Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How does pending I-130 affect VWP and/or B2 entries?

How does pending I-130 affect VWP and/or B2 entries?

Old Sep 23rd 2009, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

rotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nice
Default How does pending I-130 affect VWP and/or B2 entries?

After a long wait I am about to become a US citizen. I intended to file I-130 for my sister who visits me here in the US (she usually comes for 2 weeks every year, so it is definitely not excessive).

I know that filing I-130 shows immigrant intent. Therefore the question is: how badly will filing I-130 hurt her chances of VWP admission at the border? Should she apply for B2 before I file for I-130? She had a 10 year B2 before but it is now expired.

We probably won't bother with I-130 if it makes her effectively ineligible to visit the US for next 10 years or so...
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does pending I-130 affect VWP and/or B2 entries?

Originally Posted by rotoiti
... how badly will filing I-130 hurt her chances of VWP admission at the border?
Since she won't get a visa for about 10 years, I'm pretty sure it won't hurt her chances at all. On each trip, she needs to show ongoing ties back to her home country. The officers at the border will not know about the I-130 until her PD becomes current (and maybe not even then), and she is not obligated to disclose that she has an I-130 pending unless she is specifically asked about it.

Ian
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 6:00 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

A pending or approved I-130 can cause concern. There is more concern for a spouse, parent, child of a USC than for a sibling. The concerns can be overcome. Someone with a pending I-130 and frequent long trips close together on a B-2 could be a real problem.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 8:05 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rotoiti
After a long wait I am about to become a US citizen. I intended to file I-130 for my sister who visits me here in the US (she usually comes for 2 weeks every year, so it is definitely not excessive).

I know that filing I-130 shows immigrant intent. Therefore the question is: how badly will filing I-130 hurt her chances of VWP admission at the border? Should she apply for B2 before I file for I-130? She had a 10 year B2 before but it is now expired.

We probably won't bother with I-130 if it makes her effectively ineligible to visit the US for next 10 years or so...
Hi:

On the pedantic side, the filing by you does not, repeat not, show "immigrant intent."

First of all, you have filed it, not her.

Also, the term "immigrant" is defined as any alien who does not fall within one of the specified categories, one of which is 101(a)(15)(B) under which the B-2/VW people enter. [Note that a K-1 is a "non-immigrant" who intends to take permanent status].

Your sister has a good immigration history. All she has to show is that she has no current intent to immigrate at this time.

If your sister should be asked, she can just say "That is so far in the future, and who knows what the future will bring?" and say it with a smile.

You may run into the Border Guard from Hell, but there are many people who do just what your sister will be doing with no problem.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

rotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nice

Thank you, answers much appreciated.