L1-a Visa - Fiancé

Old Nov 30th 2017, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

zfisher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1-a Visa - Fiancé

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone can help me.

I found out last week that I've been accepted for a role in the US on a L1-a visa. I have been upfront that I will be bringing my partner with me and that we aren't married. However the articles I've been reading are saying that spouses and unmarried children are eligible but says nothing about if you aren't married to your partner.

Would really appreciate it if someone can provide any advice.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1-a Visa - Fiancé

You'll have to get married if you want your partner to accompany you on a dependent visa i.e she will get an L-2 visa dependent on yours.

Otherwise, she will have to obtain her own visa.......
Old Nov 30th 2017, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

Is there no other visa at all that he could apply for? Even if it's short term? We get married in 2019.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

He could apply for a B/1 co-habiting partner visa which will give him 6 months initially and then he can re-new it on 6 or 12 month basis.

Difficulties with this is that it is not guaranteed that renewals will be obtained and he cannot work on this visa.

However, if you don't want to bring the marriage forward, then this is his only option, unless he tries for his own work visa.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 11:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zfisher
Is there no other visa at all that he could apply for? Even if it's short term? We get married in 2019.
Have a big event and celebration in 2019 if you want, but by far the best option is a quick trip to the registry office soon, or the court house if you want to fit it in while visiting the US (very easy, and unlike the UK, a visitor doesn't need a visa to get married).

Unless you're married your "partner" will be unable to work while he is physically located in the US, unless he can obtain a work visa in his own right, or has enough money to swing an investor visa.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies. We're both in a bit of a panic now. We have a slight issue in that we have already paid a large amount of money for a venue in Orlando already, which is non-refundable.

I don't know whether anyone on here would know but is it legal to get married at a UK registry office and then marry again (but kind of unofficially and just go through the day, etc?)

Other than that I think we are going to have to go down the visitor visa option for him, which isn't ideal. We are in a position though too, that we can live off my salary, so he doesn't need to find a job immediately.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for your replies. We're both in a bit of a panic now. We have a slight issue in that we have already paid a large amount of money for a venue in Orlando already, which is non-refundable.

I don't know whether anyone on here would know but is it legal to get married at a UK registry office and then marry again (but kind of unofficially and just go through the day, etc?)

Other than that I think we are going to have to go down the visitor visa option for him, which isn't ideal. We are in a position though too, that we can live off my salary, so he doesn't need to find a job immediately.

As said you can have a registry wedding now, and have a big bash, renewal of vows type of ceremony in 2019.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

Great thanks. Would it be questioned why we've just got married before the visa process started or is that ok?
Old Nov 30th 2017, 11:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know whether anyone on here would know but is it legal to get married at a UK registry office and then marry again (but kind of unofficially and just go through the day, etc?) ....
Based on posts on BE, it is quite common. The is nothing to compell whoever performs the ceremony to file the paperwork. Just tell them it is a "renewal of vows" and that there will be no marriage license or filing at the courthouse afterwards. It's a total non-issue.
Great thanks. Would it be questioned why we've just got married before the visa process started or is that ok?
Again a total non-issue, because it is fairly common for couples under exactly your circumstances.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 30th 2017 at 11:55 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 12:16 am
Just Joined

Thank you, I appreciate all your advice!
Old Dec 1st 2017, 7:21 am
Just Joined

I have another question. My visa is being rushed through and I'm likely to have to start filling in the forms before we can get married.

How does that work in terms of the status I need to give? I.e. Is it ok for my marital status to change halfway through the process?
Old Dec 1st 2017, 7:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have another question. My visa is being rushed through and I'm likely to have to start filling in the forms before we can get married.

How does that work in terms of the status I need to give? I.e. Is it ok for my marital status to change halfway through the process?
Yes
Old Dec 1st 2017, 9:08 am

Yup, no problem - again a non-issue. People get married in the real world, and the visa process takes it in its stride.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I got married in the city hall in Barcelona 2 days before our visa interview in Madrid.

The consular official merely raised his eyebrows and said "congrats, I guess", and approved our visas on the spot
Old Dec 1st 2017, 2:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

And most probably ok to change marital status after the visa is issued. USCIS doesn't care simply because you are not going for an immigration visa but rather a work visa which might or might not become a means for legal permanent resident status IF your employer is generous and applies for the change of status for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.