L1a and L2 question

Old Nov 15th 2017, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

NIels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1a and L2 question

I have recently moved to the US with my wife. She has an L1A through her work and I got an L2 as dependent. I have a few job offers and will most likely start working soon. My question is:
If I get a job and for some reason my wife loses her job. What happens then? Do we get to stay, seeing I will be working or are both our visas revoked? We will apply for green cards this year, but apparently the process time is lengthy (anyone knows how long?)
Thank you for your help, there are clearly a lot of knowledgeable people in here.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 3:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1a and L2 question

Your visa and work authorization are dependent on her job and visa. If she loses her job, your status is also lost, and you would both have to leave the USA.

I don't know how long the AOS process takes, sorry.

Rene
Old Nov 15th 2017, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi! Just checking because you didn't mention it, have you applied for your Employment Authorization Document (EAD card)? On an L2, you need the card before you can actually start working.

Regarding your question, if your wife loses her job, she loses her L1 status. As your L2 is based on hers, you lose your L2 as well.

The green card timeline varies quite a bit. Google EB2 steps for an idea of the general process.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 3:40 pm
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NIels
I have recently moved to the US with my wife. She has an L1A through her work and I got an L2 as dependent. I have a few job offers and will most likely start working soon. My question is:
If I get a job and for some reason my wife loses her job. What happens then? Do we get to stay, seeing I will be working or are both our visas revoked? We will apply for green cards this year, but apparently the process time is lengthy (anyone knows how long?)
Thank you for your help, there are clearly a lot of knowledgeable people in here.
I can't add to what's already been said on the visa situation, but I do agree that if she loses her L-1A classification, unfortunately you will lose your L-2 as well.

What permanent residency classification will she be petitioned for? Presumably, it'll be EB-1C as it's strikingly similar to L-1A. I've been in the US for nearly 2 years on L-1A and my EB-1C petition was submitted in May. I'm still waiting for adjudication. FWIW, the attorneys took around 2-3 months to pull together the required documentation and correctly present the I-140 and evidence.

I was told to expect at least 6-9 months after submission though.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Guys, thank you! This is the most useful information I have found on the internet for years! EAD...nope, didn't think of that one. When I got my SSN the lady told me I was free to find a job. Guess she forgot about that as well. Better crack on with some more admin.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 4:18 pm
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute

EAD...nope, didn't think of that one. When I got my SSN the lady told me I was free to find a job. Guess she forgot about that as well. Better crack on with some more admin.
Ahh. That might take 3 months in itself. And as has been said before, you cannot start work without it.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 4:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Www.uscis.gov, Form I-765, for Employment Authorization Document (EAD). You definitely need your EAD in hand to be eligible to work.

Rene
Old Nov 15th 2017, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

3 months...that is a lot of fishing. Oh well, application done. Off to the post office. Thanks again for the valuable info.
Old Nov 15th 2017, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

3 months...that is a lot of fishing. Oh well, application done. Off to the post office. Thanks again for the valuable info.
You might get lucky. My EAD only took 42 days to arrive from posting application to having it in hand.