Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Hoping to move to NY with SO - any advice on jobs & Visas?

Hoping to move to NY with SO - any advice on jobs & Visas?

Old Dec 18th 2014, 10:57 am
Just Joined

ziggles92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hoping to move to NY with SO - any advice on jobs & Visas?

Hi There!

A little back story - SO and I have been together for 3 years - and have known each other for about 7. We're in a fun, stable and happy relationship. He bought a house in East London and we've been living together and renovating it for 7 months. In short - things are great.

Yesterday my SO was offered an amazing job in New York. It's a great opportunity and very exciting. We've always said we wanted to move there for a while, but we didn't think it would happen for a year or two. He works for a large international company who have offices all over - so moving for him would be fairly simple as the company would just sort most of it out (I think?). If he accepts after new year (which is looking very likely) we reckon it'll take around 6 months for his company to sort everything out - which isn't very long!

However we both want myself to move over with him. The company I work for is very small and only has one office - so I'll need to find a new job which I'm happy to do. I'm know it will be very difficult - but I'm ready for the challenge.

So - does anyone have any advice/tips they could please give me?
What is the best place for me to start? Should I aim to get a job whilst still over in the UK? (which I think is the best option?)

Is it possible for me to get a Visa which allows me to move and then look for a job? (I think I'd be able to apply for a B-2 visa, which you renew every 6 months, but can I get a job on that visa?)

Has anyone been in a similar situation?
I've also read Pulaski Simplified & Pulaski Ways before someone sends me that way

Also - I'm not sure whether getting married is an option - but I'd rather consider other options. Even though we're in this relationship for the long run - I'd rather not rush getting married.

Apologies for the massive wall of text - any advice is massively appreciated.

Thanks
Old Dec 18th 2014, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hoping to move to NY with SO - any advice on jobs & Visas?

As it stands right now all you'd qualify for, unmarried, is a B-2 visitor's visa annotated for a "co-habiting partner" and you wouldn't be able to work on that.

If you marry then you can get a derivative visa from whatever visa he gets. It sounds like he'll be getting an L-1 visa which means as his spouse you'd qualify for an L-2 which you can work on, but you have to apply for a work permit (EAD) which takes about 2-3 months to be processed.

The other, less likely, possibility is that they try to get him over on an H-1B which would qualify you for an H-4 if you marry but you can't work on that until the company starts him on the road to a Green Card should they do so.

So if you want to go with him and work, you either marry or have to find your own independent work related route.
Old Dec 18th 2014, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Right ok! Thanks for clearing that up

Looks like I better get applying for some jobs then!
Old Dec 18th 2014, 12:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ziggles92
Do be aware that even if you can find a job offer/sponsor (what do you do?), if you're moving on a H1-B then the employer couldn't apply until April next year, and you wouldn't be able to start work until October. Not sure how that fits in with your SO's timescale for moving, but it's something to be aware of.

It would be a heck of a lot easier to get married, and after 3 years you certainly wouldn't be rushing in to it!

Best of luck.

Old Dec 18th 2014, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Hi! I'm a Graphic Designer.

Ok, that wasn't something I was aware of, but thanks for letting me know! We'll have to see how things pan out!

Thanks so much for your reply
Old Dec 18th 2014, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

One other tidbit... if you were perhaps thinking of finding a UK company with branches in the US - that's not going to work, because you must have worked with the company for 1 year prior to becoming eligible for a visa that would allow you to transfer to the US. Speaking of which, how long has your SO worked for his company?

Realistically though, getting married really is the most simple solution.

Ian
Old Dec 18th 2014, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

I did think about that - but thanks for letting me know that's not an option!

He's worked at his company for about 2 and a half years.

Thanks again for your reply!
Old Dec 18th 2014, 1:29 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Hi There!

A little back story - SO and I have been together for 3 years - and have known each other for about 7. We're in a fun, stable and happy relationship. He bought a house in East London and we've been living together and renovating it for 7 months. In short - things are great.

Also - I'm not sure whether getting married is an option - but I'd rather consider other options. Even though we're in this relationship for the long run - I'd rather not rush getting married.
Known each other seven years, been together for three, live together -- that doesn't sound as if marriage would be "rushing it"! Marriage will allow you to be together on the same continent and get on with your lives without jumping through immigration hoops. Sounds like a great reason to get married! C'mon, go for it!
Old Dec 18th 2014, 1:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
...... Realistically though, getting married really is the most simple solution. ....
This.

A quick trip to the court house on a recce visit to New York would be easiest, and no one need ever know, other than the US Customs and Immigration department that processes visa applications and your SO's company's lawyer who handles the visa application. You could still have the "big wedding" back in the UK later if that's what you want.

Think it over, but it really is the only way to go, and an easy decision to make if you are already in a committed relationship.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 18th 2014 at 1:52 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2014, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Haha thanks for the advice guys!

I'll show him this thread and we'll have a chat about our options
Old Dec 18th 2014, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm assuming the OP is born in '92, so can understand that marriage at 22 seems like a rush. Nonetheless, it's really the best way to deal with US immigration. There is also the issue of health insurance (you can piggyback on a spouse's, but generally not a partner's), so even trying to do a B-2 until you found a job would have this additional headache. Not to mention that even if you find an employer willing to deal with the cost and time delay of an H-1B, it has been going to a lottery in recent years, where there have been something like 3 times as many applicants as visas available.

If you're prepared to move around the world for him, what's a bit of marriage to help things along the way
Old Dec 18th 2014, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Good detective work! I'll be 23 in a month.

Ah yes, I haven't really thought about health insurance. There's so much to think about!

Thanks for your reply
Old Dec 18th 2014, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retzie
I'm assuming the OP is born in '92, so can understand that marriage at 22 seems like a rush. Nonetheless, it's really the best way to deal with US immigration. There is also the issue of health insurance (you can piggyback on a spouse's, but generally not a partner's), so even trying to do a B-2 until you found a job would have this additional headache. Not to mention that even if you find an employer willing to deal with the cost and time delay of an H-1B, it has been going to a lottery in recent years, where there have been something like 3 times as many applicants as visas available.

If you're prepared to move around the world for him, what's a bit of marriage to help things along the way
Maybe I should create another marriage app for people who need a visa I think it could be the next big thing.
Old Dec 18th 2014, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

And then if my SO doesn't want to get married - then I'll just find someone on the app to marry for the visa and problem solved right?! Haha
Old Dec 19th 2014, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of repeating, if you want to move over here and have any kind of life with your SO, marriage is the only option. There are about a million young, talented graphic designers trying to make it in NYC so it's highly unlikely that any company would bother with the expense and time that it takes to bring in someone on a visa, especially someone so young and therefore with little demonstrable experience (no offence meant).

Health insurance should be one of your primary concerns. As others say, you can only be added to your partner's policy if you are married. To be insured by yourself outside of a company program would probably be prohibitively expensive. To put things into perspective, it costs over $100 to have simple eye test (like the free ones at specsavers) if you are paying out of your own pocket.

Anyway, I wish you a lot of luck while making your decisions: it is not easy and I can understand why you are hesitant at your age. Unfortunately, the USA is really pretty backwards when it comes to 'modern relationships' (I think it's mainly due to the health insurance situation mixed together with religious extremism ).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.