Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

IEC Canada 'popping' in and out of the US?

IEC Canada 'popping' in and out of the US?

Old Apr 14th 2015, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ascot Berks(06.04) to Cronulla nr Sydney back to Ascot (04.05)
Rosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really nice
Default IEC Canada 'popping' in and out of the US?

Hi
My son got his IEC and will be living and working in Canada. He has friends and family in the US and wants to 'pop in and out' if possible throughout his stay (2 yrs) But is this possible?
  • If he arrives in Canada and goes straight to the US. Does his US visa- clock start ticking then and finishes after 90 days...
  • Or can he return to Canada for a certain amount of time and what would this take for the 'clock' to re-start....If ever?
  • Or does he have to return to his country of origin...which is the UK?

He has a return flight from UK-Canada-UK so has proof that he will return. I am hoping that if he went back to the US for a weekend (say 6months after the original arrival to Canada,) the US officials would let him back to Canada as he would have a valid IEC Canada visa.
Thanks as always for your help and advice!
Old Apr 14th 2015, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

nudda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IEC Canada 'popping' in and out of the US?

Shouldnt this be in a Canadian forum?
Old Apr 14th 2015, 12:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nudda
Shouldnt this be in a Canadian forum?
Why? The post deals with travel to the US, not travel to Canada.

Originally Posted by Rosie n family
But is this possible?
Yes.

If he arrives in Canada and goes straight to the US. Does his US visa- clock start ticking then and finishes after 90 days...

Or can he return to Canada for a certain amount of time and what would this take for the 'clock' to re-start....If ever?
He will be allowed 90 days at a time. The day he enters the US, he will get an electronic I-94 and the 90-day clock begins. As I understand it, if he returns to Canada and travels back to the US within that initial 90-day period, he will be allowed to remain in the US only to the expiry date of that initial I-94. If he travels to the US after the initial I-94 expires, he will receive a new I-94 and the 90-day clock starts over.

Either way, assuming no other issues, he should be allowed to travel back and forth with general ease.

I am hoping that if he went back to the US for a weekend (say 6months after the original arrival to Canada,) the US officials would let him back to Canada as he would have a valid IEC Canada visa.
As he will be living/working in Canada, I expect he'll have no issues travelling back and forth.

Ian
Old Apr 14th 2015, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ascot Berks(06.04) to Cronulla nr Sydney back to Ascot (04.05)
Rosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really nice

That sounds great... I am surprised (pleasantly)

So (if money was no object...) can people do 90 days return home then pop back again for another 90 days? i.e theres no upper limit that you can spend in the county as long as you exit?
Thanks so much
Old Apr 14th 2015, 3:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a good idea to do back to back 90 day trips, as it then looks like you're trying to live in the USA as a visitor, which is not allowed. Lengthy visits too close together increase the chances of getting refused entry at the POE.

Rene
Old Apr 14th 2015, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

nudda is an unknown quantity at this point

oops I read the OP's post incorrectly. Apologies!
Old Apr 14th 2015, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds great... I am surprised (pleasantly)

So (if money was no object...) can people do 90 days return home then pop back again for another 90 days? i.e theres no upper limit that you can spend in the county as long as you exit?
Thanks so much
It doesn't work that way. Being admitted once doesn't necessarily mean you'll be admitted again. Each visit is judged on its own merits. Should be no problem on the first visit but, with each subsequent visit, the US immigration officers will have more and more history to evaluate for suspicious patterns. For example, if you're spending more time in the US than out of it, you are definitely going to attract attention and will likely be refused entry eventually.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 11:50 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

• If he arrives in Canada and goes straight to the US. Does his US visa- clock start ticking then and finishes after 90 days...
  • Or can he return to Canada for a certain amount of time and what would this take for the 'clock' to re-start....If ever?
  • Or does he have to return to his country of origin...which is the UK?
If you visited the US from Europe, then leaving to Canada wouldn't count as leaving for purposes of the VWP, but as he has status in Canada, it does for him.

The only real trick to it is having proof with him that he resides in Canada as CBP sometimes check for that. There's no requirement to leave the continent.