Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How easy/difficult is it in practice to get a job in NYC from London?

How easy/difficult is it in practice to get a job in NYC from London?

Old Nov 20th 2016, 9:06 pm
Banned

AndrePettersson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How easy/difficult is it in practice to get a job in NYC from London?

It has been an on and off ambition (not yet resolved) over the past 20 years to live and work in New York City, but before I finally give it up and come to terms with living in the UK, I wish to ask the following:

(1) How easy or difficult is it in practice to directly get there from London by lining up a job in advance? My field is in Human Resources.

(2) How have most Brits living and working in the Big Apple actually got there and through the extremely tight immigration rules?

(3) If they won't hire me directly by applying for roles from London (as they see I am out of the country), would going there on a holiday and visiting employers in person help at all?

(4) What is the minimum standard required in order to become overtime 'an alien of exceptional/extraordinary ability' to self petition for a US Green Card via a National Interest Waiver Petition?

Please note that I am already married so can't use that option to get there, and are also not prepared to sell the family house in the UK just to raise the minimum $500,000 USD to get in via a business investment visa and create 10 full time jobs in a federally targeted area of high unemployment.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 9:12 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How easy/difficult is it in practice to get a job in NYC from London?

Originally Posted by AndrePettersson
(1) How easy or difficult is it in practice to directly get there from London by lining up a job in advance? My field is in Human Resources.
Difficult for most. To get an H-1B visa, the position needs to require a degree, and you must have the relevant degree. Even if you are lucky enough to find an employer in the USA willing to spend $$$ to sponsor your work visa, there are usually more applicants than visas available, so it goes to a lottery drawing.

(2) How have most Brits living and working in the Big Apple actually got there and through the extremely tight immigration rules?
I'm not one of them, but just from reading this forum for the past 13 years, it seems most come via marriage to a USC or via an L visa (company transfer).

(3) If they won't hire me directly by applying for roles from London (as they see I am out of the country), would going there on a holiday and visiting employers in person help at all?
If you are lucky enough to find an interested employer, the employer will invite you over for an interview. I would say simply cold-calling while on vacation in the USA won't get you anywhere.

(4) What is the minimum standard required in order to become overtime 'an alien of exceptional/extraordinary ability' to self petition for a US Green Card via a National Interest Waiver Petition?
I don't think there is any minimum standard required...it's evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Rene
Old Nov 20th 2016, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How easy/difficult is it in practice to get a job in NYC from London?

How easy or difficult is it in practice to directly get there from London by lining up a job in advance?
Getting a job offer isn't the real issue. The real issue is getting the company to sponsor you for a visa. That'll cost them between $5,000-$10,000... so you've got to seriously ask yourself the question, "What do I bring to the table that'll make it worth it to them?"

My field is in Human Resources.
Without knowing your education, skills, or experience... saying you're in HR is pretty much meaningless. Even without knowing, I'm going to hazard a guess that there are already many thousands of people in the US who have similar or superior education, skills, and experience, who can start work tomorrow if asked, and who don't need an employer to spend a boat load of $$ to sponsor them. Those people: they are your competition for jobs.

Ian
Old Nov 20th 2016, 9:45 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Even without knowing, I'm going to hazard a guess that there are already many thousands of people in the US who have similar or superior education, skills, and experience, who can start work tomorrow if asked, and who don't need an employer to spend a boat load of $$ to sponsor them. Those people: they are your competition for jobs.

Ian
And I would add that, in aiming for NYC, the OP is setting the bar incredibly high, as the best and the brightest from across the US, those with the ability to start work tomorrow cited by ian-mstm, are also looking to move to the city.

I also note that the OP is married -- if you were lucky enough to find an employer willing to save a job for you and pay the fees, it is likely that it would be on a visa that would not permit your OH to work. Surviving on one salary in NYC would not be fun.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Transfer with you employer would be the best bet.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

london_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond repute

I transferred with work and am looking forward to going back. What attracts you so much to New York? It's really no better or worse than London, just different.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 1:50 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
..... Without knowing your education, skills, or experience... saying you're in HR is pretty much meaningless. Even without knowing, I'm going to hazard a guess that there are already many thousands of people in the US who have similar or superior education, skills, and experience, who can start work tomorrow if asked, and who don't need an employer to spend a boat load of $$ to sponsor them. Those people: they are your competition for jobs. ......
I see a bigger problem with the "HR skill set" - much of it is related to employment law and related topics such as benefits laws and regulations, so I see someone from the UK as being less attractive than most local potential recruits.

As Boiler said, your best bet is to transfer with your employer, where your knowledge of your employer's culture and systems will partially mitigate your shortcomings in experience of US employment law.

To answer your original question, it is doable but tough, I did it myself (I am not in HR), but I already had a visa in progress, so I just need to grab the attention of potential employers. .... It was still very tough, and likely impossible without the assistance of a well connected recruitment agent. It took a trip to New York at my own expense to turn "interest" into "interviews".
Old Nov 21st 2016, 4:57 am
Banned

I work for a large global charity in London as an HR Advisor, but they don't usually do overseas transfers or just directly hire local people over there.

I have studied and passed both the UK and US professional HR exams to the highest level, so could possibly market myself as dual qualified, but still don't naturally have the US HR experience which count against me.

I think that in all honestly, as sponsorship will be difficult to justify to the government (that a U.S. Citizen or resident alien there can't perform the same role), that National Interest Waiver petition where I apply direct as an alien of extraordinary/exceptional ability may be the only realistic option, but still a very challenging standard and criteria to meet.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 5:11 am
Banned

Originally Posted by london_calling
I transferred with work and am looking forward to going back. What attracts you so much to New York? It's really no better or worse than London, just different.
I have always seen it as a slight step up from London, or like London, but a slightly larger scale to live and work in. Europe's and America's financial centre and most important cities.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 5:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you have yet to enquire, presumably they do not have employees of extraordinary/exceptional ability looking to do this.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 12:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... I think that in all honestly, as sponsorship will be difficult to justify to the government (that a U.S. Citizen or resident alien there can't perform the same role), .....
That isn't necessary for an L-1A/B, an H-1B, an E-2, nor an O-1.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

H Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

I would say your best bet is find a UK employer who actively transfers people to the US and work for them with the aim of then getting a transfer on an L1. That is how we got here.

I lived in London for 12 years - so far been in NYC for 2.5 years. I would say if you get the chance definitely go for the move as it is worth it.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

PeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by H Bomb
I would say your best bet is find a UK employer who actively transfers people to the US and work for them with the aim of then getting a transfer on an L1. That is how we got here.

I lived in London for 12 years - so far been in NYC for 2.5 years. I would say if you get the chance definitely go for the move as it is worth it.
The city is better but the people aren't. If you get the chance jump at it. Someone mentioned it's fiercely competitive. Which is totally right here. You can hire fantastic people for not much in NYC. Everyone living the expensive dream.

I came over with a transfer. Can't see much else as an option for you. If you want it you can make it happen and you should go for it. Just listen to Ian Rene Pulaski Boiler, their advice is straightforward and on point always.

I love NYC but want to leave. I had my taster and it was great but this country has so much to offer.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 6:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The OP has been given good advice therefore I am closing this thread.