Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Husband booked L1 blanket visa appointments in London, what do I need to do ?

Husband booked L1 blanket visa appointments in London, what do I need to do ?

Old Mar 25th 2017, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Husband booked L1 blanket visa appointments in London, what do I need to do ?

Good morning all,
My husband just booked the appointments for 2 weeks later .
I wonder what do I need to prepare ? Apart from making sure we all dress up like the royal family, lol.....seriously what's the sort of questions I should be expecting ?if anyone who had this experience before, please help me here. Thanks !

And about children, do we have to bring them? I will try my best to make sure these two little monkeys will be in their best behaviour . But knowing life, One will have headache and the other one will desperately need to do a No.2 right before the interview.
Old Mar 25th 2017, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Cric is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Husband booked L1 blanket visa appointments in London, what do I need to do ?

hi S.Sussan

Is he applying for L-1A or L-1B visa?

I just did my blanket L-1A interview last week Friday and 4 working days later I had our passports back in our hand with the visa stamp.

Once you clear security and given a ticket to wait your turn, you will be called up to the first Window where you have to present all your papers and passport. The officer checks all your paper and if all is in order, sends you to pay your $500 fee at another Window and then you go back to him. He then directs you to join the line to wait to be interviewed at another Window. My Interviewer asked me to confirm my job title and what I will be doing. He then sent me away to pay another fee of $105 (back at the 2nd Window) and to return to him. Then he said approved you are all set - wait 5 to 7 days for passport return. That was it.

My partner and I wore a smart top and tailored jacket with jeans.
We do not have children but did see people with children who looked 10 / 11 years old.

My key tips
* make sure you print off all the docs it tells you to bring when you booked your appointment. We saw people being sent away because they did not do that; which must have been bad as the line to enter the Embassy is long!
* bring all the papers your company has given you
* don't bring suitcases/big bags ...and if you can avoid wearing belts then do so (as you have to take them off to go through the scanner)
* wrap up warm and bring a brolly ..just in case it rains while waiting outside in the line
* assume you will be in the Embassy 2 - 4 hours depending on your appointment times

Hope this is helpful
Cric
Old Mar 25th 2017, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Husband booked L1 blanket visa appointments in London, what do I need to do ?

hi Cric:

Thanks for your kind reply.

These tips are very helpful.

He is applying L-1b as I remembered.

From what you said , looks like the interview is very simple and not involved with lots of questions. Sounds like your partner hasn't even been asked any question? is that correct ?

My children are 6 and 4 years old , did you see anyone use ipad in the embassy ? I m thinking to bring it so my children can remain silent...someone ages ago told me before you can even bring the mobile phone in the embassy . is that true ? I hope its not the case anymore.

Our app is at 8am in the morning so I hope we don't have to wait long outside.

once again thanks for sharing !

by the way, where are you moving to ? we are moving to San Jose.

Originally Posted by Cric
hi S.Sussan

Is he applying for L-1A or L-1B visa?

I just did my blanket L-1A interview last week Friday and 4 working days later I had our passports back in our hand with the visa stamp.

Once you clear security and given a ticket to wait your turn, you will be called up to the first Window where you have to present all your papers and passport. The officer checks all your paper and if all is in order, sends you to pay your $500 fee at another Window and then you go back to him. He then directs you to join the line to wait to be interviewed at another Window. My Interviewer asked me to confirm my job title and what I will be doing. He then sent me away to pay another fee of $105 (back at the 2nd Window) and to return to him. Then he said approved you are all set - wait 5 to 7 days for passport return. That was it.

My partner and I wore a smart top and tailored jacket with jeans.
We do not have children but did see people with children who looked 10 / 11 years old.

My key tips
* make sure you print off all the docs it tells you to bring when you booked your appointment. We saw people being sent away because they did not do that; which must have been bad as the line to enter the Embassy is long!
* bring all the papers your company has given you
* don't bring suitcases/big bags ...and if you can avoid wearing belts then do so (as you have to take them off to go through the scanner)
* wrap up warm and bring a brolly ..just in case it rains while waiting outside in the line
* assume you will be in the Embassy 2 - 4 hours depending on your appointment times

Hope this is helpful
Cric
Old Mar 25th 2017, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Cric is an unknown quantity at this point

No the Officer did not ask my partner any questions. But you just never know so best to come prepared to answer all questions in a straightforward and truthful way

If I remember correctly, there is free wi-fi so you can bring mobile phones and iPads but not laptops. if you can keep the kids occupied then i see no reason to not bring them ..im not sure if you can bring in snacks though. Hopefully someone can clarify.

My appointment was 8am and we arrived at 7:40 and there was already a long queue outside. It was cold ...so make sure you come dressed in layers.

We will be moving to SF.
Old Mar 25th 2017, 12:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S.Susan
... did you see anyone use ipad in the embassy ?
Take a look at the sticky threads... the ones at the very top of the main forum page. There's one specifically about taking electronic items into the Embassy.

Ian