Looking for a definitive answer

Old Jan 4th 2018, 11:03 am
Igi
Just Joined

Igi has a reputation beyond reputeIgi has a reputation beyond reputeIgi has a reputation beyond reputeIgi has a reputation beyond reputeIgi has a reputation beyond reputeIgi has a reputation beyond reputeIgi has a reputation beyond reputeIgi has a reputation beyond reputeIgi has a reputation beyond reputeIgi has a reputation beyond reputeIgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Looking for a definitive answer

Hey guys!

I've been up and down the internet trying to piece together information to get a real answer to what I can do about my situation. If any of you guys can help me out, I'd be extremely grateful. I've read through all the stickies but I'm left a little confused as some of the info here doesn't match info I've found elsewhere so I'd rather just ask.

Essentially, I want to move to the US and produce income while I'm there.

My situation:
- Age 21
- Currently dating a US citizen for nearly 3 years
- Currently in full-time employment for UK company (no US offices) as a web developer and product development manager since March 2016
- 2 years experience as a bartender and 4-5 months experience in retail
- 3-4 years of voluntary work as a web developer and systems administrator for a number of online communities.
- Not a millionaire or capable of opening a business in the US (Here's hoping those lottery tickets win one day )

Now, I'm starting to get the impression that my only real chance of getting to the states is to get married. Ideally, this wants to be a last resort. It's definitely a possibility so it's not out of the question, we'd just like to explore other options if at all possible.
I've had a look on some government sites and I believe I just about qualify for a third preference green card which sounded promising at first... but reading through these forums seems to give me the impression that maybe some false hope.

The other option was having my partner move over here, but that seemed like an even more impossible task due to them having little qualifications and no funds to follow up with a student visa.

Any kind of guidance would be appreciated. I just want a definitive answer on what my options are before I pursue any dead ends. If you need any more info from me, just ask and I'll be an open book.

Much thanks!
Old Jan 4th 2018, 11:47 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a definitive answer

Your only option is likely to be the one you've identified - get married. If it's something you're already heading towards, whats the problem with speeding it up a bit so that you can live on the same continent?

I think your chances of getting an EB3 are pretty much zero at 21 - what skills do you offer that US colleges are not pumping out by the hundreds every year?

Others on the forum may well frown on getting married to 'get a visa', but it's what many of us did, and that's not even really what it was.

Last edited by civilservant; Jan 4th 2018 at 11:49 am.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 12:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you really want to move to the USA based on work, it will be multi-year process, by which time you'll probably want to marry anyway.

At age 21, you probably don't have the experience that US employers are looking for in your field (the bar and retail work doesn't count), when there are USCs who don't need the employer to shell out thousands of dollars for a visa.

The other option is to get a job in the UK with a company that has offices in the USA, then after 1 year of employment ask for a transfer.

Your most secure way to the USA is via marriage. If this is a person you've dated long distance for 3 years and are ready to marry, the marriage visa shouldn't be the last resort. It is the one that will allow you to live together on the same continent.

Rene
Old Jan 4th 2018, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

K1 or CR1
Old Jan 4th 2018, 1:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Continuation of marriage based visas discussion here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/marri...cr-1-a-907501/

This thread is closed.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jan 4th 2018 at 1:36 pm.