L2 visa and EAD

Old Sep 28th 2006, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Jenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of light
Question L2 visa and EAD

My husband's company are filing an L1 visa request for him and from my research I see that I need an L2, and then an EAD to work. Does it really take 90 days for the EAD to be issued, and can I leave the country during that time? (ie to stay in my current job until I can work!)
Thanks
Old Sep 29th 2006, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ivonne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: L2 visa and EAD

Originally Posted by Jenster
My husband's company are filing an L1 visa request for him and from my research I see that I need an L2, and then an EAD to work. Does it really take 90 days for the EAD to be issued, and can I leave the country during that time? (ie to stay in my current job until I can work!)
Thanks
It all depends on the service center and how many cases they have. My latest EAd only took about 1 month.

Yes, you can leave during that time.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Jenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of lightJenster is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ivonne
It all depends on the service center and how many cases they have. My latest EAd only took about 1 month.

Yes, you can leave during that time.
And this sounds stupid but do I need to have a job lined up before I can apply (our immigration lawyer is in hospital so I couldn't ask!) as I can't imagine it's too easy to get a job when you don't know when you can start.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 11:35 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

And this sounds stupid but do I need to have a job lined up before I can apply (our immigration lawyer is in hospital so I couldn't ask!) as I can't imagine it's too easy to get a job when you don't know when you can start.
You do not need to have a job arranged .....
McDonalds are always hiring ....
Old Oct 1st 2006, 9:38 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
My wife has a L-2 and her EAD came through in about a month (processed at VT, April 2005).

Am I dreaming or did I read somewhere that L-2 holders don't need EADs any more in order to work?
Old Oct 1st 2006, 1:00 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Am I dreaming or did I read somewhere that L-2 holders don't need EADs any more in order to work?
Your dreaming
Old Oct 7th 2006, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

GlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to all

It can also take longer.

My wife waited almost 6 months. At around 90 days they informed us they needed more information (a copy of the marriage certificate the same office had already seen in order to issue the L2...) and thus she was not eligable to apply for a temporary work authorisation.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GlasgowBoy
It can also take longer.

My wife waited almost 6 months. At around 90 days they informed us they needed more information (a copy of the marriage certificate the same office had already seen in order to issue the L2...) and thus she was not eligable to apply for a temporary work authorisation.
I take it that the delay was caused because the marriage certificate was missing? Which office was this?
Old Oct 8th 2006, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

GlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to allGlasgowBoy is a name known to all

I take it that the delay was caused because the marriage certificate was missing? Which office was this?
The office was Laguna Niguel, CA and no - the marriage certificate wasn't missing. We simply never included it because:

A: The EAD application notes did not ask for it, and;

B: We assumed they would be able deduce from the fact that the L2 visa had already been issued that we had already shown our marriage certificate at our visa interview.

The second point - assuming they can apply logic or common sense - was our big mistake. When you make your application, include copies of absolutely everything you think they may want to see regardless of whether they ask for it not. Include your visa approval notice, birth certificate and marriage certificate.

Best of Luck,
GB.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GlasgowBoy
The office was Laguna Niguel, CA and no - the marriage certificate wasn't missing. We simply never included it because:

A: The EAD application notes did not ask for it, and;

B: We assumed they would be able deduce from the fact that the L2 visa had already been issued that we had already shown our marriage certificate at our visa interview.

The second point - assuming they can apply logic or common sense - was our big mistake. When you make your application, include copies of absolutely everything you think they may want to see regardless of whether they ask for it not. Include your visa approval notice, birth certificate and marriage certificate.

Best of Luck,
GB.
I will certainly be doing that because there's no way we can manage 6 months on one income! Thanks for your tip.