A J-1 Discussion

Old May 24th 2011, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

kazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nice
Default A J-1 Discussion

Dear Oliviah,

you do not need to bother with such administrative issues. J-1 is THE BEST visa if you want to spent some time in the USA and after that return back home for at least 2 years.

If this would be the case, you should not bother University vs NOT University. The main isuue is that you have the offer for the J-1.

You need to check VERY CAREFULLY if this visa is suitable to you. All other visas have the option for change of the status. Only J-1 can have the greatest disadvantages (but also the greatest advantages)!
Old May 24th 2011, 9:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: J-1 Visa HELP!

Originally Posted by oliviah11
Hi,

I've secured an internship at a top fashion magazine in New York between September-December of this year.

I understand that it's a J-1 visa that I need to complete the internship, but I'm really confused about how I go about getting sponsorship etc. Most sponsors require you to be currently enrolled in University which I'm not (I completed my A Levels last year).

Any general help would be greatly appreciated.
Congratulations on the internship. You need to get to your employer through a 'designated sponsor'. Try this US government site http://j1visa.state.gov/ but understand that you may need to go through a third party DS.

Originally Posted by kazic
Dear Oliviah,

you do not need to bother with such administrative issues. J-1 is THE BEST visa if you want to spent some time in the USA and after that return back home for at least 2 years.

If this would be the case, you should not bother University vs NOT University. The main isuue is that you have the offer for the J-1.

You need to check VERY CAREFULLY if this visa is suitable to you. All other visas have the option for change of the status. Only J-1 can have the greatest disadvantages (but also the greatest advantages)!
I appreciate that you want to help people by posting here, but you are writing a bunch of confusing posts. Most (if not all) non-medical J-1s from the UK *do not have the 2 year HRR*.

Your answers also indicate that you are not reading the posts you're replying to carefully.
Old May 24th 2011, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

kazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nice

Sorry, but it was not obvious from Oliviah' post that she was the UK citizen.

In any case, personally, I consider the J-1 visa sa the "most privileged" US visa for the very special purposes. So, Oliviah, you should be proud to get the J-1 visa.

My hint was that you should get all nercessary information related to that visa. Because, J-1 is a little bit different.

And, you should not be confused by the UK element. J-1 is the US visa and not the UK one.
Old May 24th 2011, 10:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I think, from your join date, that you may have been in this group when it was the usenet group and we did have a more international audience. That link is now broken and as it's BritishExpats.com, most posters are from the UK.
Old May 24th 2011, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but it was not obvious from Oliviah' post that she was the UK citizen.
AFAIK, the UK is the only country that has "A levels"!

Because, J-1 is a little bit different.
A little bit different from what?

And, you should not be confused by the UK element.
What makes you think she's confused?

J-1 is the US visa and not the UK one.
I'm willing to bet that she knows this... so I'm not sure why you're stating the obvious.

Ian
Old May 24th 2011, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

1. Completing "A-levels" is not a proof of the UK citizenship. There are many foreigners living in the UK and getting "A-levels".

2. J-1 is little bit different from other visas. First question should be "why did she/he got assigned J-1 and not F-1 or any other visa?"

3. J-1 i susually associated with 2 years living outside the US. If UK has the special agreement to void it, the essence of J-1 as valid for other countries should not be forgotten. It counts the general rule for J-1, and not the possible exception for the UK.

Last edited by kazic; May 24th 2011 at 11:07 pm.
Old May 24th 2011, 11:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

1. Completing "A-levels" is not a proof of the UK citizenship.
This has nothing whatsoever to do with proving UK citizenship. Don't be an idiot.

First question should be "why did she/he got assigned J-1 and not F-1 or any other visa?"
I'm sorry, but this is just an idiotic question... and the fact that you even bothered to ask it speaks volumes about how much you don't understand.

Ian
Old May 24th 2011, 11:08 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

2. J-1 is little bit different from other visas. First question should be "why did she/he got assigned J-1 and not F-1 or any other visa?"
Why in the world would someone get an F-1 to do an internship for a commercial enterprise? F-1 is for academic study.

BTW, did you happen to stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night?
Old May 24th 2011, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Uh, uh, uhh.... it looks like that UK citizens are very intolerable...

Many years ago, I got the J-1 and my best friend got F-1..... for the same purpose. Well, the outcome of our lives have been determined by the differences of those visas...

I just wanted to warn the poster that J-1 is little bit different.... Nothing more - nothing less. This differences can determine someones life.

I hope this indication would help her/him because it is based on 20 year experience (based upon the consequences of those visas). It is only pitty that UK citizens get very upset every time they hear different oppinion.
Old May 24th 2011, 11:24 pm

Uh, uh, uhh.... it looks like that UK citizens are very intolerable...

Many years ago, I got the J-1 and my best friend got F-1..... for the same purpose. Well, the outcome of our lives have been determined by the differences of those visas...

I just wanted to warn the poster that J-1 is little bit different.... Nothing more - nothing less. This differences can determine someones life.

I hope this indication would help her/him because it is based on 20 year experience (based upon the consequences of those visas). It is only pitty that UK citizens get very upset every time they hear different oppinion.
kazic, I'm American (and Canadian) and you're driving me insane, so it's not a British thing.

The OP wants to know how she goes about getting a J-1 visa for her JOB. Since you don't know anything about that, leave the thread ALONE.
Old May 24th 2011, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

3. J-1 i susually associated with 2 years living outside the US. If UK has the special agreement to void it, the essence of J-1 as valid for other countries should not be forgotten. It counts the general rule for J-1, and not the possible exception for the UK.
I had a J-1, my sister had a J-1, several friends of mine had a J-1, none of us had the 2 year home residency requirement attached.
Old May 24th 2011, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about 'many years ago' but I can't see how you could use an F-1 and a J-1 for the same thing now.
Old May 24th 2011, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, I said USUALLY associated with 2 years living outside USA....

But, I am not aware of F-1 having similar requirement... So, there are differencies...

Yes, we were both doing the very same thing with J-1 and F-1. But, J-1 could get the spose with work permits associoated with J-2. This was not possible for the spose F-2.... Yes, it was many years ago. But, I do not believe that those differences have been diminished. Otherwise, there would not be need for different types of visas J-1 vs F-1 (not to mention dozen of other visas)/
Old May 25th 2011, 1:01 am
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

But, I am not aware of F-1 having similar requirement... So, there are differencies...

Yes, we were both doing the very same thing with J-1 and F-1. But, J-1 could get the spose with work permits associoated with J-2. This was not possible for the spose F-2.... Yes, it was many years ago. But, I do not believe that those differences have been diminished. Otherwise, there would not be need for different types of visas J-1 vs F-1 (not to mention dozen of other visas)/
You're still missing the point. ALthough I can't see the original post, but it sounded like a J-1 visa was needed for internship purpose. A F-1 cannot be used for this purpose, so that's not even an option.

There are very specific types of J-1 that have the 2-year home residence requirements. Even with the requirement, there are ways to waive the requirement, even for J-1 for medical residency trainings.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/ty...s_1267.html#15
Old May 25th 2011, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As said, it's quite specific who has the 2 year home residence requirement. Since the UK isn't on the "skills list" so that rules out the 2 year home residence for people who live in the UK. Since the original poster had an offer from a fashion mag and that is neither government funded or medical training, that rules out the other cases where a 2 year home residency would be required.

I still fail to see how one person could use a J-1 and another use an F-1 for the same thing since one has very limited work authorization and the other has very limited study authorization. Spouses being able to work or not work is kind of irrelevant, you need the correct visa for the purpose you are going to use it for. A J-1 visa is a cultural exchange visa, or to get specialized medical/business training. An F-1 is a student visa. I'm curious what you and your friend were doing that both visas worked and how the outcome of your lives were determined by the visa you had.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.