Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

B2 Visa & Waiver of Ineligibility Process Advice

B2 Visa & Waiver of Ineligibility Process Advice

Old Oct 14th 2017, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Ben2017 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile B2 Visa & Waiver of Ineligibility Process Advice

Hello everyone,

I've read through so much helpful advice on here; I wonder if I could run something by you guys?

I've never been to the US before. The company I work for has an office in Austin, and I now need to visit on a business trip of 1-3 months.

In 2011, I received a police caution for possession of a class A drug. I understand this prevents me from going through the ETSA process, and that I have to apply to the embassy for a B-1 visa (access up to 6 months), which will initially be denied and (hopefully) referred to DHS a Waiver of Ineligibility.

I can't afford to take advice from an immigration lawyer, so I would like to make sure I don't mess anything up in the process! As I understand, this involves:
- Applying for an APCO Police Certificate
- Submitting the DS160 form online
- Submitting the VCU1 form online
- Pay $160 application fee (I'm not sure where/when/how this must be paid)
- Attending an interview at the US Embassy in London (with passport, bank statements, payslips, letter from employer, and any other documentation that could potentially be relevant to the interview)

Would anyone with experience of this process be able to offer me any advice? Am I missing anything here?

Many thanks in advance!
Ben
Old Oct 14th 2017, 1:45 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 Visa & Waiver of Ineligibility Process Advice

Welcome to BE. Here is a whole ongoing thread related to your topic, which may be of interest:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/us-im...13051/page253/
Old Oct 14th 2017, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Thank you! And thanks for the link, I must have about 15 BE threads bookmarked for info!
Old Oct 14th 2017, 1:52 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben2017
Thank you! And thanks for the link, I must have about 15 BE threads bookmarked for info!

Good for you! I think you'll find that one is the mother lode.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Good for you! I think you'll find that one is the mother lode.
I've just realised that one is 253 pages - thanks!
Old Oct 14th 2017, 2:41 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any advice, except to say that you seem to expecting to be referred for a waiver. I'm not so sure. You have a VERY recent drug conviction (and a caution after 2008 IS a conviction, just FYI) and the US takes a very dim view of such things - especially class A.

If you were looking for an immigrant visa and had this conviction, you'd be SOL. Forever.

Out of interest, is your employer aware of the conviction?
Old Oct 14th 2017, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
If you were looking for an immigrant visa and had this conviction, you'd be SOL. Forever.
I read this somewhere on BE. Hadn't considered moving to the US permanently before but sad nonetheless.

My employer is aware of the caution yes. That's worrying I have to say. Do you think they will deny me entry completely? To put it into context I'm 28. I received the caution whilst being a total prat at university...
Old Oct 14th 2017, 3:04 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I read this somewhere on BE. Hadn't considered moving to the US permanently before but sad nonetheless.

My employer is aware of the caution yes. That's worrying I have to say. Do you think they will deny me entry completely? To put it into context I'm 28. I received the caution whilst being a total prat at university...
I can't say for certain what they will do, if might come down to getting the right Officer on the right day. They have total discretion to recommend or not, and there's nothing you can do to appeal it. Do I think there is a chance that you might receive an outright denial? Yes I do. But if you don't apply then you certainly won't get a visa!

Let us know how it goes!
Old Oct 14th 2017, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

That's a long business trip - 1 to 3 months.

Most business trips for meetings etc last a few weeks at most.

Are you actually working for that period?
Old Oct 14th 2017, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
That's a long business trip - 1 to 3 months.

Most business trips for meetings etc last a few weeks at most.

Are you actually working for that period?
I will be working the whole time yes. I work for a consultancy. I work with a US-based client on its UK operations, and on the basis of the work we've done in the UK, my company has just won the client's US business. I would be working in the US office to bring our US team up-to-speed. This could take a month, or it could take three. I doubt it would be any longer than that.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
I can't say for certain what they will do, if might come down to getting the right Officer on the right day. They have total discretion to recommend or not, and there's nothing you can do to appeal it. Do I think there is a chance that you might receive an outright denial? Yes I do. But if you don't apply then you certainly won't get a visa!

Let us know how it goes!
I'll be in my sharpest suit and completely (and honestly) repentant. Hopefully I can appeal to the officer's good nature! I'll keep you posted - thanks for your advice
Old Oct 14th 2017, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be in my sharpest suit and completely (and honestly) repentant. Hopefully I can appeal to the officer's good nature! I'll keep you posted - thanks for your advice
My husband is going through a similar process, a few different people (including an immigration lawyer) have told us that Belfast consulate is more favourable (and quicker) than London embassy....just a thought
Old Oct 14th 2017, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
My husband is going through a similar process, a few different people (including an immigration lawyer) have told us that Belfast consulate is more favourable (and quicker) than London embassy....just a thought
Thanks for the advice! By quicker do you mean for the whole process or to get an interview etc..? How are things going for your husband?
Old Oct 14th 2017, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice! By quicker do you mean for the whole process or to get an interview etc..? How are things going for your husband?
I have been told the whole process 'can' be quicker at Belfast, but there is no rhyme or reason apparently to waiver wait times. He hasn't had his interview yet.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
I have been told the whole process 'can' be quicker at Belfast, but there is no rhyme or reason apparently to waiver wait times. He hasn't had his interview yet.
Has he applied to do it in London then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.