I - 130 QUESTION, please help

Old Jan 31st 2001, 10:52 pm
loverao

I am a naturalized US Citizen. I got married in Aug.'00 (in India). Came back to US and
filed I- 130 for my wife's immigrant visa in the first week of Sept. '00, thinking that US
citizens receive immediate response from INS when sponsoring their spouses. I was wrong!
Besides a letter acknowledging the receipt of my application, I haven't heard anything
from INS (Nebraska Center). It's been 5 months now.Can someone please tell me how long it
normally takes INS (Nebraska) to process such application? What is the next step? Will
they send any letters to my wife in India? Any information re. this matter will be most
welcome! Thank you in anticipation!

Old Feb 1st 2001, 2:33 am
Alistair Bell

I am a naturalized US Citizen. I got married in
> Aug.'00 (in India). Came back to US and filed I- 130 for my wife's immigrant visa in the
> first week of Sept. '00, thinking that US citizens receive immediate response from INS
> when sponsoring their spouses. I was wrong! Besides a letter acknowledging the receipt
> of my application, I haven't heard anything from INS (Nebraska Center). It's been 5
> months now.Can someone please tell me how long it normally takes INS (Nebraska) to
> process such application? What is the next step? Will they send any letters to my wife
> in India? Any information re. this matter will be most welcome!

Hang in there! You will probably be dealt with soon. NSC are taking about five or six
months to deal with these applications at present.

When the application is approved, you will get a letter; a few weeks later your wife
should get a letter in India from the National Visa Center stating that she seems to be
qualified for an immigrant visa and giving a list of the documents she needs to get
together. Once she sends an application and documents to the consulate, they will schedule
an interview with her. Hopefully, you should be re-united by the summer (although it could
go into the fall).

MoonRose will tell you it took two and a half years for her husband's visa to come
through. So if you get it in a year, be grateful!

--
Alistair

*IMPORTANT NOTE* I am not a lawyer and do not dispense legal advice. For accurate
information, always consult a good immigration attorney.