Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Which jobs provide an easier route to the U.S.?

Which jobs provide an easier route to the U.S.?

Old Jan 14th 2018, 2:43 pm
Banned

newSA is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Which jobs provide an easier route to the U.S.?

Hi there.

I'm currently a student in the UK, nearing completion of my A-Levels in biology, chemistry and mathematics. I originally applied to read medicine at university at the end of this year, but was unsuccessful in this application run for reasons not yet disclosed by the universities.

My question is regarding the careers in demand in the U.S. - those that would give me a slightly easier time when I come to try to immigrate. I've been researching the visa process extensively and it seems highly complicated, but there must be certain jobs that would make it easier.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which jobs provide an easier route to the U.S.?

Why don't you come and study here?
Old Jan 14th 2018, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Marrying a citizen is an easier way
Old Jan 14th 2018, 3:29 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by notaclue
Why don't you come and study here?
I know about the F-1 visa to the OPT if studying in the U.S., but I don't think the way that undergraduate courses work over there would suit me. They are also outrageously expensive, unless I were admitted into a school like Harvard - that's not very likely.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 3:29 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by scot47
I don't know any Americans and I'm not intending to get married just yet!
Old Jan 14th 2018, 3:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Not everyone wants to get married just out of high school and searching for a spouse based on the ability to sponsor you is not kosher is it.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 4:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newSA
I'm currently a student in the UK, nearing completion of my A-Levels in biology, chemistry and mathematics.

My question is regarding the careers in demand in the U.S. - those that would give me a slightly easier time when I come to try to immigrate. I've been researching the visa process extensively and it seems highly complicated, but there must be certain jobs that would make it easier.
Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics is a great start. Study what you are interested in. Get your higher level degrees in the UK, get a job with a company in the UK that has a presence in the USA and after a year of employment, ask for a transfer. Make moving to the USA a 5 to 10 year goal, and work hard towards it.

Rene
Old Jan 14th 2018, 5:23 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics is a great start. Study what you are interested in. Get your higher level degrees in the UK, get a job with a company in the UK that has a presence in the USA and after a year of employment, ask for a transfer. Make moving to the USA a 5 to 10 year goal, and work hard towards it.

Rene
Thank you. It's such a shame that it'll be so long-term. I guess I'll see which opportunities come my way...
Old Jan 14th 2018, 5:34 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there.

I'm currently a student in the UK, nearing completion of my A-Levels in biology, chemistry and mathematics. I originally applied to read medicine at university at the end of this year, but was unsuccessful in this application run for reasons not yet disclosed by the universities.

Thanks in advance.
You really should work towards attaining a career that interests you, don’t try to skew your future towards immigration. The truth is, no one knows what the US immigration scenario will be by the time you have graduated and got some work experience under your belt.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Choosing a career solely for the purpose of an easy path to emigrating is doomed to failure from the start. Any successful career should make you comfortable wherever you end up.

Why the interest anyway? Life here is not necessarily any better and, in many areas is less secure and/or beneficial than the UK or other countries.

At 18, I’m pretty sure it’s hard to be sure of what you want yet. Things seem a lot more idealistic than when you’re a few years older.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 7:42 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

As this thread has several replies I will not delete it .
However newSA you need to contact me regarding your other account.
Thank you.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

OP would do well to look into studying (bio)statistics in the UK, with a view to studying abroad in the US for a semester. Include some programming for maximum options on the job and/or grad school market.

By the way, this advice is not US-immigration-specific. I expect this would be a solid base for starting a career in a variety of countries, given your academic background.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there.

Thanks in advance.
Its always made me smile how the UK bleats on about a lack of medical professionals yet continues to restrict the flow of qualified Dr's by only maintain few exclusive avenues into the profession - talk about protectionism.

If I were you are you really want to be a Dr I would explore studying in the US. MAny many options not all costing $$$$$$
Old Jan 14th 2018, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Its always made me smile how the UK bleats on about a lack of medical professionals yet continues to restrict the flow of qualified Dr's by only maintain few exclusive avenues into the profession - talk about protectionism.

If I were you are you really want to be a Dr I would explore studying in the US. MAny many options not all costing $$$$$$
$$$$?
Old Jan 15th 2018, 5:55 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
$$$$?
Easy, now! $$$$¢

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.