I would like to move to the US.

Old Sep 14th 2017, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

callumosborn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I would like to move to the US.

I would like to start researching if it would be possible for me to move to the US. I was hoping people here could provide me with much needed information and just where to start.

A bit of background about me. My girlfriend and I got together whilst I was studying for a year abroad in Germany and she was an Au Pair. I have returned to England to complete my final year of university and she has returned to the US (she lives in the LA county area in California). ​We would just like to explore if it is even feasible for me to move to the US at the end of university.

I have a uncle and auntie who live in Michigan, US and have asked them for advice but I would like to get as much advice as possible.

I guess my question is how can I get started in this process?

If anyone needs anymore information about me to give better advice. I would be more than ready to reply.

Thanks,
Callum
Old Sep 14th 2017, 7:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I would like to move to the US.

Hi Callum, welcome to BE!

Start here for information about all alternatives: Pulaski Simplified, and here: Pulaski's Ways, but I will warn you up front, most of them do not apply to your situation

Based on the little you have posted, I suspect that your list of realistic/ achievable visa options to live and work in the US begins and ends with "marriage to your girlfriend".
Old Sep 14th 2017, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Pulaski has hit the nail on the head and his guides are very useful.

Best of luck and Welcome!
Old Sep 14th 2017, 7:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

really depends on where you want to get married, K1 or CR1.

Hopefully a friendly Mod will move this to the right forum.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Another option you MIGHT explore is further study in the USA, specifically in LA....Your Aunt and uncle might make sponsors for that.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Another option you MIGHT explore is further study in the USA, specifically in LA....Your Aunt and uncle might make sponsors for that.
Not forgetting if the relatives are in MI there are some excellent higher ed institutions there. Acceptance will probably be easier. Cost of living drastically cheaper...
Old Sep 14th 2017, 8:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Callum, welcome to BE.

Just to make sure, your girlfriend is a US citizen, right?

The main question is, are you and your girlfriend ready for marriage? If so, you have 2 very easy, clear paths to the USA via marriage.

If you're not ready for marriage, your options are severely limited, most likely chance would be an F-1 visa to continue studying in the USA.

What is your field of study currently?

Rene