Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L1A - Just been told the sponsoring office is closing

L1A - Just been told the sponsoring office is closing

Old Jul 28th 2016, 1:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1A - Just been told the sponsoring office is closing

Originally Posted by Boiler
Hillary maybe able to help.
I think Hillary needs help, which isn't quite the same thing.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 2:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

From the Russians?
Old Jul 28th 2016, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

She needs (and will take) help from anyone.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 3:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

As this is the Immigration Forum...can we please stay on topic guys?
Old Jul 29th 2016, 1:42 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
My understanding is that once the I-485 is filed, you are allowed to stay in the USA "under color of law" until a decision is made on your AOS, regardless of what happens to the office in the UK

Rene
Only if a visa number is immediately available, and they're only showing EB-1 as current in the current visa bulletin. So if the OP is a "multinational manager or executive" he might qualify but by definition he doesn't as the company is no longer international.

The priority dates aren't massively backlogged though, if they were willing to file an I-140 and wait awhile they could then bring him over on an immigrant visa as EB-3. But apparently they aren't willing to wait.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 1:51 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud
Does the closure of the office AFTER the application negatively effect the application? Anyone have experience of this? I was told that licenses would be on the line if they didn't tell USCIS, but if it doesn't matter and I stand the same chance of being accepted/declined as normal then Rene has probably hit the nail on the head. Bottom line as I see it anyway, if the company doesn't want to submit then thats it anyway, no matter what BS excuse they come up with.

Sorry, just trying to understand a few things before I ask for a meeting.
Yes, they have to inform USCIS. As far as the affect on an immigration petition, depends on what they've filed for. Obviously it would affect a petition as a multinational manager but EB-2 or EB-3 it wouldn't have any real affect, but you can't get EB-2 or EB-3 straight away, there would be a gap. The question is whether you can figure something out to cover that gap.

The other option as someone already mentioned, if you're totally amazing you can do EB-1A.

Marry your American gf?

Last edited by Steve_; Jul 29th 2016 at 1:54 am.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

LonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Steve_
Yes, they have to inform USCIS. As far as the affect on an immigration petition, depends on what they've filed for. Obviously it would affect a petition as a multinational manager but EB-2 or EB-3 it wouldn't have any real affect, but you can't get EB-2 or EB-3 straight away, there would be a gap. The question is whether you can figure something out to cover that gap.

The other option as someone already mentioned, if you're totally amazing you can do EB-1A.

Marry your American gf?
I don't think my wife would allow that

When you say gap, what do you mean?
Old Jul 29th 2016, 2:44 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

In order to be able to file for AOS immediately, the employer has to file an I-140, labor cert, and you an I-485, they can only do that if a visa number is immediately available, and they're not, currently.

If you still had L-1, they'd file the I-140 and the labor cert, wait for a visa number then you file the I-485 but you're going to lose your L-1 status so there will be a gap between the two.

https://travel.state.gov/content/vis...gust-2016.html

I have to say since they changed that I'm a bit confused by it, because what they seem to be saying is that if your employer filed an I-140 for EB-3, the NVC would immediately respond and ask you to apply for a visa - but they're not going to issue the visa until the priority date rolls around.

Also hard to figure out how long the wait actually is, it's moved 11 months in one year, so that would seem to imply you'd have a five month-ish wait [edit WTH am I on about, that clearly means a year] but you never really know until the new USCIS FY starts in October. As it's moving forward almost in date order, are they just saying they reckon no-one who applied in March is going to complete PERM before the start of their new FY?

Also you'd have to go through the DoL PERM labour certification process which takes about six months (hopefully).

Talk to an immigration lawyer who has done an EB-3 lately and see how long it takes if you want a firm answer.

But long story short, you're not going to get it in three months.

Last edited by Steve_; Jul 29th 2016 at 2:48 am.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

LonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Steve, When you said gap i was assuming that there was some rule which stated because you had A you couldn't then apply for B until C had elapsed.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to note you can have an I-140 pending on multiple categories at the same time
Old Jul 30th 2016, 2:45 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Thanks Steve, When you said gap i was assuming that there was some rule which stated because you had A you couldn't then apply for B until C had elapsed.
Hmm, I edited that post and the edit didn't appear, obviously I made a mistake, if the trend shows 11 months, then it's likely 11 months. Duh. Never take the priority date away from today's date.

Anyway, the thought occurs, could you become a subcontractor and do E-2? Not that I recommend it, you have to make a substantial investment and it cannot be a subsistence business, but hey, if they're not going to help you, may as well start your own business and go into competition with them. Karma.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Since everyone loves a theoretical question here is one...

First of all, I'm letting the lawyers figure this one out. I drove myself nuts looking into visa options last time.

A non-profit, which operates in my particular field has expressed an interest in my services. I do not have a degree, but I have 6+ years of specific experience and 10+ over all. I am considered an expert and have at least one award for excellence in this field (if it matters, it's anti-counterfeiting related).

If I am currently on an L1A (doing the same type of work) would this be taken into account or could it be used as evidence towards an H1B?

Just to add, the office sponsoring the L1A is closing and this is a completely new employer. I am still in the US.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 12:59 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I do not have a degree...
It's not just whether you have a degree or not... the job must also require a degree! If it doesn't, it's unlikely that an H-1B application will be successful.

Ian
Old Aug 4th 2016, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

Fair point.

In that case the job requires a degree (I've had one conversation with them and tbh that never came up)
Old Aug 4th 2016, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

Fair point.

In that case the job requires a degree (I've had one conversation with them and tbh that never came up)
Yes, if the job normally requires a degree, and you have 12 years of experience that can be used as an equivalent to the degree , then an H1B is possible and seeing how it it as a non-profit, then it could potentially quality for a cap exemption (but the non profit must be considered a "research" institution or affiliated to a university )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.