I-485 in CA but moving to Miami

Old Sep 5th 2017, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Ronnie2406 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-485 in CA but moving to Miami

Hello - my co-worker is here on an L1 but got married last weekend. She is in California and wants to file AOS asap. She is moving to Florida in January. Does anyone know if this change of address will hold processing up?

Thank you!

Ronnie
Old Sep 5th 2017, 6:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I-485 in CA but moving to Miami

Will need to file change of address.

Different offices have different processing speeds but not the general process.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

but I mean, if it takes 5 months to get temp residence and she moves after 3 months - It won't go to the back of the line again in Miami - will it?
Old Sep 5th 2017, 6:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Take longer than that, but no.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Warning:

I changed address (my lease was up) and I used the online change of address.

Turns out it never filtered through to my office and correspondence was sent to my old address. Luckily USPS intercepted it and forwarded it to me.

I should have followed up my change of address with a letter to the office handling my case.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Boiler...and good advice Tom.

I will pass this on.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 7:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My advice is NOT to move during an immigration process. USCIS is notorious for not updating addresses. I suggest she wait to file AOS until after moving to FL

Rene
Old Sep 5th 2017, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

I suggested that Rene - her concern is that although her L1-A runs until 2021, her I-129S is stamped only until Feb 2018. I know it should be OK since it is the employer that files for this - she was just a bit scared to wait....but ti may be the best thing to do.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 8:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnie2406
I suggested that Rene - her concern is that although her L1-A runs until 2021, her I-129S is stamped only until Feb 2018. I know it should be OK since it is the employer that files for this - she was just a bit scared to wait....but ti may be the best thing to do.
She's moving in January. She can file in January. Once the AOS is filed, she is legally allowed to stay in the USA until a decision is made on her AOS, even if her I-129S expires.

But I'm curious... You say it's the employer filing her AOS? Earlier you said she got married this past weekend. I assumed she married a USC and was filing AOS based on marriage to a USC. Is that not the case?

Rene
Old Sep 6th 2017, 2:52 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

but I mean, if it takes 5 months to get temp residence and she moves after 3 months - It won't go to the back of the line again in Miami - will it?
Hmmm there is no such animal as 'temporary residence'. There is conditional permanent residency if the marriage is less than two years in length when adjudicated but it is not temporary. And there is no way of knowing if it will go to the back of line ... I would wager that it would. But then again, if the employer is filing for her AOS then the above sentence does not pertain to her.

Why doesn't she come on here herself as your posting does leave a lot out and makes for some of us question what is really going on and what knowledge she has about immigration processing for adjustment of status.

Last edited by Rete; Sep 6th 2017 at 2:55 am.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Hi Rene - I meant conditional permanent residence - not temp.

Employer files I-129S to renew that. She is filing her own AOS/I-131/I-765. I am going to suggest that she waits until November (when she gets a place - although her work transfer is not until January. We both work in a large consulting company that moves people around). Thanks for the advice!
Old Sep 6th 2017, 2:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Employer files I-129S to renew that. She is filing her own AOS/I-131/I-765. I am going to suggest that she waits until November (when she gets a place - although her work transfer is not until January. We both work in a large consulting company that moves people around). Thanks for the advice!

LOL it is Rete ... not Rene. Rene is the other one ... the prettier, younger one

What is her AOS based on? You didn't say whether she married a USC and is basing it on that or if it is worked related.

If it is marriage based there are more than that to be completed and filed. She really needs to get her tush here on the computer herself because there are many other forms that need to be sent, all at the same time, along with the affidavit of support and a medical, etc., i.e. I-130, I-485, I-131, I-765, I-130A, I-864, and on and on.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

hahaha - sorry Rete I will not opine on who is younger or prettier. AOS is marriage based. She got married last week.

Yea - she knows about all the forms (through me) - I have been through it all myself in the past. She is on honeymoon right now - but I will ask her to set up an account. I am sure she would find much useful advice.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 3:26 pm
Concierge

hahaha - sorry Rete I will not opine on who is younger or prettier. AOS is marriage based. She got married last week.

Yea - she knows about all the forms (through me) - I have been through it all myself in the past. She is on honeymoon right now - but I will ask her to set up an account. I am sure she would find much useful advice.
I know she will. We have very knowledgeable and patient members here who have done that, been there t-shirts that are just about worn out

Be sure that she knows to post in the marriage-based visa section instead of this one which is for other types of immigrating visas.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 5:31 pm

If she will have a stable mailing address in the new state in November, then yes, she can use that on her AOS forms. If she files that early before moving, she should make sure someone is checking the new mailbox, to let her know when her biometrics appointment will be. She should be prepared to fly out there for it, as it will most likely be prior to the February move date.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.