J1 Interview

Old Jun 8th 2016, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Stevens9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default J1 Interview

Hello everyone!

Do previous visas applications (H3 petition denied and H1B not selected) affect the outcome of your J1-trainee visa interview?

I'm planning to bring for the interview the following documents:

-Bank statement showing I have a mortgage in my home country
-Bank statement showing I have a pension scheme in my home country
-Bank statement showing I have savings in my home country
-Car certificate showing I own a car in my home country

-A statement from my pension scheme company here in the UK which I don't intend to leave
-A statement showing I am a chartered engineer in the UK.
-A letter with a promise of a job when my return to the UK.
-A letter from the host company saying that the H1B visa application was an error as it was wrongly advised by the attorney. It was always the intention for me to go there for an 18 months trainings.

Also:

-I have no family/gf/good friends in the US, only some people I met through exchange programs.
-My family never left Europe.
-I went to the US 2 times under the ESTA and I never overstayed (only went there for 2 weeks each time).

I know that the H1B doesn't look good at my case, but like I mentioned before the attorney told the host company that the H1B would let me go there for 18 months and thats why they went for it

What do you think my chances are? Is there anything else I could bring for the interview?

Thanks
Old Jun 8th 2016, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: J1 Interview

Originally Posted by Stevens9
Do previous visas applications (H3 petition denied and H1B not selected) affect the outcome of your J1-trainee visa interview?
If you've ever had a visa denial, yes. Did you ever actually pay for and/or attend a visa interview? Can you please clarify exactly what happened?

What do you think my chances are?
That'll depend on your answer to the above questions.

Ian
Old Jun 8th 2016, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

No Visa denial.

So the host company applied for the H3 Visa but the petition was denied by the USCIS. From what I have been told, the petition was denied because the host company couldn't show that they had conditions to provide an adequate training program, like a proper classroom. The J1-trainee visa is a hands on the job training, so I don't need a classroom, I will be trained by shadowing senior engineers and by attending in-house presentations.

At the same time the company applied for the H1B visa, but my application was not selected on the lottery.

So to answer your question, this will be the first time ever that I am attending an interview at the US embassy.

Thanks for your answer.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 7:45 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... this will be the first time ever that I am attending an interview at the US embassy.
Great - thanks! Given that information, it's unlikely that your prior visa activity will have any negative impact on your current application.

The J1-trainee visa is a hands on the job training, so I don't need a classroom...
So long as you meet the requirements for the J-1 visa, I don't think you'll have a problem.

A letter from the host company saying that the H1B visa application was an error as it was wrongly advised by the attorney.
I wouldn't even bring up the issue of a prior H-3 petition or H-1B petition unless you are specifically asked about it at your interview. Even then, you really don't want to show any paperwork on it. You don't want the officer to be thinking about something that has no relevance whatsoever to your current visa application.

Ian
Old Jun 9th 2016, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your help
Much appreceiated.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

I had the interview this morning and my visa was approved. Waiting now for the passport to be delivered.

What is the current times to process the visa and send the passport?

Thank you again for your help!
Old Jun 15th 2016, 4:11 pm
Account Closed

Usually 3-7 days, although it could take 2 weeks.

Ian
Old Jun 15th 2016, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

I had the interview this morning and my visa was approved. Waiting now for the passport to be delivered.

Thank you again for your help!
You'll see it when you see it! There is no rhyme or reason with DX Courier service. My OH's passport was released from the embassy Friday evening (for delivery Monday) and he still does not have it and probably wont for his flight tomorrow.
A few weeks ago I was in the UK renewing my visa, I spent 3 hours on the phone with DX trying to locate my passport, was it in Northampton, Brent or Heathrow? Nobody could/would tell me. In the end I drove to Brent, North London and picked it up just before my flight. The worst service ever.

They told my OH this morning - "we're not like a real courier service, we're like a Post office!" An insult to the Post office indeed.