Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How to move to america when better!!

How to move to america when better!!

Old Mar 21st 2017, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

kayliegh1607 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to move to america when better!!

Hi, I'm really wanting to move to America at the moment I'm not working in the UK because of metal health problems but Im hoping when I get better I can move because I only feel like I'm going to be happy in America. However I got no family over there and I haven't got a job to be transfer. If everyone can help it will be grateful.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 3:06 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to move to america when better!!

What is your level of education? What have you been doing work wise? The US. despite it's reputation, is one of the hardest countries to get a visa to live and work there.

Check this link: Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

It lists all the ways you can gain a visa, if you do not fit into any of these, you are very unlikely to be coning as anything other than a visitor.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

I only got A levels in travel and tourism and GCSE in travel and tourism and business. At the moment I'm not well enough to go to work but I'm just wondering what type of work do I need to get into when I'm better to have a higher chance of moving?
Old Mar 21st 2017, 3:15 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kayliegh1607
I only got A levels in travel and tourism and GCSE in travel and tourism and business. At the moment I'm not well enough to go to work but I'm just wondering what type of work do I need to get into when I'm better to have a higher chance of moving?
Firstly you will need a high degree in the field you want to emigrate in, even better would be to get a high level position with a multinational company who might be able to send you there as long as they have a base there. Failing that there is always match.com
Old Mar 21st 2017, 3:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I'm really wanting to move to America at the moment I'm not working in the UK because of metal health problems but Im hoping when I get better I can move because I only feel like I'm going to be happy in America. However I got no family over there and I haven't got a job to be transfer. If everyone can help it will be grateful.
Have you ever visited America? Why do you feel that you can only be happy thee? America is not paradise, its just another country and has all the same problems as the UK.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

I just feel like the UK makes me sad and I be a lot happier in American it just seems like such a better life over there :/
Old Mar 21st 2017, 3:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I just feel like the UK makes me sad and I be a lot happier in American it just seems like such a better life over there :/
I'll let our many posters in the USA tell you what life is really like over there, but from experience I can tell you that what you 'think' somewhere will be like, and what it actually 'is' can be miles and miles apart. I'm in Australia and many people like me holidayed here first and then discovered that living here is a totally different matter. Deciding that somewhere is better without even visiting is a really tough call to make. It may be that moving within the UK gives you a better life - depends on what is making you sad? Do you not have friends, family, colleagues around you?

Regardless of that, at present I don't think you would get a visa allowing you to work there anyway, but again the USA posters can set you right there.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 3:39 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The US is no different than the UK. It really isn't. It might be a different bucket, but it's still the same sh*t. A life in the US making low wages is actually alot tougher than in the UK due to the lack of a social safety net.

For example, in the UK if you are 'on the sick' you might still get some sort of benefit. In the US that isn't going to happen unless you are truly disabled. With no income will come no medical insurance, and so on.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

I have really bad OCD and that's stop me from working at the moment because I cant go out but that only thing that making me want to get better is hoping one day I be able to move I feel trapped in the UK, I painted such a nice picture of what I think America looks like and I cant get out of thinking I be better of there even though I probably wont be I just don't like the feeling that I cant move.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 3:55 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but I'm afraid that nothing will improve for you in the US. In fact, to be honest, things will be a lot worse. Your lovely mental picture of what it is like to live here just doesn't exist. You will have no friends and family to support you, no unemployment pay, no job training services, no NHS to take care of you when you aren't feeling too good. The kind of jobs that might give you the chance to transfer to the US need an advanced degree. Then there is no job protection here and you could be fired at any moment. Health insurance is expensive and complicated. Perhaps you should try moving to a different town in the UK or to Europe if you want a change -- try things out a little closer to home rather than setting your sights across the Atlantic. Good luck.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend firstly getting better by seeking readily available medical advice and treatment and then go on a nice vacation.

The US sucks for those on low income, which harsh as it sounds, with your lack of experience you will fall under. That's if you could even get here to live in the first place.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 3:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I've been through several bad times...but nothing compared to how miserable I felt when we first moved to the US. We were literally living the American dream...but that didn't help at all.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 4:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) can be a debilitating condition, as persistent anxious thoughts lead sufferers to repeat an action to the point where it interferes with their everyday life. The cause of the disorder is thought to be a murky combination of biological and environmental factors, but now, researchers in Germany have singled out a protein called SPRED2, the absence of which can cause a key signal pathway in the brain to go into hyperdrive, leading to obsessive compulsive behavior in mice
Is this just a fixation?
Old Mar 21st 2017, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I have really bad OCD and that's stop me from working at the moment because I cant go out but that only thing that making me want to get better is hoping one day I be able to move I feel trapped in the UK, I painted such a nice picture of what I think America looks like and I cant get out of thinking I be better of there even though I probably wont be I just don't like the feeling that I cant move.
Ok, sorry to be brutal, but we cal all paint pictures of what we think it'll be like, but reality is VERY different! If you can't even leave the house, what makes you think that a whole new country, with different laws and way of life, is going to be better?

The simple truth is, it isn't - plus the fact that you have little or no chance of moving here anyway!

I suggest talking to a professional and set some more attainable goals.

Apologies f that sounds blunt, but that's the reality of your situation.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Without further education to degree level, and good work experience you will not be able to obtain a work visa for the US; and without the work visa you cannot move to the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.