nov 22nd 2017 at 11:00 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 10:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Our research showed Austin to be one of the best cities to settle in the US. I have just got back from Austin. They have great schools and there are a lot of technology firms based there. Good weather is another factor. ....
What constitutes "good" weather can be very personal, and many people would disagree with you, even many who already live in Texas!
Our research shows this is a growing city where many people are flocking to.
Do you have any research that says there is a market for what you want to sell, and that that market isn't fully satisfied?

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 22nd 2017 at 11:02 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, I understand what you are saying about the weather. Both myself and the wife like the sun, and yes I am willing to suffer the 100 degree summers. We both like the heat.

Yes, I have done research on the type of companies and visited a couple whilst I was there. Again this is an emerging market so I am sure there will be growth in this area.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 1:18 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

These forums have a history of being somewhat negative on E visas. It used to be worse.

An experienced immigration lawyer is a good idea. BE member J Craig Fong in Pasadena CA is often recommended. (I used to share space with him. He is a wonderful human being and knows what he is doing)

Out of idle curiosity, have you considered E--1 status? The rules are different and may require a different plan.

In seeking legal advice, it is often to NOT define your inquiries in terms of a particular visa classification.

Good luck.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

Hi S folinsky,

I believe the E1 is the Treaty Trader Visa if I am not mistaken ?

I am not in the import / export business, so do not see how this would work.

Kind Regards
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 2:12 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

There's definitely a market for this in Austin.
High tech relocation is going gangbusters.

$50k pa to live on though? There aren't that many great High schools. I can think of 2 excellent, 1 ok and lots of very mediocre ones. $2500 per month minimum for a family home in a good school district. Probably closer to $3k is not going to leave you much to live on.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
There's definitely a market for this in Austin.
High tech relocation is going gangbusters.

$50k pa to live on though? There aren't that many great High schools. I can think of 2 excellent, 1 ok and lots of very mediocre ones. $2500 per month minimum for a family home in a good school district. Probably closer to $3k is not going to leave you much to live on.
I certainly wouldn't want to live on $50k in Austin.

A couple of guys in our office out there put in relocation requests (I think one has already moved!) due to the rising costs in Austin due to the influx of tech companies and gentrification.

It's worth noting Austin is one of a few cities booming, here in Denver things are really starting to pick up too with Google and Amazon opening their premises in the new year.

If you like Texas though then why not! Hopefully you're able to get in touch with an Immigration attorney shortly.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 3:03 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
These forums have a history of being somewhat negative on E visas. ....
One man's negativity is another man's realism. It is tough to start a business from scratch, very tough. Then try to do it in another country, .... that doesn't make it any easier.

Then throw a different tax regime on top, and "moving house", and perhaps finding a new school for the kids. Statistically most new start-up businesses fail, and that's when you know the rules, the taxes and have a stable family situation, home and kids in school. To move to another country, and start a business, and succeed, takes a lot more than $100k, a plan on a spreadsheet, and some words of encouragement from a friendly lawyer.

There are obviously E-2 business that succeed, and some that thrive, but many do not, and to dismiss us as being "negative" entirely misses the point, that what Mr Asbestos is about to do is probably the toughest thing he has ever done, and much tougher than he anticipates. He might have what it takes to succeed, or maybe not, but pointing out some of the issues he will face, does not make us negative. I would argue that our experience, as immigrants making a living, is as relevant as any platitudes from an immigration lawyer.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 23rd 2017 at 3:05 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 3:07 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
I certainly wouldn't want to live on $50k in Austin.

A couple of guys in our office out there put in relocation requests (I think one has already moved!) due to the rising costs in Austin due to the influx of tech companies and gentrification.

It's worth noting Austin is one of a few cities booming, here in Denver things are really starting to pick up too with Google and Amazon opening their premises in the new year.

If you like Texas though then why not! Hopefully you're able to get in touch with an Immigration attorney shortly.
I don't think Austin prices are rising that much at all. House rental prices in good school districts haven't risen much at all in the last few years. Plenty of new build apartments closer to downtown are keeping prices at a decent level there. Plenty of availability too.

I think the OP has a good business idea. I think the business plan may need reworking though to make it liveable and I wonder how much scouting of the competition he has done?
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
One man's negativity is another man's realism. It is tough to start a business from scratch, very tough. Then try to do it in another country, .... that doesn't make it any easier.

Then throw a different tax regime on top, and "moving house", and perhaps finding a new school for the kids. Statistically most new start-up businesses fail, and that's when you know the rules, the taxes and have a stable family situation, home and kids in school. To move to another country, and start a business, and succeed, takes a lot more than $100k, a plan on a spreadsheet, and some words of encouragement from a friendly lawyer.

There are obviously E-2 business that succeed, and some that thrive, but many do not, and to dismiss us as being "negative" entirely misses the point, that what Mr Asbestos is about to do is probably the toughest thing he has ever done, and much tougher than he anticipates. He might have what it takes to succeed, or maybe not, but pointing out some of the issues he will face, does not make us negative. I would argue that our experience, as immigrants making a living, is as relevant as any platitudes from an immigration lawyer.

That and the fact that if the business fails / USCIS aren't happy, you have to pack your bags and leave the country.

Oh, and the E-2 non-immigrant visa doesn't allow you to directly adjust status to that of a permanent resident (read: green card). You're going to need to grow the business many times that $100k investment to even attempt it.

Visa from hell if you ask me.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Somewhat on topic... OP, I assume you have seen Iris by Lowe's.

If not then it's DIY home automation and it's cheap. Some things I like is that if any of the smoke detectors go off it will shut down my AC.

I assume you're going to be targeting high end customers who don't fancy a DIY solution.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I would be leasing an office space to satisfy USCIS requirements of a substantial investment.

Could you expand a little on the investment is not redeemable or extractable ? It is my opinion that this is and will be my investment and should I decide to shutup shop in a years time, sell the assets of the company that I can bring my capital back to the UK.
You'd be satisfying the requirement there. The concept that the investment is not extractable is to prevent people investing in say, a franchise of a hedge fund, for example, or something quite liquid like that, where you could walk at any moment and your funds would be relatively untouched. With something like an office lease, the money is "gone" and permanently committed.

Selling assets when you're ready to move on, and profit from your venture, is more than acceptable and not taken into consideration with an E-2.

My comments regarding you writing a business plan may have been taken too aggressively. My point was that paying for a business plan is not something that is congruent with a well formed E-2 application that stands a good chance of being accepted. You, as the business owner, would typically be more than capable of writing a cognizant business plan that the E-Unit would find acceptable. I would go so far to say that if you don't feel you can do that, then I would not apply.

I stand by my statements regarding aspirations and plans for business growth - you need to show evidence that the business will contribute to the economy and show a good level of growth. All of these things are subjective, so it's as much to do with the way the application is worded, which is why a good E-2 experienced attorney is almost essential. The reason that employing USCs is being mentioned, is that that is by far and away the easiest way of proving the business will be successful, as it'll demand the support of both local knowledge and local manpower.

This forum can be incredibly negative, I agree, but I'd say you're getting off lightly compared to some cases recently. Knowing a little bit about your industry, I think you'll be just fine with a $100k investment (that's a safe amount to go for), but I think if you're prepared to spend $100k, then another 5% on a good attorney helping you with your application is well worth it. I can also recommend someone who has helped with my E-2.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 12:57 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Our research showed Austin to be one of the best cities to settle in the US. I have just got back from Austin. They have great schools and there are a lot of technology firms based there. Good weather is another factor. Our research shows this is a growing city where many people are flocking to.

As with anywhere, there are good area's and bad. Wealthy and Poor. I believe Austin would be a good choice for starting up a tech company for dealing with an emerging technology.
You mention schools. Do you have children? One of the most difficult aspects of the E-2 is that the business may be doing well, you’re getting renewal after renewal, but the children age out at 21 (with a slight postponement of the evil hour if they are in college) and have to leave the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.