Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

I have no idea what I'm doing...help!

I have no idea what I'm doing...help!

Old Jan 14th 2018, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Joxall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I have no idea what I'm doing...help!

Firstly I have read the various stickies but wasn't able to find a clear solution to my situation so hopefully someone here can help me out.

My situation:
I'm 24 and from the UK where I work and live. My girlfriend is in the US. I've been back and forth to see here on the ESTA visa but I want to live and work there now. I don't have any criminal record or anything that would otherwise prevent me from moving there. I don't have any family ties that could get me a visa. I did 2 years at uni but never completed my course so that's the H1 out of contention? My girlfriend's uncle owns a small electric company and has said he will take me on and that I can use his job offer as part of my visa application. However I'm unsure how this works.

I'm just looking for advice really as I'm unsure what my options are. The paperwork aspect seems quite overwhelming so if someone could asses my situation and advise which forms I need then that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old Jan 14th 2018, 8:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have no idea what I'm doing...help!

Hi, and welcome to BE.

If you can give people more info about the job you've been offered and what you currently do, I'm sure the good folks here will be able to let you know if there is any employment based visa that fits.

Is your gf's uncle prepared to actually sponsor your visa i.e. do the application & pay $5-10k in fees to bring you over? You're asking about forms etc, but you don't do that, the employer does

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 14th 2018 at 8:52 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Hi and thanks. I work in sales at the moment and the job I've been offered would be as an electrician. He said he'll train me from scratch and then I'd take my exam over there in order to be qualified.
No, he won't pay, I'll have to fund myself. As far as I'm aware most visas need you to supply evidence of a firm job offer, which he would be doing in this case
Old Jan 14th 2018, 8:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, ok. I don't think that's going to work then (even a qualified electrician wouldn't be eligible for an employment based visa, plus the employer has to apply for it, it's not something you can do yourself), but those in the know will no doubt be along shortly.

Is marriage an option?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 14th 2018 at 9:18 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

As it stands marriage is your only realistic shot at moving to the US.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, the only way forward with the info you've supplied is marriage. The job offer and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee - it's not going to work, especially if her uncle won't even apply (which would fail anyway).

(Oh, and BTW, ESTA is a visa waiver, not a visa in its own right).
Old Jan 14th 2018, 10:25 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

As you will soon discover, marriage is by far the easiest way into the USA. You're half-way there. You haven't mentioned marriage but if you're wanting to live here with her I'm assuming the relationship is serious and you see a future together. It really is your only viable option.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

I concur with all responses, seriously think about marriage, because even going back and finishing your degree, so that you could potentially get an H-1B, is something that literally depends on luck (H-1Bs are capped and thus subject to lottery), plus all that gets you is a 3 year nonimmigrant visa that if Trump gets his way, may not even exist by the time you graduate.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 12:59 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joxall
Firstly I have read the various stickies but wasn't able to find a clear solution to my situation so hopefully someone here can help me out.

My situation:
I'm 24 and from the UK where I work and live. My girlfriend is in the US. I've been back and forth to see here on the ESTA visa but I want to live and work there now. I don't have any criminal record or anything that would otherwise prevent me from moving there. I don't have any family ties that could get me a visa. I did 2 years at uni but never completed my course so that's the H1 out of contention? My girlfriend's uncle owns a small electric company and has said he will take me on and that I can use his job offer as part of my visa application. However I'm unsure how this works.

I'm just looking for advice really as I'm unsure what my options are. The paperwork aspect seems quite overwhelming so if someone could asses my situation and advise which forms I need then that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Is your girlfriend a US Citizen? If so, marry her. The "paperwork" is fairly straight forward.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

Marriage. No other realistic option.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your help everyone. Marriage is an option so I guess that’s the route I’ll have to take!
Old Jan 15th 2018, 8:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Marriage all the way, K1 or CR1.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 1:12 am
Just Joined

CR1 is only $1200 too? This is a no brainer
Old Jan 16th 2018, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Please note, we do NOT recommend or condone the approach to getting a green card as marriage! Only if there is a good relationship that is headed that way.

Any attempt to marry just to obtain a GC is fraud and, while it has a chance that it may work, runs the risk of the immigrant being deported and potentially banned for life!
Old Jan 16th 2018, 5:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

He already has a US GF.