Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

J-1 visa reissuance - new visa stamp without going to consulate

J-1 visa reissuance - new visa stamp without going to consulate

Old Dec 16th 2014, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

j1scholar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default J-1 visa reissuance - new visa stamp without going to consulate

I have to get a new J-1 visa but I'm not planning to stay in the UK (or another non-US country) long enough to apply for the visa and wait to get my passport back. I have some upcoming travel for which I need a valid visa stamp, though.

I noticed that the US Embassy in London offers visa reissuance (getting a new visa without coming in for an interview). Has anyone here done this and can share their experience?

It sounds pretty straightforward but some things are not clear to me:

1) You cannot send your documents to the embassy directly. Instead they will be delivered by DX which has many pickup locations around the UK. Obviously, I'm not in the UK so I'm wondering if I can send my documents to DX directly by courier, or do I have to send them to a friend to hand deliver to DX?

2) When you make an appointment and are eligible for visa reissuance, do you get a specific date by which your documents have to arrive or will it simply be processed when it arrives?

3) Can DX send the documents to the US or do I have to get them delivered to a friend who will send them to me?

4) Anything else I should know that's not obvious?
Old Dec 29th 2014, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

j1scholar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: J-1 visa reissuance - new visa stamp without going to consulate

I exchanged some emails with the embassy in London and they said that the info on their web site was unclear and that you have to be in the UK to apply for a visa, even with visa reissuance. They've now clarified their web site to say "Applicants must be in the United Kingdom at the time they submit their application and those applying for a J visa will only qualify for the Visa Reissuance Program if their SEVIS number has not changed."