Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

I'm looking for help getting in the US to live and work

I'm looking for help getting in the US to live and work

Old May 9th 2016, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Jo1985 has a reputation beyond reputeJo1985 has a reputation beyond reputeJo1985 has a reputation beyond reputeJo1985 has a reputation beyond reputeJo1985 has a reputation beyond reputeJo1985 has a reputation beyond reputeJo1985 has a reputation beyond reputeJo1985 has a reputation beyond reputeJo1985 has a reputation beyond reputeJo1985 has a reputation beyond reputeJo1985 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm looking for help getting in the US to live and work

Thanks guys for all ur help,I'm trying to sort some type of training programme out over in the states, what I don't really understand is why can they offer so much for 18-30 but not anyone over that. As I have a feeling that would be my best way in other than seasonal work x
Old May 9th 2016, 6:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are lots of educational opportunities, not aware of things focussed with specific age ranges.
Old May 9th 2016, 6:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

What you need to do is contact the agency/institution/company doing the training, and speak directly to them to find out if they'll take you on, and what visa they will petition you for.

Can you give us a more clear example of what training program you're interested in? Be specific.

Rene
Old May 9th 2016, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Jo1985 has a reputation beyond reputeJo1985 has a reputation beyond reputeJo1985 has a reputation beyond reputeJo1985 has a reputation beyond reputeJo1985 has a reputation beyond reputeJo1985 has a reputation beyond reputeJo1985 has a reputation beyond reputeJo1985 has a reputation beyond reputeJo1985 has a reputation beyond reputeJo1985 has a reputation beyond reputeJo1985 has a reputation beyond repute

Business administration
Hospitality maybe hotels
Event management
I would like to work children and adults so possibly something in the care. There are my main things I would like to do and learn about more. Where I'm from I'm not able to do those type things as you need to be working in that type area to gain the qualification. But if there was something like that in states it would great I could work and gain the qualification too.
Old May 9th 2016, 7:05 pm
Account Closed

You could study, F1 visa, but not work in those areas and those are not areas likely to result in a work visa.
Old May 9th 2016, 7:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jo1985
Business administration
Hospitality maybe hotels
Event management
I would like to work children and adults so possibly something in the care. There are my main things I would like to do and learn about more. Where I'm from I'm not able to do those type things as you need to be working in that type area to gain the qualification. But if there was something like that in states it would great I could work and gain the qualification too.
OK, those are several different fields, but what I meant was, specifically what training program? You can't really rock up to a Healthcare institute or Hotel/Resort with no prior experience and ask them to train you, especially when you're also asking them to sponsor a visa for you.

Sounds like you might want to do more research on specific training programs that are available.

I'm thinking perhaps an F1 student visa is what you want, but work options are limited.

Rene
Old May 9th 2016, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Cheers guys, Im feeling like crap now as I have probably wasted my chances although you have given me lots of info, I do have some minor experience in the fields I want to do but lack the qualifications, I thought this might be the case but there used to be things in place in the UK where people would help you look the types of things
Old May 9th 2016, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Get a job with an international hotel group in the UK, do well, get your qualification through them, who knows what could happen. Not sure you'd end up in the US.

You need to focus on a career goal and work towards that and who knows where it may take you. I started off in France, then other places in Europe, then SE Asia, Caribbean and then .. the US. I didn't have a country to get to, was just open to opportunities.

What things used to be in place in the UK to help you look for these things? What are the things?
Old May 9th 2016, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

All of those things you can do in the UK.

And work.
Old May 9th 2016, 11:00 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 31 years old and looking to start a new life in america...
You don't have to answer if you don't want to... but what is so bad about your life as it is currently, that you want to start a new one in the US?

Ian
Old May 9th 2016, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

My life is great. Since leaving college 10 years ago I had some problems in relationships and gaining employment in doing so I put on alot of weight 10 years ago I was 12St and since then it went up to 23St but 6 months ago I had a life changing event I had weight loss surgery, and now I have lost 6St 8lbs in the last 6 months I have decided to do what I wanted to do 10 years ago and that's travel around America, and hopefully settle down there
Old May 9th 2016, 11:34 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

My life is great. Since leaving college 10 years ago I had some problems in relationships and gaining employment in doing so I put on alot of weight 10 years ago I was 12St and since then it went up to 23St but 6 months ago I had a life changing event I had weight loss surgery, and now I have lost 6St 8lbs in the last 6 months I have decided to do what I wanted to do 10 years ago and that's travel around America, and hopefully settle down there
Congrats on the weight loss. However, it is not going to be any easier to find employment in the US than it is in the UK. Your best option is to improve your job prospects with further education in the UK, look for a job with a multi-national with a US presence, and work towards putting yourself in a position to be transferred. I'm the meantime you can vacation in the US (you get far more vacation in the UK than folks do here!) Good luck.
Old May 9th 2016, 11:35 pm
Account Closed

Look at as a 10 year project.
Old May 10th 2016, 2:46 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The regulations define a "specialty occupation" as requiring theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge in a field of human endeavor including but not limited to biotechnology, chemistry, architecture, engineering, mathematics, physical sciences, social sciences, medicine and health, education, law, accounting, business specialties, theology, and the arts, and requiring the attainment of a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent as a minimum
Old May 10th 2016, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers guys, Im feeling like crap now as I have probably wasted my chances although you have given me lots of info, I do have some minor experience in the fields I want to do but lack the qualifications, I thought this might be the case but there used to be things in place in the UK where people would help you look the types of things
If you want to work on a ranch or farm, they employ lots of foreign workers. Google farm and ranch jobs in the US and contact the job openings. It's not unusual to see foreign workers in American farms and ranches. That is one job category that might get you employed in the States.