L1A Visa Advise Please

Old Sep 28th 2017, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Bournemouth Girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1A Visa Advise Please

Hi Everyone,

I had my interview at the US embassy yesterday for L1A blanket Visa. The interview didn't go very well and I was wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar and have an idea of what the outcome will be.

The interviewer was very short and didn't ask me anything about my US role. She asked my current role, she said your salary is xx I said yes it will be as was my US salary offer she stated. She then asked if I had a hierarchy ( I didn't have one on me - had no idea to bring this). Asked how many levels were above me - 6 ( I work for a very large US company and 6 levels from the CEO).

She then remarked she will have to review with her colleagues or her supervisor.. can't remember her exact words, as they are looking more for executives but did say she could see I clearly was a manager with hire / fire authority. She kept my passport and said I should hear in a week.

Anyone have any idea what this means? I'm totally confused and I have tried searching but can't find anything similar happening to anyone else.

Thanks,
Old Sep 28th 2017, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1A Visa Advise Please

Pretty typical of the Consular Officers!

If they kept your passport, you've got your visa. You might go into administrative processing for a little bit longer than normal if they truly do want to review internally, but I suspect they were just flexing muscles like they often do, because they can do what they want with impunity.

As I say, if they kept your passport, they're intending on giving you your visa. They generally don't take passports unless they are going to.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 1:53 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

As above, you're generally approved if they keep your passport. Keep an eye out for a courier email notifying you that they've handed it to the courier
Old Sep 28th 2017, 2:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the above advice, more or less - there is no reason to keep your passport other than to put a visa in it, so it is highly likely that you'll get your visa, but I wouldn't bet my life on it.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone, I'm a nervous wreck waiting but you've helped me a feel a bit calmer. Status just shows administrative processing. I find it so strange that she said about having to review and I'd hear back in a week as can't find anyone else who has experienced this. They certainly know how to keep you guessing. :S
Old Sep 28th 2017, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bournemouth Girl
Thanks everyone, I'm a nervous wreck waiting but you've helped me a feel a bit calmer. Status just shows administrative processing. I find it so strange that she said about having to review and I'd hear back in a week as can't find anyone else who has experienced this. They certainly know how to keep you guessing. :S
Agree with everyone and if they have your passport then the chances are they aren't expecting there to be an issue. It can feel quite intimidating there and l think we all read so much in to what is said which is understandable as it is so massive to us as it is our life but to them it is a 5 min conversation out of an & hour day and it really could mean nothing.
We had to go twice back in April and l took nothing for granted until we got notified that the passports were ready for collection and l think that is wise advise regardless of how things went.
Wishing you lots of luck and please let us know how you get on.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 6:58 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Why does OP think it did not go well?
Old Sep 28th 2017, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Why does OP think it did not go well?
I agree. There is nothing in the OP's post to indicate that it didn't go well, apart from "not hitting it off".
Old Sep 28th 2017, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
I don't think it went well as CO said they are 'looking more for executives and stayed on the point there's 6 layers above me... which isn't bad for my company and said I'm just telling you what we're up against, she needs to review etc just didn't sound positive in any way..
Old Sep 28th 2017, 9:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I don't think it went well as CO said they are 'looking more for executives and stayed on the point there's 6 layers above me... which isn't bad for my company and said I'm just telling you what we're up against, she needs to review etc just didn't sound positive in any way..
She was just yanking your chain. Personally I think that L-1's are handed out too easily, and obviously the consular officer did too, but she is only a small cog in the machine and is pretty powerless to challenge most visa applications under an L-1 blanket, and she knows it, which is probably why she was crabby.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 9:42 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Sure you weren't wearing a nice new pair of shoes/jacket she wanted and couldn't get because you got the last one?

Lots of people on here have had similar experiences during interview and ultimately got approved, try not to read too much into it.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Hi All,

Update on this - I have received the below email this morning.
The U.S. Department of State Consulate located in London has released document related to your Visa application

Online status still shows as Administrative Processing last updated the date of the interview.

Anyway to tell if this is a rejection and them returning my passport or a request for further details? Or (keeping everything crossed) my Passport with the Visa in it.

Thanks,
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute

It is not a rejection - yet. It just means that there is a backlog of visas that need dealt with by that embassy and that it is being looked at. I did my visa application in June when it was very "light" workload at the embassy and had approval that day. A friend of mine did his when the H1B was being processed and he was stuck in "processing" for 2 weeks.

Based on what you said, the worst case scenario for you is that the deny the L1A (managerial) and you will need to apply for an L1B. The only difference with those visas is the increase in time for your GC (they need to go through the labor certification etc)
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:33 pm

Hi All,

Update on this - I have received the below email this morning.
The U.S. Department of State Consulate located in London has released document related to your Visa application

Online status still shows as Administrative Processing last updated the date of the interview.

Anyway to tell if this is a rejection and them returning my passport or a request for further details? .....
It just means that they haven't got to your file yet. It is neither negative nor positive, and most applications flagged as "Administrative Processing" will, in due course, be approved and a visa issued. Some staying in AP for a few days, some a couple of weeks, and sometimes even longer.

I have heard that some enter AP and stay there for years/permanently, but that it's rare and for reasons specific to the applicant.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Do you know why they would have sent documents to the courier though if they haven't got to my file yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.