Holiday to America

Old May 22nd 2015, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

willhampshire08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Holiday to America

hi I'm looking to go America soon as a holiday with the family but I Have a criminal record for theft I got 24 weeks custody suspended for 12 months would this stop me going. I would be going after the 12 months have gone any help please thanks

Last edited by willhampshire08; May 22nd 2015 at 5:38 pm.
Old May 22nd 2015, 5:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday to America

Welcome to BE.

I have moved your thread over to our U.S. Immigration forum. No doubt someone will be along shortly to help you.
Old May 22nd 2015, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it could well invalidate the VWP (visa waiver program) and you have to apply for a B visa from the US Embassy. This involves a fee and a visit to the embassy in London for an interview.

There are many factors that would decide the likelihood of the visa being issued like how old were you? How long ago was it? What was the MAXIMUM sentence for the offense (not what you got, but what you could have got), etc.

Without giving too much personal information, if you can fill in the blanks, we may be able to give a better idea of the possible outcome (although we can't TELL you what it'll be, we can make educated guesses based on past experiences, both personal and from what we've seen on this board).

Whatever, do yourself a favour and don't book anything until you have a visa in hand!
Old May 22nd 2015, 6:54 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Reading between the lines, it seems as though the offence is relatively recent. In which case, I don't fancy the OP's chances much.
Old May 22nd 2015, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks
Old May 22nd 2015, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Yes, it could well invalidate the VWP (visa waiver program) and you have to apply for a B visa from the US Embassy. This involves a fee and a visit to the embassy in London for an interview.

There are many factors that would decide the likelihood of the visa being issued like how old were you? How long ago was it? What was the MAXIMUM sentence for the offense (not what you got, but what you could have got), etc.

Without giving too much personal information, if you can fill in the blanks, we may be able to give a better idea of the possible outcome (although we can't TELL you what it'll be, we can make educated guesses based on past experiences, both personal and from what we've seen on this board).

Whatever, do yourself a favour and don't book anything until you have a visa in hand!
Hi I could have been sentence to 1 year in prison I'm 33 my first offence it was 2 weeks ago but I'm not going till summer 2017
Old May 22nd 2015, 7:19 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willhampshire08
Hi I could have been sentence to 1 year in prison I'm 33 my first offence it was 2 weeks ago but I'm not going till summer 2017
Even an application for a B visa in late 2016 would likely lead to a rejection in my opinion. The offense was very recent, and will still be recent in immigration terms 18 months in the future.

That said, you only lose the application fee if you try - and the chances of you going are zero if you don't apply!
Old May 22nd 2015, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Er, no. No you're not! Think AT LEAST 2025, if not later.
Old May 22nd 2015, 7:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The factors that appear to affect the liklihood of a visa being issued to someone with a criminal record include:
  • the severity of the crime (that you were sentenced to custody for a first offence, albeit suspended, tells us it wasn't a trivial matter)
  • the number of years that have passed during which you have settled down and shown good character - such as holding a steady job, having a family, buying a home, etc., and especially staying out of trouble
  • your relative youth and naivity at the time of the offence - the older you are the more likely it is that "you should have known better"
  • the time that has passed relative to your age - three years after a crime might lead to a visa being issued if you were only 19 when you committed the crime, but as you were 33 when you committed your crime, you will likely have to show good character, remorse, and having reformed your morals for a lot longer than three years before a visa is likely to be issued.
You might get a visa sooner than Guindalf predicts, but personally I wouldn't bet on it.

While Civilservant correctly says you won't know for sure if you can get a visa unless you apply, I think the probability of you getting a visa in at least the next three years is so low that you would be better advised to save your money.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 22nd 2015 at 7:47 pm.
Old May 22nd 2015, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The factors that appear to affect the liklihood of a visa being issued to someone with a criminal record include:
  • the severity of the crime (that you were sentenced to custody for a first offence, albeit suspended, tells us it wasn't a trivial matter)
  • the number of years that have passed during which you have settled down and shown good character - such as holding a steady job, having a family, buying a home, etc., and especially staying out of trouble
  • your relative youth and naivity at the time of the offence - the older you are the more likely it is that "you should have known better"
  • the time that has passed relative to your age - three years after a crime might lead to a visa being issued if you were only 19 when you committed the crime, but as you were 33 when you committed your crime, you will likely have to show good character, remorse, and having reformed your morals for a lot longer than three years before a visa is likely to be issued.
You might get a visa sooner than Guindalf predicts, but personally I wouldn't bet on it.

While Civilservant correctly says you won't know for sure if you can get a visa unless you apply, I think the probability of you getting a visa in at least the next three years is so low that you would be better advised to save your money.
Thanks for all advice I will ring the embassy to see where I stand thanks
Old May 22nd 2015, 8:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

No! Don't do that!

The US embassy does not have anyone available on the phone to provide advice. Worse than that, anything the people who do answer the phone might say is (i) worthless, (ii) cannot be relied on for anything, and (iii) might be actually wrong!

If you want formal advice on US immigration law and the issuing visa process the only place to go for it is an experienced immigration lawyer. Bear in mind that a lawyer charges for services provided and might be inclined to recommend applying even if the chances of getting a visa are negligible because that is how he/she gets paid.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 22nd 2015 at 8:09 pm.
Old May 22nd 2015, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

We have already told you where you stand.

You aren't eligible to use the VWP, you won't get a B2 visa for quite a while and therefore you won't be going on holiday to the USA.
Old May 22nd 2015, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
We have already told you where you stand.

You aren't eligible to use the VWP, you won't get a B2 visa for quite a while and therefore you won't be going on holiday to the USA.
I no what you have said but I have had loads of comments about this and other are says that I can get a esta visa but there are 2 questions on there which are 1 have you ever been arrested or convicted for a crime that resulted in serious damage to property or serious harm to another person. Which is a no
2 have you ever violated and law related to possessing using illegal drugs. That was a no to
Old May 22nd 2015, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

I no what you have said but I have had loads of comments about this and other are says that I can get a esta visa but there are 2 questions on there which are 1 have you ever been arrested or convicted for a crime that resulted in serious damage to property or serious harm to another person. Which is a no
2 have you ever violated and law related to possessing using illegal drugs. That was a no to
If you'd read the ESTA guidance correctly and understood what a crime involving moral turpitude was, you'd also have realised that the answer to the first question is YES in your case.
Old May 22nd 2015, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
If you'd read the ESTA guidance correctly and understood what a crime involving moral turpitude was, you'd also have realised that the answer to the first question is YES in your case.
This. "Harm to another person" doesn't just mean physical assault.

Entering the US having completed a fraudulent ESTA risks you being permanently banned from entering the US!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.