Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How long before the US embassy returns the passport

How long before the US embassy returns the passport

Old Jun 23rd 2017, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

thneon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long before the US embassy returns the passport

Hello,

I went to the US Embassy in London last week where my E2 employee visa was approved/transferred. The officer there suggested that the processing time is 3-5 working days. Its almost 8 working days since, and I haven't heard anything.

I see other people posting there experiences and seem to have received there passport back in 3-4 days. Are such delays normal? Is there any way I can check how much longer before I will get my passport back. The visa status check page just says "Your visa case is currently undergoing necessary administrative processing" with no further information

I specially travelled to the UK for the interview (company name change) and had a return ticked booked based on the tentative dates suggested. I have change my return ticket now, but don't want to do it again.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 4:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long before the US embassy returns the passport

"Administrative processing" can last hours or days, weeks, or sometimes months. Some cases appear to end up in permanent administrative processing.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 4:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

There is just no way to predict, sorry. Keep an eye on the case status, and when it says Approved then you can expect it soon after that.

Rene
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 5:37 pm
SDR
Just Joined

SDR is an unknown quantity at this point

A friend of mine has had 3 E2 Visa appointments on the Monday and had them back by the Friday, but there is no guarantee.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 7:10 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thneon
Are such delays normal?
Yes.

Is there any way I can check how much longer before I will get my passport back.
No, there isn't.

I specially travelled to the UK for the interview (company name change) and had a return ticked booked based on the tentative dates suggested.
Alas, US immigration has no interest in your convenience...

I have change my return ticket now, but don't want to do it again.
... and US immigration has no interest in what you want. I suggest you be prepared to be disappointed.

Ian
Old Jun 24th 2017, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the responses. I was under the impression that once the appointment was done, and there were no objections/questions raised during that, the visa stamping is all that remains. The fact that my status check says 'the visa is going administrative processing', it appears there still more things the visa has to go through. Although delayed, I presume the outcome is still a approved visa.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 11:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the responses. I was under the impression that once the appointment was done, and there were no objections/questions raised during that, the visa stamping is all that remains. The fact that my status check says 'the visa is going administrative processing', it appears there still more things the visa has to go through. Although delayed, I presume the outcome is still a approved visa.
I think Admin Processing essentially means more background checks, but if you do a search of the forum you'll find loads of relevant threads and info that might help, and the forum pros will be along shortly I'm sure.

Good luck.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 11:31 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Your visa is approved (you would have been told at the interview if it wasn't) pending the final security checks. Everyone goes through this stage. Mine was on administrative processing for almost 2 days whereas others have reported the status changing a few hours later. The time scale depends on the workload and current numbers working at the embassy (it is summer holiday time after all - it's possible that the visa printing people are down in numbers) and the checks that they are doing and how long the results - potentially from overseas - take to come back. I have lived in 5 countries, have had 3 last names and hold 2 passports so I am not surprised that mine took 2 days.

Just keep checking and it will change to the magic "issued" (not "approved" as someone mentioned before). It may already be issued and no one has updated the website yet. That happens also.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

NeilUKAZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Because of my parent company changing their L blanket visa to an open-ended date, I had to return to the UK and go through the L1 application process on 19th June. Also accompanying me was an engineer I'm relocating to Scottsdale who along with his wife was making his first application. He received his visa last Thursday and mine is still in the 'Administrative Processing' phase with the last file update being Wednesday 21st.

That's meant I've had to delay my return to the US, but it is what it is and I don't think there's ever been a 'standard' processing time. OK, it didn't help that during the document check the handler only witheld the front page of the I797, despite my suggesting she may want to keep the whole document (and I received an email later the same day requesting the whole document....), but the London embassy is notoriously bad at updating the status on CEAC. My previous petition was still in processing according to the site when the courier knocked on my front door with my passport and visa!

I'm now scheduled to return this Thursday but am fairly sure BA will be getting another call from me to push back my return flight.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

It's a waiting game for me too. I had to push my BA ticket to this Friday, which was pretty expensive too with 4th July coming. Really hoping the embassy will progress my application before that! Good luck with yours, keep me posted once it arrives.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 2:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Why did you not just opt to have it delivered to your legal residence? Not knowing your background, i.e. nationality (you could be both a UK citizen and citizen of another country), criminal background, places of travel prior to seeking the visa, etc. no one can stay what your administrative processing entails. Only you know what could be causing a hold up. Contact the delivery service and see if you can change where delivery is to be and go home.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Why did you not just opt to have it delivered to your legal residence? Not knowing your background, i.e. nationality (you could be both a UK citizen and citizen of another country), criminal background, places of travel prior to seeking the visa, etc. no one can stay what your administrative processing entails. Only you know what could be causing a hold up. Contact the delivery service and see if you can change where delivery is to be and go home.
Are you referring to a USA address? The USA address you'd need a passport and visa to return to?

I can't speak for the OP but in my case I have a valid second passport that has a linked ESTA, but I couldn't legally work in Scottsdale if in country on that one even if it has Global Entry, etc (not that Global Entry would help anyway). Therefore my situation is I work from home in the West Midlands, eating into my time allowance granted by HMRC, and hopefully will receive a passport containing a shiny new L1A imminently.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 3:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The OP only has six posts to his credit. The one here does not say he is living in the US.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
The OP only has six posts to his credit. The one here does not say he is living in the US.
Having rented my house when I moved to the US 3 years back, it doesn't exactly feel's like home right now. Plus the family is back in the US as they didn't travel for the visa adjustment. Right now staying with friends and family, but would like to return asap to the US which I can't do without the passport and visa. I do have a passport from another country that expired a long time ago, and something the US embassy knew about when I originally applied for the visa. Presumedly they may have done the background checks back then, but I'll never know.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

It's a waiting game for me too. I had to push my BA ticket to this Friday, which was pretty expensive too with 4th July coming. Really hoping the embassy will progress my application before that! Good luck with yours, keep me posted once it arrives.
Just received the email telling me I'll receive my visa via courier tomorrow. That's seven days processing time, which is the longest I've had to wait, but it'll at least be in my hands tomorrow meaning I can get my flight to Phoenix on Thursday morning as planned.

Any news for yours?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.