Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L-1a to Green Card processing route?

L-1a to Green Card processing route?

Old Feb 27th 2018, 10:33 pm
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L-1a to Green Card processing route?

Originally Posted by Aquapanther
The timings my lawyer gave me (although I'm doubting everything he says now), was 6-7 months for the I-140 and 12-14 months for the I-485.

I would defo apply for the EAD and AP just to give myself some options, but it is not clear to me whether they would actually be real options if anything was to go wrong with the company that sponsor me.

Regarding AP, this is what he said to me;

"You cannot travel while the I-485 is pending unless you also obtain a travel permit. When we submit the I-485 we also recommend filing the I-131 travel permit and the I-765 work permit. Those applications are usually approved in 4 to 5 months. After you obtain the travel permit you can travel while the I-485 is pending."

So I assumed that this means I cannot leave the US until the I-131 is approved, even on my L-1?
No, that’s not correct. You can travel outside of the US and re-enter in your L-1, even while the I-485 is pending. See: https://my.uscis.gov/helpcenter/article/i-am-an-l-1-worker-with-an-adjustment-application-pending-can-i-travel-outside-the-u-s-and-return-to-this-status

If you re-enter in Advance Parole, you’ll need your EAD to keep working for your L-1 company as you won’t be in L-1 status. However, you can re-enter (if admitted, obviously) on your L-1 and be in L-1 status. So still no EAD required to work for your sponsoring employer.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Aquapanther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hmvsdog
No, that’s not correct. You can travel outside of the US and re-enter in your L-1, even while the I-485 is pending. See: https://my.uscis.gov/helpcenter/arti...to-this-status

If you re-enter in Advance Parole, you’ll need your EAD to keep working for your L-1 company as you won’t be in L-1 status. However, you can re-enter (if admitted, obviously) on your L-1 and be in L-1 status. So still no EAD required to work for your sponsoring employer.
Thanks (again).
Looks like I should be considering changing lawyer.....................
Old Feb 27th 2018, 10:44 pm
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aquapanther
Thanks (again).
Looks like I should be considering changing lawyer.....................
No problem. Maybe I should become one...
Old Feb 28th 2018, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

sadiigo is an unknown quantity at this point

I just completed this "exciting" journey and can share my experience on the time lines.
Aug 2016 - filed I140 (receipt dated 23rd of Aug) Nebraska center, filed I485 at the same time
Lawyers also filed I131 and I765, but as it was mentioned here for L1 you don't really need them if you stay in the same job, so we travelled using our visas only
Dec 2016 received EADs and travel cards valid for 1 year and biometrics appointments, which we took in January 2017. Medicals were actually done in July 2016 and submitted with I140/I485
Long wait....
Checking processing times on USCIS site.... indication of 12 months for I140
Sep 2017 - I140 approved
Lawyers filed again for I131 and I765, since originals were to expire in December
Dec 2017 - received RFE to update I485J and medicals (those are valid for 1 year only!)
Jan 30th 2018 - completed medicals again and sent with I485J (form to prove that the job still is in place)
8th Feb 2018 - I485 approved!
14th Feb 2018 - green cards arrived.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Millski is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm currently going through the same process and have just received notice that my I140 petition for a multinational manager was approved (receipt dated June 9th 2017, Texas service center). I haven't filed for adjustment of status yet and have similar concerns regarding job security, so near and yet so far!!
Old Feb 28th 2018, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Aquapanther is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you guys for your updates.
I was stressing over which way to go with this, however it feels like the safest way is to file for the I-485 and then just wait and pray!

I'm not going to stress about it as there is little I can do other then work hard to keep things going here.

Now to try and work out my tax situation.............
Old Feb 28th 2018, 4:09 pm
I don't (often) bite

Originally Posted by Millski
I'm currently going through the same process and have just received notice that my I140 petition for a multinational manager was approved (receipt dated June 9th 2017, Texas service center). I haven't filed for adjustment of status yet and have similar concerns regarding job security, so near and yet so far!!
Way to make me jealous. You filed after me and have your approval first!
Old Feb 28th 2018, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Way to make me jealous. You filed after me and have your approval first!

Sorry about that! Which service center did you file with? Fair play I received the notice about 2 weeks from when the processing times website updated past my receipt date. I damn-near soiled myself when I saw the word 'approved', I was NOT expecting to get through without an RFE!
Old Feb 28th 2018, 5:17 pm
I don't (often) bite

Sorry about that! Which service center did you file with? Fair play I received the notice about 2 weeks from when the processing times website updated past my receipt date. I damn-near soiled myself when I saw the word 'approved', I was NOT expecting to get through without an RFE!
Texas as well. I know the phrase YMMV, and USCIS say the "generally process cases in the order they are received" but I've heard of EB-1C cases being approved from as late as October/November last year, and they had my forms before yours! My receipt date is May 30 2017.

I guess I'm just frustrated with waiting, but I've never been the patient type!
Old Feb 28th 2018, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

We are Texas too and AOS filed mid October

Just waiting on interview date...if we get an interview.
Some are not being called for an interview.
This might be based on receipt date

My understanding interview is now the norm, whereas before it was not.
This means processing times will be increasing

We are now in our 20th week since AOS receipt date
Old Feb 28th 2018, 7:42 pm
I don't (often) bite

Originally Posted by Fred16
We are Texas too and AOS filed mid October

Just waiting on interview date...if we get an interview.
Some are not being called for an interview.
This might be based on receipt date

My understanding interview is now the norm, whereas before it was not.
This means processing times will be increasing

We are now in our 20th week since AOS receipt date
It's based on the receipt date of the I-485. Any I-485's filed on or after March 6 2017, will be called to interview.

It will add to the processing time of the I-485, but shouldn't affect the I-140 processing time too much, if at all.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 2:16 am
I don't (often) bite

I was NOT expecting to get through without an RFE!
Out of curiosity, why not?
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

I had picked up a bit of chatter on the local ex-pat rumour mill that GC applications were being rejected en masse largely due to the downturn in oil & gas. Given the small size of our US operation I thought I'd really have to fight to demonstrate my role is sufficiently managerial, maybe the adjudicating officer took into consideration my overall importance to the business, I've become something of a linchpin!

Last edited by Millski; Mar 2nd 2018 at 8:40 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 8:42 pm
I don't (often) bite

Interesting. I go through that battle with my inner-self every day. Am I sufficiently managerial? But I'm a reporting-line director with a good number of direct reports. The attorney wasn't worried, but that doesn't mean I'm not!
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Interesting. I go through that battle with my inner-self every day. Am I sufficiently managerial? But I'm a reporting-line director with a good number of direct reports. The attorney wasn't worried, but that doesn't mean I'm not!

I absolutely feel your pain! Even though the biggest hurdle is probably out of the way now I'm still a bag of nerves over adjusting status and what could crop up in the next year to pee on my bonfire, although it'll probably be an even longer wait now with this compulsory interview business coming into effect, man I wish I'd pushed harder to file the I-485 concurrently!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.