Information on Sponsorship/visa's

Old Jun 23rd 2017, 3:59 am
Just Joined

R.E.Rose. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Information on Sponsorship/visa's

Hi,

First time posting here.

I'm 25 and looking to move to Orlando in the next year (finally made the decision) I will have a total of £25,000 in savings. I have been to going to Orlando and Florida nearly every year since the age of 5 and would love to make a life out there.

I work in administration in sales and have over 6 years experience, my understanding and research means I would have to have a company sponsor me to work there, any advice on that front? Would it be only large companies that can do this or can small companies or business (like bars) also sponsor?

We have close family friends (not immediate family) who are US citizens, are they able to sponsor someone to live in the US? Also if you can prove you can live with them for 6 months does that work in your favour?

Also any information on seasonal work and how long you are allowed to stay after (can you search for work while doing seasonal work etc).

Alot of questions sorry! Just want to know if this is even achievable or if it's a pipe dream and most likely never going to happen.

Thanks,
Rachel
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 5:37 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Information on Sponsorship/visa's

Originally Posted by R.E.Rose.
First time posting here.
Welcome to BE.

I work in administration in sales and have over 6 years experience...
Do you have a degree?

...my understanding and research means I would have to have a company sponsor me to work there, any advice on that front?
If don't have a degree, get one, then get lots of experience in that field, and then network within that field, in hopes of getting a US company to sponsor you. Or, work for a UK company that has offices in the USA and after a year of employment, ask for a transfer to the USA. This is probably not going to happen soon for you, but if you make it a 5 to 10 year plan it could work out.

Would it be only large companies that can do this or can small companies or business (like bars) also sponsor?
It's not the size of the company that matters. What matters is that the position require a degree, and that you have a degree in that field...AND experience...AND be better at that job than a US Citizen who already is inside the USA and doesn't need an employer to spend $$$ on a work visa. As you can probably tell, bar work, sales, and general admin positions don't qualify for a work visa.

We have close family friends (not immediate family) who are US citizens, are they able to sponsor someone to live in the US?
No.

Also if you can prove you can live with them for 6 months does that work in your favour?
No.

Also any information on seasonal work and how long you are allowed to stay after (can you search for work while doing seasonal work etc).
Seasonal work is something like working at a ski resort in winter, for example. You are not allowed to stay after. When the job ends, so does your right to stay in the USA. You can return to visit using the VWP, though, as usual.

Just want to know if this is even achievable or if it's a pipe dream and most likely never going to happen.
It's achievable if you make it a long-term goal and work hard towards it. Degree, experience, and be at the top of your field.

I'm not sure if you want to return to school at age 25, but studying in the USA might be an option as well, sounds like you might be able to afford tuition.

Rene
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 6:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

A lot of questions sorry! Just want to know if this is even achievable or if it's a pipe dream and most likely never going to happen.

Thanks,
Rachel
US Boyfriend?
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
US Boyfriend?
Nope, would be on my own completely. Although everyone I know has quickly got married, they only way they could stay I guess.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Welcome to BE.

Do you have a degree?

If don't have a degree, get one, then get lots of experience in that field, and then network within that field, in hopes of getting a US company to sponsor you. Or, work for a UK company that has offices in the USA and after a year of employment, ask for a transfer to the USA. This is probably not going to happen soon for you, but if you make it a 5 to 10 year plan it could work out.

It's not the size of the company that matters. What matters is that the position require a degree, and that you have a degree in that field...AND experience...AND be better at that job than a US Citizen who already is inside the USA and doesn't need an employer to spend $$$ on a work visa. As you can probably tell, bar work, sales, and general admin positions don't qualify for a work visa.

No.

No.

Seasonal work is something like working at a ski resort in winter, for example. You are not allowed to stay after. When the job ends, so does your right to stay in the USA. You can return to visit using the VWP, though, as usual.

It's achievable if you make it a long-term goal and work hard towards it. Degree, experience, and be at the top of your field.

I'm not sure if you want to return to school at age 25, but studying in the USA might be an option as well, sounds like you might be able to afford tuition.

Rene

Hi Renee,

Thank you for replying.

I'm guessing without a degree it's impossible to get sponsored work, don't fancy 3 years on a degree and being in crazy debt. Are you allowed to work whilst studying in the US?

Possible season job might be the only way I can work out there for a while, or the lottery...
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 11:58 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Are you allowed to work whilst studying in the US?
Under very limited circumstances, yes - but generally only on campus. If you're interested, I suggest you research the F-1 visa.

Just want to know if this is even achievable or if it's a pipe dream and most likely never going to happen.
As Rene says, if you make this a long-term goal (think 5-10 years), it's quite doable. Note that US immigration has no interest in either your decisions or what you want... so you will not be moving to Orlando next year. It's best that you accept that now.

Generally speaking, there are 3 routes to the US: family, employment, and investment. From what you've written so far, you don't have a path to the US as anything other than a visitor. I don't mean to sound harsh, but that is the reality of your situation.

Ian
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Under very limited circumstances, yes - but generally only on campus. If you're interested, I suggest you research the F-1 visa.

As Rene says, if you make this a long-term goal (think 5-10 years), it's quite doable. Note that US immigration has no interest in either your decisions or what you want... so you will not be moving to Orlando next year. It's best that you accept that now.

Generally speaking, there are 3 routes to the US: family, employment, and investment. From what you've written so far, you don't have a path to the US as anything other than a visitor. I don't mean to sound harsh, but that is the reality of your situation.

Ian
No please don't worry it's not harsh. I completely understand, have to face the truth. Wouldnt mind seasonal work for a year, see if is somewhere I would want to live one day.

Very much appreciate your advice.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 12:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Possible season job might be the only way I can work out there for a while, or the lottery...
Do you qualify for the diversity lottery? In which country were you born?

Wouldnt mind seasonal work for a year, see if is somewhere I would want to live one day.
Seasonal work wouldn't keep you in the USA a whole year. Probably 3 - 4 months, i.e. a Season.

Rene
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

No please don't worry it's not harsh.
This is probably the nicest thing anyone has said to me!

Ian
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Do you qualify for the diversity lottery? In which country were you born?

Seasonal work wouldn't keep you in the USA a whole year. Probably 3 - 4 months, i.e. a Season.

Rene
I guess that makes sense. As I'm born in the UK I don't have much chance with a lottery. Such a shame. I've heard of a H2B visa? No degree but seasonal work for a summer maybe longer?
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 12:45 pm

No, you don't qualify for the diversity lottery.

Yes, H1B is the seasonal one. I guess it depends on the job how long you can stay and work.

Good luck.

Rene
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
This is probably the nicest thing anyone has said to me!

Ian
Your very welcome, after reading post after post I completely understand the limitation, such a shame. Hopefully one day I can make a life out there!
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Yes, H1B is the seasonal one. I guess it depends on the job how long you can stay and work.

Good luck.

Rene
Thank you Rene for all your advice. Very much appreciated!
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck.

Rene
H2a and H2b are seasonal, most people I have met have been on J1's.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

How nice to see a poster accepting the answers, especially as they do not meet her hopes! An example to the many who get irate when the answers don't match what they want to hear. Good Luck R E Rose and I hope you make it eventually.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.