Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Interview in 2 days urgent advice needed

Interview in 2 days urgent advice needed

Old Oct 11th 2009, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

miami078 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interview in 2 days urgent advice needed

Dear all

we are finally at the last leg of this whole process, all paperwork in order...well so I thought. I had left the affadavit of support for my husband to complete with his parents a few months ago and have only just gone through this myself today to check everything is in order to find I ave a query!!
We are applying for immigrant visa based on marriage submitted through the london embassy.

My husband has been a student in the UK for the last 5/6 years and hasn't earned anything during these years. Therefore his dad will be the joint sponsor ( we will be using his income as the only source according to the paperwork). On my husbands I-184 form he has not ticked the box to state he has filed any tax returns. I understand he hasn't earned any money but does this mean he didn't have to file any returns? Also the step by step instructions ask that if no tax returns had been filed written explanation must be submitted as to why and the appropiate seciton found on the IRS website and refered to. I have found a section which states if under a certain amount no tax return need be submitted and I have printed that of. However I have also read on a few of the posts here that ) income doesnt necessarily mean you shouldnt submit tax returns so this seciton on the website may not be relevant to refer to.

I am wondering if somebody can just offer some advice re this? We have the tax return and appropiate evidence for his fathers form so I think we are ok on that level I am just concerned they will have expected my husband to file tax returns despite 0 income.

Best wishes

mia
Old Oct 11th 2009, 9:08 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview in 2 days urgent advice needed

Hi Mia,

A US citizen living overseas is expected to file a tax return each year. However, your husband has had good reason not to file a return, since he did not earn enough income to warrant filing one. Since you have a joint sponsor with all the relevent documents from him, I think you'll be fine as you are. Have hubby write a statement saying he was a student from xx year to xx year and had zero income, and therefore did not need to file tax returns.

Rene
Old Oct 11th 2009, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

miami078 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Interview in 2 days urgent advice needed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Mia,

A US citizen living overseas is expected to file a tax return each year. However, your husband has had good reason not to file a return, since he did not earn enough income to warrant filing one. Since you have a joint sponsor with all the relevent documents from him, I think you'll be fine as you are. Have hubby write a statement saying he was a student from xx year to xx year and had zero income, and therefore did not need to file tax returns.

Rene
Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly I feel relieved after reading your reply. I will have him print of a letter today ready for the interview tuesday!!

Thank you again

Best wishes

Mia