Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Job Offer of a Life Time! But I have convictions

Job Offer of a Life Time! But I have convictions

Old Feb 25th 2017, 9:15 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer of a Life Time! But I have convictions

Originally Posted by jalby1992
It is very rocky now but the employer said the DUI is fine
"we will likely need to undergo a VCU process which will slightly delay the visa process" will the employer need a copy of my ACRO certificate? Anyone know from the employer side what they do on VCU? My attorney said that I just declare my convictions to the embassy myself.

As discussed I declared my drink driving conviction then they cut me off said that may cancel my application then came back and said its okay.

I would have thought they would have asked me to order an ACRO certificate by now? As time is of the essence and it takes like 2 weeks anyway.

After seeing my attorney unless miracles really do happen I was really hoping they would cancel the offer and spare me further embarassment.

If they don't ask for me ACRO certificate I can go to the embassy most likely get torn a new one then share my feedback on here lol.

If we didn't have the spent system in the UK I don't think I would have been in continous employment since school
The "VCU" process you're referring to is the process of adjudicating a waiver of ineligibility. Nothing changes as far as the employer is concerned - the visa application just goes ahead as normal as long as they are happy to continue with it.

You do not have to give them your ACRO certificate unless they specifically ask for it.

If they are still happy to proceed with the visa you should go ahead, let them make the application, submit your paperwork, attend the interview at the consulate and see what happens.

You have nothing to lose.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

jalby1992 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks that is great saves me further embarassment and worry. So hopefully in a few days will be booking my embassy appointment and medical. Still not drinking only drunk 3 weeks ago first time this year to celebrate this offer a bit prematurely but hey. If I get an appointment I will try and give detailed feedback on the appointment for all
Old Feb 25th 2017, 9:42 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks that is great saves me further embarassment and worry. So hopefully in a few days will be booking my embassy appointment and medical. Still not drinking only drunk 3 weeks ago first time this year to celebrate this offer a bit prematurely but hey. If I get an appointment I will try and give detailed feedback on the appointment for all
Good luck!
Old Feb 25th 2017, 9:47 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Still not drinking only drunk 3 weeks ago first time this year to celebrate this offer a bit prematurely

That sounds like a bit of a contradiction . . .
Old Feb 25th 2017, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
That sounds like a bit of a contradiction . . .

Yes that was before someone on here advised me not to drink at all for the medical lol happened to be 2 of my friends birthdays that day too
Old Feb 25th 2017, 9:51 am
Account Closed

Yes that was before someone on here advised me not to drink at all for the medical lol happened to be 2 of my friends birthdays that day too
In all seriousness, you most lilkely won't need a medical for a simple DUI.

If the consulate want to deny you a visa, they can just point to the far more significant issue, which is the CIMT's.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by materialcontroller

If the consulate want to deny you a visa, they can just point to the far more significant issue, which is the CIMT's.

Thanks I didn't know that but will not drink still just incase
Old Feb 25th 2017, 10:51 am
Banned

albanks2542 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by materialcontroller

DUI, drink driving, alcohol, visa ineligibility

According to U.S immigration law firm Gudeon and McFadden based in london you will face a medical for single alcohol related conviction within the last 5 years. Their standpoint is current as of 5 days ago.

If he was to fail a medical based on drinking he would face very a rocky road. A person may have to stop drinking for years on end in their own country as a result because the liver gets worse before it gets better. They should kick the UK off the Visa Waiver Program if they feel that strongly about it because we all drink to excess. They don't have the right to dictate how people in another country live their lives.

Last edited by albanks2542; Feb 25th 2017 at 10:58 am.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by albanks2542

According to U.S immigration law firm Gudeon and McFadden based in london you will face a medical for single alcohol related conviction within the last 5 years. Their standpoint is current as of 5 days ago.

If he was to fail a medical based on drinking he would face very a rocky road. A person may have to stop drinking for years on end in their own country as a result because the liver gets worse before it gets better. They should kick the UK off the Visa Waiver Program if they feel that strongly about it because we all drink to excess. They don't have the right to dictate how people in another country live their lives.
Why should they kick the entire country off VWP for a the minority's inability to manage drinking?

They don't have the right to dictate how people in another country lives their lives, but they damn well have the right to dictate who can enter the US and what constitutes inadmissibility or admissibility.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 11:21 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

No. We do not ALL drink to excess.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 11:24 am
Banned

Originally Posted by tom169
Why should they kick the entire country off VWP for a the minority's inability to manage drinking?

They don't have the right to dictate how people in another country lives their lives, but they damn well have the right to dictate who can enter the US and what constitutes inadmissibility or admissibility.
Indeed they do have the right but what's good for the goose is good for the gander. The majority of brits blow though the unit minimum week in week and out and have been doing so for years on end. A majority would probably fail a medical over drinking so why force the only the so called criminal element to do it. The non criminal element have never been caught. That's the only difference. But they are just as medically unfit aren't they?
Old Feb 25th 2017, 11:38 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
No. We do not ALL drink to excess.
Here is what I drink a couple of duvel a night down the local. 2.81 unit per bottle according to google. I reckon about 35 units to 38 a week medical advice is 21 a week. I am older man. Never been arrested no record and no I would not give that up. Would I fail a medical over that drinking pattern? Unknown.

I am going to create a thread over this so this thread isn't taking up with this question.

Last edited by albanks2542; Feb 25th 2017 at 11:40 am.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed they do have the right but what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Umm... that's not the actual saying - but you're close, so good for you for making the effort!

BTW, most of what you write is gibberish!

Oh, and the web site you quoted... apparently, they don't know that the US Embassy in London has nothing whatsoever to do with visa applications!

Ian
Old Feb 25th 2017, 1:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Albanks2542...I suggest you step away from the immigration forums..
Old Feb 26th 2017, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

From the USCBP website
At this time, driving under the influence, breaking and entering, disorderly conduct and simple assault are not considered crimes that make a person inadmissible to the U.S., although if there are multiple convictions and or other misdemeanors, you could be denied entry.

You are not being denied entry for DUI solely its because you have multiple convictions.
Many Canadians have DUI's and are not refused entry into the USA. Those with multiple convictions are.
A single DUI conviction within the last 10 years makes you INADMISSIBLE into Canada.
You would need to apply for rehabilitation or a Temporary Resident Permit to be admitted into Canada.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...erstay,-waiver

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.