Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

jboi74's Questions on how to immigrate to USA

jboi74's Questions on how to immigrate to USA

Old Feb 29th 2016, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

jboi74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default jboi74's Questions on how to immigrate to USA

hi I know this is probably the wrong forum to be on but does anyone have an idea how i can emigrate to the states. I have been informed that a H1B would be my best way but it seems quite hard to find a company to sponsor myself. Also there is the struggle regarding my 15 yr old daughter who is doing her GCSEs this yr as she also wishes to come with me (she lives with me also). Any help and advise would be appreciated etc. My head is mashed trawling though site after site trying to find some help.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 6:33 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Petition for alien relative form I-130

Originally Posted by jboi74
I know this is probably the wrong forum...
It's the right forum, but you should have started a new thread rather than hijack someone else's. Hopefully a moderator will split the thread and then people can respond properly to you. That said, start here. Read first, digest, read again... and then ask questions. Don't ask questions without reading.

Ian
Old Feb 29th 2016, 7:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: jboi74's Questions on how to immigrate to USA

jboi74,

I created a new thread for your questions.

Rene
Old Feb 29th 2016, 7:12 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

jboi74,

Who informed you that H-1B would be the best way? What is your field and qualifications?

Your daughter's father will need to give his permission for your daughter to move, if or when the time comes.

Rene
Old Feb 29th 2016, 7:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hypothetically, even if you got an H-1b, it is only "temporary" and could see you back in the UK in only three years, or less if you're made redundant.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

jboi74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, I am the father and her mum is fine with her going with me as my girl has wanted to live in the States fro yrs.
I was informed from a site called H1visa jobs I think, never subscribed to it tho as didnt trust it that much.
I have a degree and experience in quantity surveying and estimating, after re-educating my self at a later age!! I also have qualifications in sheetmetal fabrication and welding
Old Feb 29th 2016, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

As stated above, read the Wiki called Pulaski's Ways and see if you would qualify for a visa.

To be honest with you, from the information you've given, I would have to say that the odds of coming to the States as anything more than a visitor are very remote. Really, your best hope would be to meet and marry a USC, but I don't advise that as the ONLY reason to marry!

If the heavens DID align and something came up, I would seriously consider upsetting your daughter's education at 16/17 as it would be at least that before anything was to come about. You risk leaving her in the void and doomed to be a fast food worker or retail assistant for the rest of her life (NTTAWWT).
Old Feb 29th 2016, 8:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... her mum is fine with her going with me as my girl has wanted to live in the States fro yrs.
Great. You will need her written permission if/when this happens.

I was informed from a site called H1visa jobs I think, never subscribed to it tho as didnt trust it that much.
You have good instincts. The "best" visa is not only the one you can get, but the one that also works for your situation... and anyone who suggests otherwise is selling snake oil.

I have a degree and experience in quantity surveying and estimating, after re-educating my self at a later age!! I also have qualifications in sheetmetal fabrication and welding
Generally speaking, there are 3 routes to the US: family-based, employment-based, and investment-based. Having a degree and experience doesn't always lead to a visa - and that's a sad fact of life... but you're leaps and bounds ahead of one young fellow we had on here a week or so ago who had no skills and, quite frankly, couldn't be bothered going to school to get a degree!

Why, exactly, do you want to live/work in the US? What's the motivation other than, of course, your daughter's wishes?

Ian
Old Feb 29th 2016, 8:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I am the father and her mum is fine with her going with me as my girl has wanted to live in the States fro yrs.
Sheet metal work and welding has no value with respect to getting a visa, and IIRC another BE member had quantity surveying qualifications but emigrated to the US based on a marriage visa. He found his qualifications unhelpful in getting work, and he ended up as a long-distance truck driver.

In short, I agree with Guindalf, the prospects of you getting a visa to work in the US are slim at best. .... BTW You realise, don't you, that most jobs that you would hypothetically be qualified for would come with only 10-15 days of leave per year, no sick leave, and probably only six bank holidays? You are likely better off staying in the UK and spending your holidays visiting the US.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 8:46 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

hi I know this is probably the wrong forum to be on but does anyone have an idea how i can emigrate to the states.

It's a massive country. If there was any feasibility via your qualifications, which part of it are you interested in? Are you financially set to fund the expense of a US college education for your daughter?
Old Feb 29th 2016, 8:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

QS might work, lots of Engineering and Construction firms operate globally, get a transfer?
Old Mar 1st 2016, 2:33 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.uscis.gov/eir/visa-guide...b-requirements
Old Mar 1st 2016, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the advice above. Also, 15 years old is not a great age to move to the US. She will have to transition into a different school system, and the work she has done at her school so far may not count towards her GPA, which, in turn, will hinder her college applications. As she is about 3 years away from college you may also be liable for international student fees. If you and she want to stay permanently, you need an employer willing to sponsor you for a green card - otherwise you and she both need to leave after you've maxed out your H1B renewals. To be honest if she loves the US that much I would suggest she focuses on finding an internship or studying for a degree here, which might lead to job opportunities and/or meeting a potential spouse who would sponsor her. She could then sponsor you later on if she naturalized. The Fulbright Program helps students find scholarships and funding to study in the US.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

OP, have you also considered Canada as an option? Might be simpler as there is at least the option of sponsoring yourself.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 8:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Or Australia??